Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ediemac1
something about winning an iPad or laptop. Don't know how to take a screenshot on iPad, sorry.
Press home and power button simultaneously and momentarily.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: Status Free
Thank you!!! That's definitely my new thing learned for the day. And a very useful one.
Originally Posted by JDiver
Press home and power button simultaneously and momentarily.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:38 am

If this site actually allowed image uploads I'd post a screen shot. I'm getting a "congrats att uverse customer your iPhone has been randomly selected for a 1k gift card" site in bar is qualityaffair.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

It's not a disruptive ad, or at least not obviously...

I am using Firefox 50.0 on a MacBook running MacOS 10.11.6. Activity Monitor reports CPU activity in the 90 to 145% range for Firefox when I have a tab or tabs with MyFlyerTalk or any FlyerTalk forum page open. If I close all tabs with MyFlyerTalk or any forum, CPU activity drops to 50-75%. If I close all FlyerTalk tabs, the Firefox CPU activity drops to less than 5%. This is consistent, and it is only with FlyerTalk. Also, the excessive CPU activity continues even if I turn Wi-Fi off; I need to close the FlyerTalk tabs. Any ideas?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:16 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Ads with heavy Flash and scripts are the reason for this. If you disable Flash and javascript you should notice a difference.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks, fransknorge.

When I go to Tools -> Add-ons and select Plug-ins, there is no Flash and no javascript. Same thing when I select Extensions. (Firefox Help says to disable javascript at Plug-ins. Firefox Help tells me how to add Flash, which I do not believe I have ever done. Certainly there is nothing in Plug-ins or Extensions.) Am I looking in the wrong place? Might it be something else?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by thelark
If this site actually allowed image uploads I'd post a screen shot. I'm getting a "congrats att uverse customer your iPhone has been randomly selected for a 1k gift card" site in bar is qualityaffair.
It does now. Click Manage Attachments beneath your post. (Not sure if you have to switch over to the desktop version or if the mobile version will let you do this.)
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:26 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by serpens
Thanks, fransknorge.

When I go to Tools -> Add-ons and select Plug-ins, there is no Flash and no javascript. Same thing when I select Extensions. (Firefox Help says to disable javascript at Plug-ins. Firefox Help tells me how to add Flash, which I do not believe I have ever done. Certainly there is nothing in Plug-ins or Extensions.) Am I looking in the wrong place? Might it be something else?
http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-JavaScript

For Flash: Click the cog icon at the top-right of the browser and then choose Manage add-ons. Then find and select Shockwave Flash Object in the list and click the Disable button.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks again, fransknorge.

That description of how to turn off javascript was clear and simple. Unfortunately, turning off javascript breaks the Forum Tools dropdown menu, which I believe I need for the Mark This Forum Read command. It seems that FlyerTalk, like life, has trade-offs.

I'll stand by my assertion that I do not have Flash, since it does not appear in the list of Add-ons. There is no cog icon at the top-right of the browser, perhaps because I'm on a Macintosh. There is an icon with three horizontal bars. Clicking it generates a pane with a cog, but that opens Preferences. There is also a jigsaw puzzle piece icon that opens the Add-on Manager, and that is where I find no trace of Flash.

I appreciate the hints.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Same kind of ad, new URL

iPhone 6s Plus
Safari
iOS 10.1.1
United States
Attached Images  
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:30 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by serpens
Thanks again, fransknorge.

I'll stand by my assertion that I do not have Flash, since it does not appear in the list of Add-ons. There is no cog icon at the top-right of the browser, perhaps because I'm on a Macintosh. There is an icon with three horizontal bars. Clicking it generates a pane with a cog, but that opens Preferences. There is also a jigsaw puzzle piece icon that opens the Add-on Manager, and that is where I find no trace of Flash.

I appreciate the hints.
If you do not have flash, then likely the CPU usage is nearly only Javascript or other scripts. Best for you is then to desactivate those still. You can double click on a forum icon to mark it as read
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks, fransknorge. I had not known about double-clicking the forum icon to mark the forum as read.

Javascript is off and Firefox is much more responsive. The objective measure of "much more responsive" is that the spinning circle on the left of a new tab is quickly replaced by the small FlyerTalk icon. (When the new tab contains a thread, the first unread post is displayed at the top of the window pane after the FlyerTalk icon appears, which means if scroll to read, the displayed text jumps back when the tab has finished loading. This disrupts my reading, which led to this discussion.) I hope that was clear.

However, Activity Monitor still says Firefox is using 90-120% of the CPU cycles if MyFlyerTalk or any FlyerTalk forum tab is open. (It drops to about 80% if only thread tabs are open.) I'm curious about what is going on, but much less concerned now that Firefox seems more responsive.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes
Same kind of ad, new URL

iPhone 6s Plus
Safari
iOS 10.1.1
United States
Been getting this same ad on a regular basis on my phone. The screen shot from javabytes didn't carry in my quote but it's a 100% duplicate - don't want to clutter up the thread with another screen shot of the same ad.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Google Chrome
United States alternating primarily between Verizon Wireless (when non-WiFi) and TWC (home WiFi)

Last edited by Duke787; Nov 27, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Old Nov 27, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Duke787
Been getting this same ad on a regular basis on my phone. The screen shot from javabytes didn't carry in my quote but it's a 100% duplicate - don't want to clutter up the thread with another screen shot of the same ad).

