Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Moderator must approve post / approval queue / my post doesn't show / is missing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Moderator must approve post / approval queue / my post doesn't show / is missing

Issue: Posts by new members not appearing until they are approved by a Moderator, or "disappears".

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As you can well imagine, Flyertalk gets a LOT of spam - our spam protocols put any post by a new member containing an image or a web link into a moderation queue for approval. (This may sound imprecise to the reader, but we prefer not to state how many posts must be made before posts that meet the parameters for approval are not intercepted and sent to a moderation queue).

In fora with moderators, the moderation notification goes to the forum moderators; in fora without assigned moderators, the notification goes to all (four) senior moderators. As moderators are all volunteers, most of who also work and travel, it can take a bit of time - though our intent is to intervene as quickly as possible, in a forum with, say, one moderator, it can take time.

Posts from new members likely to end up in a moderation queue:

. . . • Posts containing a URL / web link
. . . • Posts containing a graphic image or IMG link
. . . • Posts containing certain key words
. . . • Posts quoting a post containing a web or image link
. . . • Posts quoting other posts with links
. . . • An approved post with link that gets edited

Ask a question, make a comment or make a reply without an included web link or image, your post will normally appear immediately. Once you have a few posts on FlyerTalk, you can include a web link or image without the post going to the moderation queue (of course, it's still subject to FT standards and being moderated).

We do apologize for this inconvenience, but we've found this helps identify and suppress hundreds of spam messages every month you never are subjected to because of the filters.

And if you come across a spam, misplaced or inappropriate post, we appreciate your notifying the Moderators by using the "Alert a moderator to this post" function, by clicking on the button that appears at the left of every post.

Issue: My post has gone missing!

Posts may "go missing" for various reasons:

. . . • A post that was approved and cleared out of the moderation queue was edited - which will return it to the queue and "make it disappear"
. . . • Posts violating the Rules
. . . • Posts quoting or replying to post violating the Rules
. . . • Posts were moved to a more appropriate thread or forum (moved threads will leave a trailing link in the old forum)

You may contact the Moderators by using the Private Message system or by using the "Alert a moderator to this post" function, by clicking on the image (red edged white triangle with exclamation point at the centre) that appears at the left of every post.

Moderator note instructions: Moderators can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hi,

Sorry for the trouble. Certain new posts are sent to moderation queues for approval. If those are edited, they go back to the queue.

Please read the wiki post and information in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...w-missing.html, then reply and we can see what the next step is.

JDiver, Moderator
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:55 pm

Thanks JDiver for directing me toward this thread. It may be that my most recent post contains a link that was provided by another poster. Perhaps if I can remove that link my post can be expedited?

I believe I also pasted the usernames of posters into the quotes (unfortunately forgot the multiquote function) which turned into URLs...

If there is anything I can do to help push this forward a bit more quickly, feel free to let me know! Thank you.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:03 pm

Hi JDiver,

I read and replied to the thread that you had posted... My post that I'm waiting on has been in queue for over 5 hours now... is there an issue that needs to be resolved? Forgive me, it is a little bit frustrating considering it is regarding a bit of a time-sensitive issue.

The post should be #24 in this thread but I have made a shorter, subsequent post following it.

Thank you!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by vvaldellon
Thanks JDiver for directing me toward this thread. It may be that my most recent post contains a link that was provided by another poster. Perhaps if I can remove that link my post can be expedited?

I believe I also pasted the usernames of posters into the quotes (unfortunately forgot the multiquote function) which turned into URLs...

If there is anything I can do to help push this forward a bit more quickly, feel free to let me know! Thank you.
Originally Posted by vvaldellon
Hi JDiver,

I read and replied to the thread that you had posted... My post that I'm waiting on has been in queue for over 5 hours now... is there an issue that needs to be resolved? Forgive me, it is a little bit frustrating considering it is regarding a bit of a time-sensitive issue.

The post should be #24 in this thread but I have made a shorter, subsequent post following it.

Thank you!
I see the Aer Lingus | AerClub forum has one Moderator, starflyergold, who is based in Brussels - so perhaps there's a time zone issue. (Not to mention, Moderators are volunteers, most with jobs, family life and travel plans.) Sometimes there is a time lag for any of those things, but it allows FlyerTalk to be a genuine online community.

