Search problems

Old Mar 1, 2008, 1:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ed1
Are we experiencing indexing problems again? I just did a search by a user name and the most recent (search by date) was two days ago, yet the user has had posts yesterday and today and the post I'm looking for was either last night or this morning.
Ditto.

More generally search is hampering maintenance of the Hilton Family Hotel Master Thread, and I suspect also Canarsie's ongoing efforts to rationalise threads in the Hilton forum.

To clarify, I'm posting here as a general member. I have some FAQs (the Hilton hotels thread is just one example) and updating these is difficult at the moment, thus quality of information is suffering.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Mar 1, 2008 at 2:43 pm
Old Mar 1, 2008, 2:05 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Ditto.

More generally search is hampering maintenance of the Hilton Family Hotel Master Thread, and I suspect also Canarsie's ongoing efforts to rationalise threads in the Hilton forum.
As I've said before, for the general FTer, it's just an inconvenience and at worst it will cause someone to post a new thread or not post an answer (like my problem yesterday) because it doesn't show up in a search of that users posts. For the MODs, it's a problem that can prevent them from doing their jobs.

For a while communications were pretty good, and I posted that in the ORF, where I had previously posted that the lack of communications on IB's part was the major problem on the search issue. Maybe it's time for the MODs and/or TalkBoard to start griping about the search problems and the lack of communication/cooperation from IB on these issues.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by ed1
For a while communications were pretty good, and I posted that in the ORF, where I had previously posted that the lack of communications on IB's part was the major problem on the search issue. Maybe it's time for the MODs and/or TalkBoard to start griping about the search problems and the lack of communication/cooperation from IB on these issues.
I tried bringing that up to TB, but the response wasn't too positive:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787503
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:26 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ed1
Are we experiencing indexing problems again?
Yes, the search index has been "stuck" (yet again ) as of 27 Feb 2008, 13:xx EST. Search results do not include anything posted after the said date/time.

To test search index, you can use the following link and select [Sort by Post Date]:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...+Now&query=you
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:10 pm
ed1

Originally Posted by KVS
Yes, the search index has been "stuck" (yet again ) as of 27 Feb 2008, 13:xx EST. Search results do not include anything posted after the said date/time.

To test search index, you can use the following link and select [Sort by Post Date]:
That pretty much agrees with the time frame I was seeing in my searches.

I wish someone would get to work on the indexing problem. It will probably slow everything down, but this is getting ridiculous.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 2:40 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by KVS

02/27/2008 04:41:39 (CST). According to the beta search, that's the last post I made. I actually have a couple of more since then but none was showing up.

Being non-techie, I really don't understand how a search improvement would cause so many "unexpected" issues.

Yes, it's true our traditional, classic search can't do 3-letter search. It had worked quite well for me, with a little boost from Google sometimes. I liked the format. It generally gave me a good enough hit from the search result. I even got to see posts from just minutes ago.

As for the beta IB search, yes, that's nice now I can do 3-letter search, which I don't do that often anyway. Yes, it will even show me posts from ages ago (2-3 or even 4-year), which I couldn't in the classic search but I hardly had to dig up threads from that age.

Meanwhile, I also get to see the phantom pages/posts that were deleted and (supposedly) invisible from the general members. Even with an added data server, the search index will be unannouncedly out of sync, so we don't get to see those recently-made posts. The format/layout doesn't tell me straightforwardly if new posts are made to the threads I am following. We need to do the workaround-subscription-folder trick in order to get the result we can really enjoy.

Most of all, the general FT public don't get advanced notice at all, as far as the IB technology improvement goes. If enough folks complained, we may get a response from Kevin. It had happened at least three times this year that FT was unbearably slow, just out of the blue. We didn't know if that's a scheduled maintenance issue or what.

It seems to me there was never a schedule to perform whatever fixes, big or small, IB needed to do.

As far as the technology goes, IB is not effectively communicating to FTers. Most of the times, I feel ignored when reporting technical issues. Maybe the issues I ran into were not significantly enough.

However, if the problems we are reporting seem to be ongoing, don't we at least get some say monthly progress updates? Is this too much to ask?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 2:48 am

For what it's worth, "search" isn't picking up recent posts when I use it either.

