FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   Very slow loading of pages on flyertalk.com and forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1893713-very-slow-loading-pages-flyertalk-com-forums.html)

FlightNurse Feb 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 29470391)
Your post was about audio ads. It was moved to the proper thread
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...een-shots.html

I'm also having slowing issues when I'm scrolling through a thread the website becomes unresponsive or slow in responding.

Lost Mar 4, 2018 8:18 pm

I was having this same problem the past few days. Ads constantly loading and reloading caused the website to run so slow that I couldn't scroll or respond to posts.

Thanks IB, you're the reason I just downloaded an adblocker. Website works great now!

(And seriously, don't shame me into disabling my adblocker when your ads are the reason FT becomes unusable :td:)

zitsky Mar 5, 2018 9:56 am

I would like to turn off my AB, but only when these problems are fixed. I used FT for YEARS without an AB. I only started using one because the site itself was unusable.

IBobi Mar 5, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi all,

We have reported the (possibly ad-related) slowness up the command chain.

txpenny Mar 6, 2018 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Lost (Post 29485889)
I was having this same problem the past few days. Ads constantly loading and reloading caused the website to run so slow that I couldn't scroll or respond to posts.

Thanks IB, you're the reason I just downloaded an adblocker. Website works great now!

(And seriously, don't shame me into disabling my adblocker when your ads are the reason FT becomes unusable :td:)

Great tip. Between Disable Infinite Scroll and installing adblocker, the site is working great.

FlightNurse Mar 6, 2018 9:24 am

Originally Posted by txpenny (Post 29492015)
Great tip. Between Disable Infinite Scroll and installing adblocker, the site is working great.

HOw does one Disable Infinite Scroll?

txpenny Mar 6, 2018 9:27 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 29492087)
HOw does one Disable Infinite Scroll?

-> MyFlyerTalk
-> Edit Options
-> Infinite Scroll option is halfway down the page.

FlightNurse Mar 6, 2018 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by txpenny (Post 29492105)
-> MyFlyerTalk
-> Edit Options
-> Infinite Scroll option is halfway down the page.

Thank you what a HUGE difference this makes in viewing FT.....

zitsky Mar 6, 2018 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 29493684)
Thank you what a HUGE difference this makes in viewing FT.....

I did this also. Not sure if it makes a difference. Too soon to tell.

FlightNurse Mar 7, 2018 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky (Post 29494072)
I did this also. Not sure if it makes a difference. Too soon to tell.

it has for me pages load much quicker, no audio burst and no slowing down

but i do get this

Did you know?The FlyerTalk team works very hard to keep the site free for you and provide the best possible content.Can you help us?One easy way you could help us is by disabling your AdBlocker. The funding from our sponsors helps us invest back into FlyerTalk to improve your experience.

FlyerTalk is special to us, and we want to make it special for you too.

Thank you so much,
The FlyerTalk Team

zitsky Mar 7, 2018 2:22 pm

What they don't mention is the value of the content that hundreds of people willingly contribute to this website. It's a two way relationship.

wheresmybagba Mar 7, 2018 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky (Post 29497369)
What they don't mention is the value of the content that hundreds of people willingly contribute to this website. It's a two way relationship.

At least, from what I have seen anyway, they seem to have stopped deleting posts which talk about what for many is the only solution to FlyerTalk's various performance and integrity issues.

FlightNurse Mar 7, 2018 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky (Post 29497369)

It is a two-way street, I don't mind undoing the AB, but Tech Support needs to fix the issue first.

zitsky Mar 7, 2018 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 29497520)
It is a two-way street, I don't mind undoing the AB, but Tech Support needs to fix the issue first.

I'll be next in line to turn off AB if/when they fix these problems. Just recently had a browser hijack page while reading FT. They haven't fixed that problem.

RumPatrol Mar 7, 2018 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 29496976)
it has for me pages load much quicker, no audio burst and no slowing down

but i do get this

Did you know?The FlyerTalk team works very hard to keep the site free for you and provide the best possible content.Can you help us?One easy way you could help us is by disabling your AdBlocker. The funding from our sponsors helps us invest back into FlyerTalk to improve your experience.

FlyerTalk is special to us, and we want to make it special for you too.

Thank you so much,
The FlyerTalk Team

Funding from our sponsors helps us invest back into FlyerTalk to improve your experience but we've made no actual efforts to improve your experience and have made it worse in many ways but keep feeding us ad money by turning your ad blocker off.

I have less trouble with ads and slow down on shady foreign sports streaming websites than I do on FT.

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba (Post 29497396)
At least, from what I have seen anyway, they seem to have stopped deleting posts which talk about what for many is the only solution to FlyerTalk's various performance and integrity issues.

I think they had to stop deleting those posts once IB reps started re-posting that Wired article about how this ad hijack problem is internet-wide and not just IB/FT, but an entire paragraph of the article says to use an ad blocker because that is the only way to stop it (for now). Kinda tough to keep taking a hard line on ad blockers when the "proof" you're using to show why you can't fix the widespread issue says the only fix for users is an ad blocker.

FT is one of the sites where the content is of great enough importance and quality for me to justify turning my ad blocking software off to throw a little money back, but as it stands now I wouldn't come anywhere near FT without an ad blocker and I simply stopped accessing the site via mobile at all.