Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

(Voting Completed - Motion Failed) Should VX Have a Forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Voting Completed - Motion Failed) Should VX Have a Forum?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2007, 6:17 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by nsx
I was and am in favor of a VX forum, but I am saddened that the new TB members did not have enough respect for the prior TB to let more time pass before making this motion. This is not what I call getting off on the right foot. Not to put a fine point on it, it's antisocial. Public forums have to deal with a wide variety of antisocial behavior, but the Talk Board should be better.

This motion puts TB members who favor the new forum in the difficult position of choosing between the new forum and respect for the prior Talk Board. IMHO, respect for the prior TalkBoard is more important for FT than is the VX forum. For this reason, had I been elected I would have chosen to support the integrity of TalkBoard decisions by voting against the VX proposal at this time.
Hm. Soooo...should Nancy Pelosi respect the integrity of the decisions made by Tom Delay?

Should the next President of the US be bound to respect the policies and decisions of George W. Bush?

Should Kevin Rudd respect the policies and decisions of John Howard and not revisit any of his decisions for a 'respectful period of time'?

Rubbish.

There is a reason that stare decisis is a judicial term, not a legislative one. Legal precedents change slowly. The will of a legislature or elected leadership can (and very often does) change overnight.

How much time had to pass in order for this re-vote to be 'respectful'?

Frankly I thought it was bad cricket for the previous talkboard to vote on this proposal DURING the previous election, more or less during a lame duck session, leaving the outcome of that vote slightly tainted in my mind in any case.

So rather than being a sign of antisocial behavior or disrespect, this motion is made in good faith and without agenda as a guage of how the CURRENT TB members feel about creating this forum.

It is (should be, imho) all about what the CURRENT TB members feel is in the best interests of Flyertalk.

It is NOT (should not be, imho) about political games, or about scoring political points, or about fip-flopping over silly claims of disrespecting what has gone before or making TOS-questionable assertions about 'antisocial behavior.'

I'd probably rarely use the forum if this motion passes. But I believe this forum is in the best interests of flyertalk. I thought so when it was proposed. I thought so when it was defeated during the election. I think so today. So as an elected member of the newly seated talkboard I made the motion. That's my JOB, as I see it.

Last edited by kokonutz; Dec 29, 2007 at 6:28 pm
Old Dec 29, 2007, 6:37 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
It is NOT (should not be, imho) about political games, or about scoring political points
Exactly, exactly.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Exactly, exactly.
Are you implying that I made this motion to score political points?

That's real head-shaker.

What possible points would I score by making this motion?

All I did is look at the composition of the current talkboard, saw that a 2/3 majority were either on the voting record in favor of this forum or had otherwise expressed support for the forum, knew that I thought the forum was a good idea, so made the motion.

As I say, I gain nothing if this motion passes, I lose nothing if it fails. Either a 2/3 majority of the current TB think it is a good idea or they dont. There are no political point to be scored, which is why I made that observation.

So....what in the heck are you talking about!?!?!?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 6:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Hm. Soooo...should Nancy Pelosi respect the integrity of the decisions made by Tom Delay?
If your model for the appropriate degree of respect, collegiality, and cooperation on the Talk Board is the competition between the two parties in the US House of Representatives...

Sorry, but I can't bring myself to finish that sentence. It would be too depressing.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
If your model for the appropriate degree of respect, collegiality, and cooperation on the Talk Board is the competition between the two parties in the US House of Representatives...

Sorry, but I can't bring myself to finish that sentence. It would be too depressing.
Too depressed to address the substance of my point?

Look, the past is simply prologue.

I may not be the smartest guy here, but as noted above, I can count. And I saw that a majority of the current TB were on record in one way or another in favor of this forum, myself included.

So I should have waited to make the motion because...Dovster's feelings might get hurt because a 'respectful' amount of time has not passed!?!?!? Based on his comments on the subject, somehow I dont think that's going to happen.

And even if it did, that's no reason to keep the flyertalkers who want this forum waiting when it is, in my mind, in the best interests of flyertalk.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 7:09 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Are you implying that I made this motion to score political points?
Is that what you think?

I would think any such conversation would more appropriately be done via PM, so as to not sidetrack the thread and keep personalities out of things. ^
Old Dec 29, 2007, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Is that what you think?

I would think any such conversation would more appropriately be done via PM, so as to not sidetrack the thread and keep personalities out of things. ^
Actually your reply provided me with motivation to further clarify my position, thinking and motives.

So...thank you! ^
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
AZ Travels the World writes:

I strongly urge the Talk Board to approve the creation of a Virgin America forum.

I moderate the Other North & South America Frequent Flyer Programs forum, which has become predominantly focused on VX in recent months.

Virgin America is a very well capitalized start-up that is generating a tremendous amount of buzz in the US. The post and view counts on FT for all things VX are at extraordinary levels, considering how many planes VX actually has in the air, the number of destinations it serves, and the fact it hasn't even yet launched its frequent flyer program. I suspect no other airline or program has generated such attention on FT so early in its life.

It seems inevitable that the buzz will only increase, and traffic on FT will increase along with it, as eleVate is launched and new destinations are added over the next few months.

