Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:37 am

Firefox--script (from adsafeprotected.com) makes FT unresponsive

For the last week or so, FT has been unbearably slow when viewed in Firefox (I'm running version 44.0.2). After a while, I will get a message about an unresponsive script from "adsafeprotected.com". Today, it caused two complete shutdowns of Firefox.

No problems when viewing FT in Chrome.

Anyone else with problems/any fix on the way?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by serpens
I didn't notice videos on the HHonors forum page, but downloading the full content of videos (without my requesting them) would be consistent with the boatload of bytes that maxed out my (limited) bandwidth for close to a minute.
I have no problem with, and to some degree actually LIKE and even click on google ads. However, the video ads are an unwelcome drain on resources and they are the sole reason that I have taken "extraordinary measures" on my home computer to prevent them from appearing. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to do the same on my work computer.

I know you mods don't like it when I say that but I'm sorry, I'm not going to let me computer slow to a crawl so that Clorox can play a 1:00 minute pitch for their wipes or some dumb crap like that.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by serpens
I would quibble with "Other fora seem fine!"
Yeah I definitely jinxed myself there. Lots of load/crash/hang issues throughout the past couple days across the site.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:43 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
For the last week or so, FT has been unbearably slow when viewed in Firefox (I'm running version 44.0.2). After a while, I will get a message about an unresponsive script from "adsafeprotected.com". Today, it caused two complete shutdowns of Firefox.

Yep me too. I think there is an issue with the Marriott ad. Trying to fix it.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:48 pm

I think it's the Marriott ad and we are trying to get it foxed.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr

This is the third time in the last 6 months adsafeprotected.com has caused Firefox to become unresponsive and crash. Why do you continue to allow such disruptive scripts on Flyertalk?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: Independent
Getting unresponsive script errors.
Script: https://fw.adsafeprotected.com...for...reatment=?:235
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
FT's bloated ads are constantly causing non-responsive script errors in Firefox (ESR version 44.0.2) resulting in slow loading and eventually a complete crash of Firefox. This has gotten much worse in the last 3 weeks! I am in the US using a Mac with OS 10.11.2, 16 gigs of ram. I primarily visit Marriott Rewards in the Miles & Points forum and the problem occurs most often when trying to read posts (MR main page loads slowly, but does not get hung up.) The ads trying to load are Marriott Rewards Chase Visa, Marriott Hawaii, and South Africa.

I also similar issues using Safari, FT will just hang and then I will receive a failure to connect message.

I have been on FT for 13 years and only recently have I had this problem. I browse FT daily and this is very frustrating. Please fix or remove the bloated ads!
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by OU812
FT's bloated ads are constantly causing non-responsive script errors in Firefox (ESR version 44.0.2) resulting in slow loading and eventually a complete crash of Firefox. This has gotten much worse in the last 3 weeks! I am in the US using a Mac with OS 10.11.2, 16 gigs of ram. I primarily visit Marriott Rewards in the Miles & Points forum and the problem occurs most often when trying to read posts (MR main page loads slowly, but does not get hung up.) The ads trying to load are Marriott Rewards Chase Visa, Marriott Hawaii, and South Africa.

I also similar issues using Safari, FT will just hang and then I will receive a failure to connect message.

I have been on FT for 13 years and only recently have I had this problem. I browse FT daily and this is very frustrating. Please fix or remove the bloated ads!
IB Tech is aware and working on identifying the cause and a solution.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:57 am

It was very calm for months but now there are again really annoying adds popping up using forwarding/redirect scripts on my iPhone:

No way to bail out, have to kill the safari and before the page loads again load some other page.

iphone 6, iOS 9.2.1, Safari on Vodafone Germany
Old May 10, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IBobi
No, but if you can take a screen shot of your page when it happens again I will look into getting the bad one blocked
Ah well, was worth a shot! TBH it was mainly just black most of the time, spent ages loading (this is on fast fibre broadband!). Have opted for a Flash blocker instead, this seems to force animated GIF ads instead which are much more tolerable.
Old May 10, 2016, 5:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

A Kia Sportage ad started talking, but it appears my computer was unable to show the video.
Attached Images  
Old May 10, 2016, 6:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

This one was so loud that I closed the tab as soon I grabbed the image, without hearing what was being advertised. I hope it's enough for you to identify the offender.
Attached Images  
Old May 10, 2016, 6:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

And Toyota is advertising in this thread.

Is there any chance that an offending advertiser can be penalized beyond just removing the ad?
Attached Images  
Old May 10, 2016, 7:33 pm

Usually removing the ad is sufficient, thank you for the posts!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.