There are several ways to communicate with starflyergold:

Use Private Messaging from MyFlyerTalk or

use the Moderator contact radio button / widget at the sude of each post. In yours below, it's the . This will bring a pop up message box that will send your report to all the forum's assigned Moderators (or in this case, the assigned Mod, or all the Senior Moderators if there's no assigned forum Moderators).

I see you edited your first post in that thread - that might have put it back in the queue. I also see starflyergold deleted an empty post (would have been post #4 ). What would be #25 , at 00:53 in BRU may not get looked at until daytime Brussels time.

It's frustrating - I apologize for the frustrations - but we've found these hoops and hurdles for newly signed up members has reduced quite a bit of our spam (and we get a lot of it - you generally don't see it because we're pretty responsive and have tools in place). You're close to the point your posts won't be autohandled when they contain URL links or links to graphics and other files as "new member" posts; that's good news.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 24, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wonder if there would be an easy way to show the list >

during new member registration process or as part of confirmation email above link
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
wonder if there would be an easy way to show the list >

during new member registration process or as part of confirmation email above link
That is listed in the Wikipost for this thread. Are you recommending it be added elsewhere?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:05 am

New to this forum.
Is there a way to find out what happened to my post: pending review or rejected?

I posted, it said it would need to be reviewed.
Now, there is no record as far as I can see that I submitted anything. It seems I have no way of knowing if it's rejected or still in approval process. Or is there?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
That is listed in the Wikipost for this thread. Are you recommending it be added elsewhere?
i said >
"during new member registration process or as part of confirmation email"

like here >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/register.php
is Rules link there working?
is this topic in Rules?

is there a way to tell new members

after confirmation email, is there a 'welcome' etc email?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rostropowich Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by Rostropowich
New to this forum.
Is there a way to find out what happened to my post: pending review or rejected?

I posted, it said it would need to be reviewed.
Now, there is no record as far as I can see that I submitted anything. It seems I have no way of knowing if it's rejected or still in approval process. Or is there?
Moderator are volunteers and will get to your post. They also may be in a different time zone and/or working, travelling & family life etc
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: VA HH
Awaiting moderator approval

I posted a reply to my topic in the NYC forum (can't link to it as I don't have 5 posts) a few days ago and it came up with a message saying my post was awaiting approval from a moderator. It still hasn't appeared in the topic yet. Is this normal?

Thanks
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:55 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk. All of our moderators are volunteers, and it's possible that the NYC forum moderators have been caught up in life or that your post was overlooked in the moderation queue.

I see that you've posted twice in this thread. Presuming it's another post that hasn't appeared, you can send a direct message to the forum moderator dstan to inquire about it.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: VA HH
Thanks for the reply! Wasn't sure if I messed something up or if it was normal so just wanted to double check. There's a third post in that topic that I submitted but there's no rush so happy to wait for it to be approved normally.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by LiamAU
I posted a reply to my topic in the NYC forum (can't link to it as I don't have 5 posts) a few days ago and it came up with a message saying my post was awaiting approval from a moderator. It still hasn't appeared in the topic yet. Is this normal?

Thanks
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Our apologies for any inconvenience our spam reduction protocols may have caused you.

I will notify have notified the Senior Moderators, whose purview includes all fora without appointed Moderators, or when there may be a Moderator absence. (I know dstan and he is traveling and may have limited internet access.)

See more in the thread Moderator must approve post / approval queue / my post doesn't show / is missing, in the Technical Support and Feedback forum, particularly the Wikipost at the top of the page.

JDiver, Moderator (American Airlines | AAdvantage, FlyerTalk Cares, México, Technical Support & Feedback and The Suggestion Box fora)

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 30, 2018 at 8:52 am
Old May 3, 2018, 3:30 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Moving to our Tech Support forum.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:24 am

I also made 2 posts today, one in the ANA forum and one in the Alaska forum and both said they were pending even tho they did not have any image or a link and its been over 12 hours and still not approved. I'd appreciate if someone could look into it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.