Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
When does a new Member become "Established"
and able to send over five PMs / Private Messages per 24 hours?

Issue: Post handling and restrictions affecting very new members.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Very new members are limited as to how many Private Messages, or "PMs", they can send; the limit is 5 PMs per 24 hours. This has been done because we have had people who have signed up to abuse the system in some way, sometimes manifested by sending members harassing PMs or with offers or other activity prohibited by the FlyerTalk Rules, and our members' privacy is very important to us. The post from a prior Administrator states:

Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer

New members have a PM cap limit until they reach a post threshold. We don't really advertise the specific post threshold, as it can change and is in place primarily to prevent spammers from abusing the PM system, so don't want to make it easy to circumvent, but it is generally pretty minimal.
Note: Very new members of FlyerTalk may see posts referred to a moderation queue for moderator inspection and disposition if those posts meet certain criteria; that issue is dealt with in another thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...w-missing.html

We apologise for any temporary inconveniences this may cause; they're temporary, and made necessary based on experience and some bad actors' misbehavior.

Print Wikipost

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
good idea that seems to work well, limits spam without blocking entirely
I agree.

Whenever this topic comes up, I have a hard time imagining why a new member (or someone who has never been at all active here) would need to send so many PMs.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Gold; HH <>; IHG Plat; Hertz Gold.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree.

Whenever this topic comes up, I have a hard time imagining why a new member (or someone who has never been at all active here) would need to send so many PMs.
I have been a viewing member (guest) for years. I had to register for a question which was unique and could not found in FAQ or any combined thread. Thus a little more PM needed -- I guess I am not at the center of Gaussian distribution....
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pigblackdog
I have been a viewing member (guest) for years. I had to register for a question which was unique and could not found in FAQ or any combined thread. Thus a little more PM needed -- I guess I am not at the center of Gaussian distribution....
In that case, why not ask and have the discussion in a thread you start in the appropriate forum so that people later with the same question/issue will be able to view what was said.

Sending a big bunch of PMs is an inefficient way to get information and means that others cannot correct the information you gather. So it's bad for you, bad for the people you send your question, and bad for future users of FT.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:38 pm

PM restrictions

Trying to reply to a PM and it says over daily limit (think I sent 3 maybe 12 hours ago) and to contact administrator. Can't PM administrator due to restriction...
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait a day. People with a low post count and/or short time on FT have restrictions.
You can PM a moderator. Bottom right of the sub forum screen if the forum has a moderator.

Cross posting is against FT rules
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dflyerau
Trying to reply to a PM and it says over daily limit (think I sent 3 maybe 12 hours ago) and to contact administrator. Can't PM administrator due to restriction...
Please read the wiki at the top of the page for further information.

Your cross-posted thread in the Information Desk forum has been deleted; cross-posting is not encouraged on FlyerTalk.

Thank you,

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Catch-22: how, if at all, is it possible to notify someone with whom you are exchanging PMs about possibly meeting up for a drink between flights in the next couple of days that their mailbox is full and isn't accepting any more PMs?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:56 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by jrl767
Catch-22: how, if at all, is it possible to notify someone with whom you are exchanging PMs about possibly meeting up for a drink between flights in the next couple of days that their mailbox is full and isn't accepting any more PMs?
Click on their profile and see if they accept emails. Many of us do.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:58 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by jrl767
Some members might allow you to email them - if you click on their handle, there might be an option for "Send e-mail to ________". Note that you won't see this if they don't allow this in their board options.

Edit to add: SanDiego1K and I were crafting our posts at the same time.

Only other idea I can think of would be to find out if they've posted recently and reply in that thread that you are looking to send them a PM but can't because their mailbox is full.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
thanks, two very workable alternatives
Old Sep 16, 2015, 3:38 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Yes, jrl767, I got several of your eMails!
Old Sep 19, 2015, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by lo2e
Some members might allow you to email them - if you click on their handle, there might be an option for "Send e-mail to ________". Note that you won't see this if they don't allow this in their board options.

Edit to add: SanDiego1K and I were crafting our posts at the same time.

Only other idea I can think of would be to find out if they've posted recently and reply in that thread that you are looking to send them a PM but can't because their mailbox is full.
My understanding of the way this works is that the system does allow the recipient to see the sender's email address but does not show the recipient's email address to the sender. Of course, this would be the email account that is registered to FT in your account.

BTW, moderators can apparently send email even if you've picked the option to disallow email communications on FT. Also, moderators apparently can send PMs to full mailboxes on FT. I'm not sure whether the recipient can then reply to the moderator in such cases.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My understanding of the way this works is that the system does allow the recipient to see the sender's email address but does not show the recipient's email address to the sender. Of course, this would be the email account that is registered to FT in your account.

BTW, moderators can apparently send email even if you've picked the option to disallow email communications on FT. Also, moderators apparently can send PMs to full mailboxes on FT. I'm not sure whether the recipient can then reply to the moderator in such cases.
To paragraph 1, the email is sent via an online form; the sender does not ever see the intended recipient's email address. The recipient does see the sender's email address, and of course can reply in accord with the email program used by the recipient.

As to paragraph 2, I'm not sure about the latter; when a PM box / folder is full, it's full. But if a recipient of a PM wishes to reply to a moderator, of course they can.

Moderators or Admin can send an e-mail, and a record is made of that e-mail, as it must be through an automated process with restrictions that is available to moderators (no personal or trivial issues, only formal FlyerTalk related matters); replies are sent to the moderator's email address of record (usually, through a FlyerTalk specific email address).
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:56 pm

I too was hoping to have my PM restriction lifted, not sure if the correct place to ask, but thought I'd check.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Per the wiki above, there is a limit on PMs for new members and those with low post counts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.