Wiki Posts
Search

Search problems

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
After several days of fruitless and highly aggravating searching I finally had time to take a brief look at this thread. I really hope someone can bring us back a working search facility!
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the only problem i have is sorting or viewing by thread after page 1 of results.

although there have also been a couple times where the search didnt work for some reason.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 5:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
My latest search returned many matches, however some pages had less than 25 results per page (less than 10 in some cases).
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:19 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Request: Is it possible to have the "Forum Jump" link at the bottom of the Search page?
Old Feb 18, 2008, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ed1
It has "Thread / Thread Starter" and "Last Post" (time/date and poster) and unread are bold just like the forum index.
Yes, but then I have to remember who the last poster was and what time they posted...

I didnt know about the bold part though...Im not sure I understand what youre saying. If it has a post that I havent read yet it is bold instead of having the small piece of paper on it?
Old Feb 18, 2008, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
hi, wanted to note another issue. using 'search this thread' is currently useless, as it returns the ENTIRE thread as an answer, rather than individual posts.

kind of defeats the purpose of searching the thread, although the red highlights are nice.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:59 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by karenkay
hi, wanted to note another issue. using 'search this thread' is currently useless, as it returns the ENTIRE thread as an answer, rather than individual posts.

kind of defeats the purpose of searching the thread, although the red highlights are nice.
i want to echo what kk said
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
That's been mentioned before - use this as work around:

Click on Search This Thread, and choose Advanced Search. Enter your keyword(s) and then Show Results as "posts".
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:33 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by karenkay

Originally Posted by goalie
i want to echo what kk said

This is a known problem and it is on the list to be fixed (see one of my posts to KevinSours).

I know it's fairly far back in this thread, but it was answered back on 10Feb08:

Originally Posted by cheepneezy
JPDX - Click on Search This Thread, and choose Advanced Search. Enter Seoul as the keyword and then Show Results as "posts".
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:39 pm
ed1

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Yes, but then I have to remember who the last poster was and what time they posted...

I didnt know about the bold part though...Im not sure I understand what youre saying. If it has a post that I havent read yet it is bold instead of having the small piece of paper on it?

The thread will be in bold type and there will be a new mail icon on the left. When you get to the thread there should be a new post icon on all the new posts in the top left corner. Also, there will be a link at the last poster/time/date (like the link next to your name in this post) to take you to the last post.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:44 pm
ed1

Originally Posted by cheepneezy
That's been mentioned before - use this as work around:

Click on Search This Thread, and choose Advanced Search. Enter your keyword(s) and then Show Results as "posts".
I see you beat me to the answer, it's time to restart Firefox (way too many tabs open right now, slowing it down).

I wish we had an ariline voucher for each time we answered that question here in the last week!
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by ed1
I wish we had an ariline voucher for each time we answered that question here in the last week!
Yeah, well I wish we had a decent means of searching for answers on our own. But as a wise man once said, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride".
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Just adding my voice to the chorus: You have eliminated the ability to perform the one search that I use daily (and is most useful): to be able to see all threads that have received additional comments since I posted.

I would therefore have to say the new search is a big step backwards.

Last edited by Boraxo; Feb 19, 2008 at 12:37 am Reason: update
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:41 am
ed1

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Just adding my voice to the chorus: You have eliminated the ability to perform the one search that I use daily (and is most useful): to be able to see all threads that have received additional comments since I posted.

I would therefore have to say the new search is a big step backwards.
For a temporary work-around see my previous posts on using "Subscribed Threads in Folder: All."
Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
thanks to ed1 and cheepneezy for acting as volunteer mods here and providing interim solutions. ^

would be nice if the ib guy, kevin (or someone) would check in again also with an update.

the other thing i've just noticed is when going through a multi-page search result, the pages you've already clicked on are no longer highlighted. that's not an issue with a three page result, but when looking through a multiple page result it's quite frustrating to remember what pages you've already clicked on. additionally, as someone noted upthread, each 'page' of results doesn't seem to have a lot of hits, is there a way to change the default number of hits per page?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.