Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalk RSS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC:E, SPG:PLAT, FPC:Premier, HH:G
Flyertalk RSS

Does anybody know if there's a way to use FT with an RSS newsreader?

If so, any ideas how to get it working?

Tx
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
OK how did you come up with that Handle... I hope it does not mean what i think it means
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC:E, SPG:PLAT, FPC:Premier, HH:G
it's a derivative of my last name. When I was in university I lived in a fraternity house...

and no, it's not because I'm a smelly dude.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
here ya go

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...2&forumids=375
Old May 20, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AA LifeTime Plat, DL Plat, Amex Centurion, Hertz Plaitnum
I am breaking my head trying to figure out how to subscribe to RSS for specific FT forums. However I am only managing to subscribe to everything at once which of course if very confusing as every 3 seconds a new update pops up on my reader from random FT forums which don't interest me.

I want to have my RSS reader to be linked to 3 FT forums:
Aeroplan
BA
Hyatt

Is this at all possible or or is RSS to the whole general site only?
Thanks much!
Old May 20, 2010, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by alexoster
I am breaking my head trying to figure out how to subscribe to RSS for specific FT forums. However I am only managing to subscribe to everything at once which of course if very confusing as every 3 seconds a new update pops up on my reader from random FT forums which don't interest me.

I want to have my RSS reader to be linked to 3 FT forums:
Aeroplan
BA
Hyatt

Is this at all possible or or is RSS to the whole general site only?
Thanks much!
(edit: my browser scrambled the URL, so I deleted this post)

Last edited by cam_macleod; May 20, 2010 at 2:18 pm
Old May 20, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
I don't understand the link in that last post. The earlier link works for me as the Aeroplan RSS feed.

To get the feed for a different forum, just change the forum ID number on the end of that URL. For multiple forums in a single feed, include each forum ID number separated by commas.
Old May 20, 2010, 1:59 pm

Some feeds have "static" URLs, which are just a link to an XML file on a server. Other feeds, like this one, dynamically create the XML required to subscribe. Glad to see your earlier link works fine too.

Just for reference, when I use the RSS Feed button in Firefox, that is the URL that is created for Aeroplan. Either works fine in most RSS readers.
Old May 20, 2010, 2:17 pm

A-ha, figured out the issue. My browser is trying to help, unsuccessfully. Please ignore my previous URL, and I will edit my post.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:11 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

I only see the first post of each thread when I subscribe via Google Reader. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by ftnoob
I only see the first post of each thread when I subscribe via Google Reader. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?
That's what I see. For me that's the best option because otherwise I'd drown in the responses to threads I don't care about. Ones I do, like this one, I can subscribe to inside FT, and then I get email notifications.

FT probably can't handle updating RSS for every post, that would be may orders of magnitude more processing and network bandwidth.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:57 am

Look at the address for a given forum. For example the technical issues forum looks like this:
Code:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-issues-386/
The number at the end is the forum ID.

Now in Google Reader or other reader software enter the following address with the ID at the end. That's the subscription address you need:
Code:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=386
I see more than just the first post of each thread. I'm not sure why others said they see just 1 post. In Google Reader you'll notice a button that reads "1 new item" or something like that. Click it and change it to All Items. Now you'll both read and unread. As the feed comes in over time, that list will grow.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:23 am

rrgg

Thanks for the update and info. Unfortunately flyertalk RSS is not designed for individual threads which is exactly what I am looking for.

any ideas?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:04 pm

The only idea I had is to try one of the service that can generate an RSS feed of sites that don't offer a feed. Maybe that will work for an individual thread. For example feedity.com is one. I haven't tried this myself.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

RSS feeds have been turned on for FT forums.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.