FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   Very slow loading of pages on flyertalk.com and forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1893713-very-slow-loading-pages-flyertalk-com-forums.html)

owflyer Feb 15, 2018 11:06 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 29412273)
Ad block extension works.............just google it and install

Working fine now with ad block.

IBobi Feb 15, 2018 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge (Post 29419765)
I find it instructive that the IB tech team quibles over how long the issue is present and directly contradict customers of FT. This is 101 "What not to do in a support service job".

Do you have a technical issue? What is it? When did it start?

gobluetwo Feb 15, 2018 4:42 pm

I have a technical issue that hasn't been addressed. Posted in the "ridiculous CPU/RAM usage" thread, but here it is again. It's been happening for months and my conclusion is that it's due to the ad scripts that are running on FT.

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 29416122)
Thanks for fixing that other ad issues (secure.adnxs.com). However, FT is still a ridiculous resource hog in Chrome due to the ad scripts. This is FT memory usage with ad blocker turned OFF:
https://i.imgur.com/1S0qyh6.png

And this is memory usage with an ad blocker turned on:
https://i.imgur.com/P9Wyx9E.png

The obvious conclusion is that the ad scripts on FT are significantly degrading not only the site user experience, but impacting the overall performance of our machines. This needs to be fixed.

IBobi Feb 15, 2018 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 29421671)
I have a technical issue that hasn't been addressed. Posted in the "ridiculous CPU/RAM usage" thread, but here it is again. It's been happening for months and my conclusion is that it's due to the ad scripts that are running on FT.

This has been reported to my ad ops people. Hopefully at some point it improves. I don't have a workaround for you in the meantime, I'm sorry.

wheresmybagba Feb 15, 2018 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 29421745)
Hopefully at some point it improves.

Hope? Is that it?

Last year when the ads were out of control we were being told of a solution coming in 2018. Has it happened? Didn't it work? Or it hasn't happened yet? Or it's not happening at all?

COSPILOT Feb 15, 2018 6:41 pm

Been experimenting with different browsers, and all crash, very often, but only when FT is open. IE, Firefox, and Chrome. I7 with 16gb ram, 256SSD for OS, and a 4TB for storage. Pretty sure my PC is solid...

IBobi Feb 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 29421992)
Been experimenting with different browsers, and all crash, very often, but only when FT is open. IE, Firefox, and Chrome. I7 with 16gb ram, 256SSD for OS, and a 4TB for storage. Pretty sure my PC is solid...

I'll report this again to tech.

IBobi Feb 15, 2018 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba (Post 29421952)
Hope? Is that it?

Last year when the ads were out of control we were being told of a solution coming in 2018. Has it happened? Didn't it work? Or it hasn't happened yet? Or it's not happening at all?

That was specifically about the mobile ad popups/hijacks... have you seen any lately?

COSPILOT Feb 15, 2018 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 29422002)
I'll report this again to tech.

I didn't take screen shots of memory usage, but they weren't what I would consider high for my pc, maybe 5% max regardless of browser. And that was with multiple tabs open within a browser. Your team is welcome to remote in and see if I'm missing something.

remymartin Feb 16, 2018 11:43 am

Pretty sure we were seeing some crypto currency mining going on from one of the ads. I've now enabled something to block ads for FT as this is the only site that this has ever happened - this was the second time within a few months. Fool me once...

Sopwith Feb 23, 2018 8:19 pm

Of all the sites I frequently visit, this one is absolutely and unconditionally the worst! It is bad, Bad, BAD. Is there any hope at all that it will get better?

zitsky Feb 24, 2018 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 29452154)
Of all the sites I frequently visit, this one is absolutely and unconditionally the worst! It is bad, Bad, BAD. Is there any hope at all that it will get better?

Hard to tell if anyone is listening to these complaints.

FlightNurse Feb 24, 2018 10:19 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 29412781)
It's definitely been an issue since the weekend, so, about 48 hours for me at a minimum.

Agree -- I am also getting occasional weird short bursts of autoplay audio, like something is trying to launch and being stopped, when on a page for longer than 60 seconds or so.

I have this issue, also if I'm on a page too long then the page is slow to respond. Why has these issues been going on this long???

FlightNurse Feb 24, 2018 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 29452154)

Some of the updates I like, I like the taskbar on top that appears without scrolling all the way to the top. BUT this sound bit that starts to play then stop been going on now for weeks...

IBobi Feb 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky (Post 29453144)
Hard to tell if anyone is listening to these complaints.

Easy, if you look for the red admin names replying to posts here, such as the posts 4 above yours :)