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Google Chrome
United States alternating primarily between Verizon Wireless (when non-WiFi) and TWC (home WiFi)
Glad I'm not alone in getting served this horrible redirect ad. Happens at least once every five clicks on FT mobile. Recent spam URLs have included promosshops(dot)com and workcoon(dot)com.

All on iOS 10.0.1.1, Verizon Wireless and various other US ISPs when on Wi-Fi.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:40 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
More shenanigans (on iPad's Safari while in the U.K.):

Code:
https://adclick.g.doubleclick.net/pcs/click?xai=AKAOjsslHu2_huDfEQmIS4q7fESR-XH4DJa2_sJYGxRdsH6AiP43gUZyujtSsCHjTNjE7Np_iV3bM_9J6Whg0p0rXf8cn4DAambAYGPZA9uOVEyufWhmZFaw1y8NwN7gbA&sig=Cg0ArKJSzFWwInmRZ1vq&urlfix=1&adurl=http://a.rfihub.com/acs/b/c3Q9aHRtbCZhYT0yNjc2NTcxLDU2MDc0ODgxLDExNzc0NDcsNTQ4MzYyNzcsOTE5NTMsNzk3ODIzLDRmZjBmYjk4OTMxYWU0OTc1NWFkNDYzZDFkMjhiN2FkLHAsMjc3MDQsMzM3NTQ3LDI0ODYxMTg5LDI0MTE3NSw1OTIwNzkmbXQ9MSZyYj0zNDUmcmU9MjA3ODUmaGNpPSZ1dWlkPTEwNDEyNDYzMTc3MzkwNTI5MTEmZGk9JmRjPTEmZGlzcmM9MCZkaWQ9dGlkXzc5NzgyM3xtZWRfcmVndWxhciZpc0ZwPTE./n/https://www.transforminglives.co.uk/surgical/breast-procedures/breast-enlargement%3Futm_source%3Drocketfuel%26utm_medium%3Ddisplay%26utm_content%3Dbreast%26utm_campaign%3Dprospecting

Code:
https://adclick.g.doubleclick.net/pcs/click?xai=AKAOjsuCUAQEwCyrT3qDSfRadXn1eZenpyjSjTr9GkVdasGDWNddxYZB07IkF_d1_sls89y7iI8jWSR6ARaJ-J7zYRlSRUUWxsB5KG4ODdEUpQ77Pzhx43jL_Wv3FbFj1VARlDSYsKPTpNY-qWbTvnmmKYJJdDZP6P9_re39jOi4ZYm9jDpvoZJb9eYALnvjT3jnvb2jtDxrdWSl9U2zxRSFRCZcUiDDK2FnesWzRuryRVugzGm9mwdBpkJngpEahsF9kt_N-7hQBQxBDMT-C7sVYsTFT5an3tqRbVjm7TcXmMKfz-vDufzHHI4lomXjM9xbm3MHnmxIeKb7U36koFASgl7xyVa-8ouAEVyKLaDJZRXpiOIxepDd_7ILi_jg4cbwo1DYwMl4ZoIcgko3-1yEGaC2efG0OJcjP5ha9sol-AI6DIU0y161mzp4GeWThNtAHmeTnB6DpQosLRhbLwi3bF5amPqt2Jdn2vkRWYKMxIIGFJ--q1jS0c6rBclUR9GJ67ZAgq-X_P8ip0mUMjh6BhM0I0sIWXdjNG0K_VZ_f768rXPpl9-fFLsyLktnshDFuXTzlQXEOPNGrqRjE9CrhPXIVogPBaOZkLx_s-VL5ETwl6PFzl92o4UkWS1H5m2YVgNwmQFQGAZi5fhzmAzewrCSLJTKz1KUHxMkRUpJWvhAbHrVT4lHo0MR1nPqyeK0vp61cXvqLV1YxHGAbp_wstjLOIjF-o9ngfblDq1cMJrXxEgCS5Ep3lDJpuXskB1dWQXmKbSP3lXqu_P6WZ6lXsTZ9tkpObMjQOmfdHnsyJQespJ1BIXJDJ5kiFvRuv6fiavIk4ZL0bCwZVtmekSi&sai=AMfl-YSTr9si5LTi8-XHlrfl1_XB_6URAi9j5F6Si-OT3dR3Xlnj_BL4C0CwCpfBnvvdMPZF6u9SBzHr6WVtz9PFg6a0Evc&sig=Cg0ArKJSzOGQA4Lwoytv&urlfix=1&adurl=http://online.ladbrokes.com/promoRedirect%3Fkey%3Dej0xMzU1NDcwOSZsPTAmcD02OTA2NTU%253D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.