Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Very slow loading of pages on flyertalk.com and forums

Very slow loading of pages on flyertalk.com and forums

Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Found Firefox with AB works on mobile. I can view FT. Still no luck with mobile Chrome. IB I'm willing to see ads but not if they prevent me from accessing the site.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I had to login via a browser with an ad-blocker built in just to be able to get the site to load completely so I could post a message about this. It's been like this for at least two days now, stuck on loading those two advertising sites.

I get it- ads keep the lights on, so I never use ad-blockers, and just ignore the ads. But now that FT is unusable in its current state, I offer "Congrats" to the FT admins, as your site alone has changed my opinion and today marks the first time I'll be installing an ad-blocker on my browsers.
One easy way you could help us is by disabling your AdBlocker. The funding from our sponsors helps us invest back into FlyerTalk to improve your experience.

FlyerTalk is special to us, and we want to make it special for you too.

Thank you so much,
The FlyerTalk Team
Hrmph. Since there's multiple reports over several days about "adnxs.com" stalling and nobody at FT seems to care, y'all only have yourselves to blame for the dead golden goose.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:04 pm

Same sad issue here, sudden total drop in site quality. Had to install an ad-blocker on Chrome just to get in here and register a complaint.

Happy to turn the blocker off once the error is confirmed fixed, as ads are a way of internet life, but this is really too much. The longer it goes, the more I'm convinced that they are working on a solution to ensure all this back-end ad delivery is corrected and not an immediate stand-down of the service in question to keep the site running and usable.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zitsky
Is anyone seeing very slow loading of pages on flyertalk? Pretty much any page takes so long that my browser wants to close the tab. I'm seeing this on Chrome and IE. I see a lot of messages in the status bar about "waiting for secure.adnxs.com" which I think is some kind of tracker. I can't see the other sites because they go by too quickly.
It's Secure adnsx. Reset your browser.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Five times the thread restarted with 'flyertalk.com is not responding due to long running script' before I could post this
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm still having the problem when using Chrome but Edge seems to be working ok. Chrome freezes when trying to go anywhere on FT. Can't even see the ads.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:18 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
We had the adnxs problem a year or so ago. It was slow-loading ads back then, and took ages to fix, and apparently it's the same issue now. I have an ad-blocker built in to my antivirus (and can't disable it, despite the requests from the FT team that display instead), so I am not having any problems myself, even with Chrome.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Yes, it is "waiting for secure.adnxs.com" on Chrome and FF...
Same here. The site crashed or locked up Chrome / Mac OS and locked up Safari pretty badly. This has been happening for 48 hours. I'm surprised I can get in here to post this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by BearX220
This has been happening for 48 hours. I'm surprised I can get in here to post this.
I'm surprised this has been allowed to go on for 48 hours.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:48 pm

Ad block extension works.............just google it and install
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:52 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by BearX220
Same here. The site crashed or locked up Chrome / Mac OS and locked up Safari pretty badly. This has been happening for 48 hours. I'm surprised I can get in here to post this.
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I'm surprised this has been allowed to go on for 48 hours.
From what I can tell, it's been more like 18 hours. We are working on it!
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:04 pm

Same for me.

Pulled out an old phone running an old version of Chrome and it's working fine.

TIA for the fix--if nothing else this reminded me how much time I spend on FT.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:52 pm

Unable to access for the last day and a half -- site would lockup any browser on my desktop and laptop (both Mac). Finally working now.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Working for me so I will go back to ads. But IB, I really think you need to do a better job of screening ads in the first place!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by IBobi
From what I can tell, it's been more like 18 hours. We are working on it!
As a user I would agree more with the 48+ hour assessment as I started noticing this over the weekend and all through yesterday (I was at jury duty, so tried multiple times to do some FT browsing).

It's not uncommon for me to be on a slow connection or there to be one rogue script or something that makes FT not load, but then an hour or two later I can access it just fine. So I don't look for/comment on the "bug" threads until/unless the issue has been around for at least a day or so in different access situations - at which point I start to think it's a FT issue and not my personal issue. And of course it's currently taking forever just to be able to post comments. I'm certain other folks find themselves in a similar pattern so the first reports of issues can be delayed from when they actually started happening.

Not trying to argue - just offering my personal explanation in case a better understanding of timeline is helpful. Thank you for your efforts to get things fixed!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.