A suggestion: When the page comes up saying
Remember, this is a beta test. With your feedback, we can improve this search tool to be the best it can be!
perhaps there could be a link added through which the feedback report can be made?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Id be interested to know if FT has seen a drop in traffic since the new search began. I certainly have cut my time on FT by 75-80% since I cant easily search for threads like before and I seem to not have replies to threads older than 2-3 days (whereas in the past I would scroll down and find posts to threads as old as 2-3 weeks, a complete indication that the new search is not performing its job for others as well). This is very sad, and FT has yet to switch back to the old version. I wonder how many people will switch to other message boards for posting related airline topics. Ive noticed a lot more FFP related posts on airliners.net lately...is that going to steal FTers away?! Hope not, but who knows.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:18 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
You suspect correctly.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 3:26 pm
ed1

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Id be interested to know if FT has seen a drop in traffic since the new search began. I certainly have cut my time on FT by 75-80% since I cant easily search for threads like before and I seem to not have replies to threads older than 2-3 days (whereas in the past I would scroll down and find posts to threads as old as 2-3 weeks, a complete indication that the new search is not performing its job for others as well). This is very sad, and FT has yet to switch back to the old version. I wonder how many people will switch to other message boards for posting related airline topics. Ive noticed a lot more FFP related posts on airliners.net lately...is that going to steal FTers away?! Hope not, but who knows.
The subscribed threads workaround I described below might help:

Originally Posted by ed1
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Most frustrating to me has been the Search > Advanced Search > Search by User Name.
That's how I keep up with threads where I've had input (where I posted). The current search feature does NOT allow me to see those posts, organized by most recent post date (as the old search feature did).

This limits the usefulness of FT to me at the moment, which is a shame...
While it's only a work-around, and it only works if you use the default auto-subscribe to all threads to which you post, Quick Links>Subscribed Threads will be ordered by the thread with the most recent post to it on top (the same way the threads list in the forums do). This is what I've been using for years to track both the threads where I've posted and those where I've subscribed (even though I haven't posted in them).
This doesn't depend on the indexing being up to date, but works in real-time like the forum index does.

Last edited by ed1; Mar 2, 2008 at 3:33 pm
Old Mar 3, 2008, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ed1
The subscribed threads workaround I described below might help:

This doesn't depend on the indexing being up to date, but works in real-time like the forum index does.
Yes, and thanks ed1. It was helpful, but still many discussions I post in do not stay active as long as in the past. It used to be I would see active discussions in old posts quite frequently, but now once they seem buried by multiple pages it is becoming less likely that they are being read. Im just saying that the search function seems to be limiting ongoing discussion mostly to issues at the top of each forum; but perhaps my situation is unusual. Although this only started once the new search came about.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 2:02 pm
ed1

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Yes, and thanks ed1. It was helpful, but still many discussions I post in do not stay active as long as in the past. It used to be I would see active discussions in old posts quite frequently, but now once they seem buried by multiple pages it is becoming less likely that they are being read. Im just saying that the search function seems to be limiting ongoing discussion mostly to issues at the top of each forum; but perhaps my situation is unusual. Although this only started once the new search came about.
I agree that without the search indexing for several days, the My Threads, My Posts, and searching for topics to avoid posting an unnecessary new thread instead of finding and existing one have become a major issue, especially for the more experienced users. Continuing discourse also suffers when the threads drop off from the first couple pages of a forum index.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 2:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Search for fikry shows nothing in AAdvantage Forum

After reading a newspaper article on Mohammed Fikry, who was taken off an American Airlines flight last year, I searched for "Fikry" (without quotes) on the AAdvantage page, and also under "Advanced Search" Search Titles. Neither found any postings with "Fikry" in it ("Nothing found to match your search request").

Lo and behold, at the bottom of the first AAdvantage page, there was a 3-hour-old thread with "Fikry". What gives?!
Old Mar 3, 2008, 2:10 pm
ed1

Originally Posted by DivMiler
After reading a newspaper article on Mohammed Fikry, who was taken off an American Airlines flight last year, I searched for "Fikry" (without quotes) on the AAdvantage page, and also under "Advanced Search" Search Titles. Neither found any postings with "Fikry" in it ("Nothing found to match your search request").

Lo and behold, at the bottom of the first AAdvantage page, there was a 3-hour-old thread with "Fikry". What gives?!
Indexing of posts (necessary for the search to find posts) hasn't been working since Tuesday, so all posts since it stopped can't be found by searching.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 2:37 pm

I'd like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread for providing feedback and for championing improvements. The frustration is certainly understandable and you can be sure no one on this end takes any offense. In fact, I'm sure we all agree we're lucky to have a membership as passionate as you are. There are A LOT of online communities who don't see as many posts in a month on their entire forum as we see in a week in just one thread ... and to think, all we have to do to drive traffic is screw things up

I'm afraid I don't have any updates for you other than to tell you we've weeded through this thread and have compiled a list outlining every issue that has been raised.

Top of the list, of course, will be solving the index problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.