Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Moderator must approve post / approval queue / my post doesn't show / is missing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Moderator must approve post / approval queue / my post doesn't show / is missing

Issue: Posts by new members not appearing until they are approved by a Moderator, or "disappears".

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As you can well imagine, Flyertalk gets a LOT of spam - our spam protocols put any post by a new member containing an image or a web link into a moderation queue for approval. (This may sound imprecise to the reader, but we prefer not to state how many posts must be made before posts that meet the parameters for approval are not intercepted and sent to a moderation queue).

In fora with moderators, the moderation notification goes to the forum moderators; in fora without assigned moderators, the notification goes to all (four) senior moderators. As moderators are all volunteers, most of who also work and travel, it can take a bit of time - though our intent is to intervene as quickly as possible, in a forum with, say, one moderator, it can take time.

Posts from new members likely to end up in a moderation queue:

. . . • Posts containing a URL / web link
. . . • Posts containing a graphic image or IMG link
. . . • Posts containing certain key words
. . . • Posts quoting a post containing a web or image link
. . . • Posts quoting other posts with links
. . . • An approved post with link that gets edited

Ask a question, make a comment or make a reply without an included web link or image, your post will normally appear immediately. Once you have a few posts on FlyerTalk, you can include a web link or image without the post going to the moderation queue (of course, it's still subject to FT standards and being moderated).

We do apologize for this inconvenience, but we've found this helps identify and suppress hundreds of spam messages every month you never are subjected to because of the filters.

And if you come across a spam, misplaced or inappropriate post, we appreciate your notifying the Moderators by using the "Alert a moderator to this post" function, by clicking on the button that appears at the left of every post.

Issue: My post has gone missing!

Posts may "go missing" for various reasons:

. . . • A post that was approved and cleared out of the moderation queue was edited - which will return it to the queue and "make it disappear"
. . . • Posts violating the Rules
. . . • Posts quoting or replying to post violating the Rules
. . . • Posts were moved to a more appropriate thread or forum (moved threads will leave a trailing link in the old forum)

You may contact the Moderators by using the Private Message system or by using the "Alert a moderator to this post" function, by clicking on the image (red edged white triangle with exclamation point at the centre) that appears at the left of every post.

Moderator note instructions: Moderators can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
... I did see the moderator must approve popup gray oblong window with the post not appearing.
I don't underdstand.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sosafan
I don't underdstand.
I added quote marks. Do you understand now?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I just tried to make an ordinary short post to an existing thread in the DL forum: several sentences, no bad words, no images or links, no smilies or icons. When I hit Post Quick Reply, I got a message in the lower left corner saying something like "Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting....." and indeed the post did not appear when I refreshed the thread.

Is this some new glitch? It's been a long time since I was a newbie around here. BTW, I haven't made any changes to my profile or otherwise changed my behavior on FT. Many hours ago I started a totally appropriate new thread in the DL forum, but I've made other posts since then without any problems.

ADDED: This one obviously posted fine, in fact with no problems on the first attempt.

ADDED AGAIN: I think the post was in the "Delta Airlines 50% MQM Bonus" thread that's received at least a half dozen posts today. Now I see the post there and if there was a moderator in the DL forum, the moderator seems to be gone now. Maybe it's a false alarm, but I did see the "moderator must approve......." popup gray oblong window with the post not appearing.
Yes, it can happen on the rare occasion. I recently approved a post from SanDiego1K that got sent to the moderation queue. Seriously. It does happen, but very rarely. And it can occasionally happen when one responds to a post that has been approved - and they both get sent to the moderation queue.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
I added quote marks. Do you understand now?
yes
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the post was in the "Delta Airlines 50% MQM Bonus" thread.
both your posts in that thread had quotes, and quotes can do trigger it too

i have seen quotes trigger it, not sure of anything beyond that
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
How do you tell if a post is being moderated or simply failed to go through? I attempted to post something as a trip report, and I have no message saying it will be moderated, and my post count is at 1, with this one.

Last edited by lesamuel; Feb 27, 2015 at 10:04 pm Reason: Forgot to add more details
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by lesamuel
How do you tell if a post is being moderated or simply failed to go through?
Have you read the wikipost at the top, above the thread?

Posts from new members likely to end up in a moderation queue:

• Posts containing a URL / web link
• Posts containing a graphic image or IMG link
• Posts containing certain key words
• Posts quoting a post containing a web or image link
• An approved post with link that gets edited
If none of the listed applies to you, you should contact the forum mod via PM or email to see what's the issue. Chances are you have hyperlinks in your posts.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by lesamuel
How do you tell if a post is being moderated or simply failed to go through? I attempted to post something as a trip report, and I have no message saying it will be moderated, and my post count is at 1, with this one.
Several of your new posts contained graphics links, so they were suppressed until they could be vetted by moderators. They have all been released from the moderation queue, which is why your post count is now five.

JDiver, Senior Moderator
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:47 pm

I started a thread just over a day ago and it hasn't appeared. I've read the new user/poster rules and I'm not sure which one I fell foul of?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:50 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by wurblefurtz
I started a thread just over a day ago and it hasn't appeared. I've read the new user/poster rules and I'm not sure which one I fell foul of?
Contact a moderator for the forum you posted in (they're listed at the bottom of the forum main page directory) and ask.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
Contact a moderator for the forum you posted in (they're listed at the bottom of the forum main page directory) and ask.
Cheers, thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by wurblefurtz
Cheers, thanks!
Passing by here, I see your post in the Asia forum has been approved and released from the moderation queue.

The Asia forum has one appointed Moderator, aBroadAbroad. She could be in Asia or in the USAF at any time, so she may be on a different time zone than posters.

We apologise for the inconvenience, but applying the moderated post protocol really prevents considerable spam from being posted and bothering everyone.

JDiver, Senior Moderator
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Could you please unblock my account?

I often surf this forum everyday and rarely to post the reply because my reply and post have to get the approval from the mod first.

Could you please check my account? Does this happen to everyone too?

Such as this topic, I did reply two times but never show up. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-return-3.html
Thank you.

EDITED:
Thank you and I got the answer clearly. Sorry for not searching it before.

Last edited by thanaset; Apr 1, 2015 at 3:30 pm Reason: got an answer.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:38 pm

first post isn't shown

I am a new user, and tried to make my first post in Travel Product. After I submitted, i couldn't see what the page said because the words were too small on my phone, and the page quickly passed away. But my post wasn't shown up. Should i repost it?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did it have a link to an external web site?
Probably in the queue for moderator check
Your count is only showing 1 post (that is your post in this thread)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.