In my opinion, establishing a dedicated forum now, to house and focus all this attention in one logical place would be a wise and forward thinking decision that I strongly urge the TalkBoard to make.
obscure2k writes:

I agree with this very logical reasoning.
FlyinHawaiian

I've been supportive of the existing philosophy behind controlling the addition of forums. That being said, I do see an established need for this forum and would encourage the TalkBoard to accept this motion.

Thank you.
cblaised

I would add my affirmation to what AZ, obscure2k, and FlyinHawaiian said.
I write:

A good idea is a good idea no matter when, or by whom, it is proposed. Supporting or opposing an idea for any reason other than one's own personal conviction as to its validity, is playing politics, and that fact will be just as apparent to next year's voters as it is to any of us now.

As strongly as I disagree with Spiff's position on this particular proposal, I respect his postion. He has vehemently opposed it right from the start, so, as much as I disagree with him, he at least gets an A++ for consistency.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Comments welcome, voting underway: Should VX Have a Forum?

Moved by kokonutz and seconded by Punki:

that the Talkboard recommends that a new forum for Virgin America eleVAte FFP be created.

This poll will close on Jan 11, 08 at 1:03 pm
With the indulgence of this forum's moderator I would like to make the following announcement:

The member-elected Flyertalk Talkboard is responsible for making recommendations as to what forums should exist on Flyertalk.

The newly-elected TalkBoard is revisiting the decision of the previous TalkBoard as to whether now is the time for Flyertalk to create forum for Virgin America eleVAte.

The TalkBoard values every poster's input so if you have an opinion one way or the other please feel free to post it here: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772638

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
For what it's worth I have already cast my vote in favor of a VX forum. While I would have rather seen a few months between the two motions, a good idea is a good idea, and I feel a VX forum would be a great asset to FT.
That said, I have already voted for this motion for the very compelling reasons Punki enumerates above.
So Spiff asks the membership to provide comments, but barely 24 hours later 2 TB members have already cast their votes, and a third indicates in multiple posts their support for the motion. Worse, after already voting, a TB member asks for feedback in the ONSAFFP forum on the vote.

Do you want feedback and input or simply justification for your predetermined positions?

Not starting out on the right foot IMHO...
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:18 pm

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
Originally Posted by Spiff
The rate of participation in VX-related topics has decreased.
All boards fluctuate, and since VX launched, its been busier than many other boards like Finnair, Midwest, Frontier, etc as I've pointed out countless times.

Plus, Spiff, a few weeks ago you said post volume didn't matter.

either way, whatever biases exist out there, it's not in the best interests of FT to keep eleVAte tucked away, very much could inspire another board to get going somewhere else
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Thank you whindler for your input.

FWIW, while I have strong opinions, I have not yet voted. I have, however, posted my positions and the reasons therefore, specifically in hopes that someone with even better ideas than I have might step forward and disuade me, or persuade me in another direction.

I think your point is excellent. While not restricting us from voicing our initial opinions, we should all remain open to having them changed by new and compelling information, and we should all (IMHO) have the courtesy to hold back on our votes until the community has had an opportunity to speak.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by 707Flyer
Plus, Spiff, a few weeks ago you said post volume didn't matter.
Not quite.

I said I was not going to give a quantifiable post volume as a criterion for my voting for establishing a forum. I feel that setting such a magic number could encourage meaningless post padding and junk thread starting.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I've voted and, for the record, my vote was identical to my previous vote.

As I've said many times before, with very few exceptions, I've yet to meet a Forum that I didn't like or support.

I'm firmly in the "you build it and they will come" camp.

And, hey, if we build it and they don't come, we can zap it in a heartbeat if so desired. And nobody is out a single cent nor does it cost anybody more than a few posts.

We seriously need to get over the premise that we devaluate FT when creating FF forums that are requested by numerous FT'ers.

Rather than erect barriers I think we are better served by welcoming new FT members.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
Originally Posted by nsx
Not to put a fine point on it, it's antisocial.
So is spending Saturday night debating the rules of an Internet message board, we're all being antisocial right now.

Originally Posted by nsx
I am saddened that the new TB members did not have enough respect for the prior TB to let more time pass before making this motion.
So the TB is supposed to serve the desires of its past leaders, but not the needs of FT members?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whlinder
So Spiff asks the membership to provide comments, but barely 24 hours later 2 TB members have already cast their votes, and a third indicates in multiple posts their support for the motion. Worse, after already voting, a TB member asks for feedback in the ONSAFFP forum on the vote.

Do you want feedback and input or simply justification for your predetermined positions?

Not starting out on the right foot IMHO...
In general I agree with your point, but I feel this is a special circumstance. As I mentioned earlier, I would have preferred to wait a few months before bringing this to another vote, but since there was a motion for it, I see no reason not to support it.

The reason I was relatively quick to vote on this motion is because I really feel there wasn't a change in circumstances which would sway my vote, and support from FT members has been near unanimous for it.

One more thing to keep in mind is that just because someone hasn't posted here saying how they voted doesn't mean they haven't already voted, so keep that in mind please...

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I really do appreciate it. I can promise I will not jump to any quick conclusions in future motions and will wait until everyone has had a chance to "speak" before voting, regardless of how strong my opinion is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.