Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
When does a new Member become "Established"
and able to send over five PMs / Private Messages per 24 hours?

Issue: Post handling and restrictions affecting very new members.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Very new members are limited as to how many Private Messages, or "PMs", they can send; the limit is 5 PMs per 24 hours. This has been done because we have had people who have signed up to abuse the system in some way, sometimes manifested by sending members harassing PMs or with offers or other activity prohibited by the FlyerTalk Rules, and our members' privacy is very important to us. The post from a prior Administrator states:

Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer

New members have a PM cap limit until they reach a post threshold. We don't really advertise the specific post threshold, as it can change and is in place primarily to prevent spammers from abusing the PM system, so don't want to make it easy to circumvent, but it is generally pretty minimal.
Note: Very new members of FlyerTalk may see posts referred to a moderation queue for moderator inspection and disposition if those posts meet certain criteria; that issue is dealt with in another thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...w-missing.html

We apologise for any temporary inconveniences this may cause; they're temporary, and made necessary based on experience and some bad actors' misbehavior.

Print Wikipost

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by DC2NYC
I'm hitting a URL wall despite not having anything I'd consider a URL in the post I've drafted. Not sure how to get around that.
Remove any hash, ampersand, "at sign" or other special characters. FT has its own quaint uses for some of these.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:49 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by DC2NYC
I'm hitting a URL wall despite not having anything I'd consider a URL in the post I've drafted. Not sure how to get around that.
Are you posting a photo or including a hashtag or #n numeral? Those are technically URLs from the system's perspective.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Is this Wiki entry still up to date? Looks like the PM system entirely is disabled for new accounts with less than 5 messages (and actually, I think I have 5 and still see the error saying "The administrator has restricted use of the private message system to members with less than 5 posts.", so I wonder if that error message is out of date as well?
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Agbaar
Is this Wiki entry still up to date? Looks like the PM system entirely is disabled for new accounts with less than 5 messages (and actually, I think I have 5 and still see the error saying "The administrator has restricted use of the private message system to members with less than 5 posts.", so I wonder if that error message is out of date as well?
This indicates you only have 4 (and would only have been 3 when you posted).

Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:23 pm

If this is true how come a new member with 0 posts can send me a harassing PM?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 1:58 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by s0ssos
If this is true how come a new member with 0 posts can send me a harassing PM?
Could you please forward the PM to me?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Could you please forward the PM to me?
Unfortunately I deleted it already. Username "Adam Brien" and I reported it some it might exist somewhere?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.