FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   Very slow loading of pages on flyertalk.com and forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1893713-very-slow-loading-pages-flyertalk-com-forums.html)

FlightNurse Mar 7, 2018 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by RumPatrol (Post 29497891)
Funding from our sponsors helps us invest back into FlyerTalk to improve your experience but we've made no actual efforts to improve your experience and have made it worse in many ways but keep feeding us ad money by turning your ad blocker off.

I have less trouble with ads and slow down on shady foreign sports streaming websites than I do on FT.

I think they had to stop deleting those posts once IB reps started re-posting that Wired article about how this ad hijack problem is internet-wide and not just IB/FT, but an entire paragraph of the article says to use an ad blocker because that is the only way to stop it (for now). Kinda tough to keep taking a hard line on ad blockers when the "proof" you're using to show why you can't fix the widespread issue says the only fix for users is an ad blocker.

FT is one of the sites where the content is of great enough importance and quality for me to justify turning my ad blocking software off to throw a little money back, but as it stands now I wouldn't come anywhere near FT without an ad blocker and I simply stopped accessing the site via mobile at all.

As the old says goes, hit them in the wallet. IF everyone used an AB while on FT, I'm sure things would change and issues resolved.

OttawaMark Mar 8, 2018 5:55 am

FT claims other sites have issues too. After turning off my AB I find that out of all of the sites I visit FT is the only one with these issues. So the problem is clearly the ad provider that FT has chosen. The solution seems simple - change ad providers. Once the issue is fixed then I will gladly turn off my AB.

Lost Mar 8, 2018 7:52 am

Originally Posted by OttawaMark (Post 29499591)
FT claims other sites have issues too. After turning off my AB I find that out of all of the sites I visit FT is the only one with these issues. So the problem is clearly the ad provider that FT has chosen. The solution seems simple - change ad providers. Once the issue is fixed then I will gladly turn off my AB.

Same. My adblocker counts the number of ads it has blocked on each webpage I visit. Most websites are around 3 to 5. FT is anywhere between 25 and 40. Per page.

I'd also happily turn off my adblocker to make sure the powers that be get their fair share, but I don't come to FT just to look at ads/overheat my computer/inadvertently download a virus.

OttawaMark Mar 8, 2018 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Lost (Post 29499979)
Same. My adblocker counts the number of ads it has blocked on each webpage I visit. Most websites are around 3 to 5. FT is anywhere between 25 and 40. Per page.

I'd also happily turn off my adblocker to make sure the powers that be get their fair share, but I don't come to FT just to look at ads/overheat my computer/inadvertently download a virus.

I'm currently seeing 18-20 per page on Chrome on Win 10 i5 . With ad blocker off my fans start screaming.

FlightNurse Mar 8, 2018 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Lost (Post 29499979)

I can't believe no one from Admin has commented or given an update.

IBobi Mar 8, 2018 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 29501560)
I can't believe no one from Admin has commented or given an update.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...9&postcount=79

Please take a look up-thread. When there is an update we will be able to post it. Last admin post was... 3 days ago. This issue is not going to be resolved fast, I'm afraid. It's been reported to our techs. Now we wait.

;)

IBobi Mar 8, 2018 2:52 pm

Closing this thread; please refer future updates to the existing ad-problems threads.

For mobile devices:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...see-132-a.html

For Desktop:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...een-shots.html

Thank you

show_me_the_points Apr 9, 2018 12:35 pm

Just me or has this site become incredibly, slow, clunky and cluttered?

Seems like redesign in the last year has made this site infuritiangly difficult to use. Pages take a while to load. Ads come up everywhere and keep reloading. I've been using this site for almost 10 years . I don't recall this slowness till just recently.

lo2e Apr 9, 2018 12:47 pm

You should take a visit to the Technical Support and Feedback forum here on FT. Lots of reports of "issues" with the site.

BamaVol Apr 9, 2018 12:52 pm

I've been disappointed by the performance here for the last 3-6 months, at least. Ads load slow. Nothing moves until the ads load.

rickg523 Apr 9, 2018 12:55 pm

Recently I've found the mobile site significantly easier to use (though less meta-informational) than the website.

show_me_the_points Apr 9, 2018 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol (Post 29620676)
I've been disappointed by the performance here for the last 3-6 months, at least. Ads load slow. Nothing moves until the ads load.

Yup, I have the same problem. The site is almost unusable. I have stopped coming here for credit card deal information... Hopefully they will fix it..

Mwenenzi Apr 9, 2018 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by show_me_the_points (Post 29620700)
Yup, I have the same problem. The site is almost unusable. I have stopped coming here for credit card deal information... Hopefully they will fix it..

From the lack of action by IB looks the site will not be put back to what is was 2 weeks or back to what it was 1 year ago. :td:
The site has had 2 big downgrades in the last ~year.

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Boggie Dog Apr 9, 2018 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 29620838)
From the lack of action by IB looks the site will not be put back to what is was 2 weeks or back to what it was 1 year ago. :td:
The site has had 2 big downgrades in the last ~year.

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

And they won't even discuss why these changes were made. Tone death!

TrojanHorse Apr 9, 2018 2:07 pm

worst that I have EVER seen it as far as performance