Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

(Voting Completed - Motion Failed) Should VX Have a Forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Voting Completed - Motion Failed) Should VX Have a Forum?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I can't recall an airline launch in my travel days that has created such intense interest so early on. My fear is that the TB's shortsightedness will result in that interest migrating elsewhere, as has occurred with several other airlines. That would be a shame for FT, as it dilutes the value of this site, as the most knowledgeable sources are exchanging their knowledge somewhere else.
Though I haven't been regularly traveling as long as many on this board have, I do recall when Independence Air started up, there was a heck of a lot of buzz created as it was an LCC that competed directly with many routes against United. It brought down quite a few regional fares ex-IAD. VX is competing against some major routes, but not nearly the amount that Indy Air had. Indy's now, of course, out of business.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
And I, for one, am very glad that FlyerTalk had an Independence Air forum and has preserved that information for posterity. That is exactly what "THE" internet frequent air travel board should do.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 6:46 am

The question is whether there would have been the same amount of posts and information exchange in the absence of a forum for FlyI. Would it have taken place in the ONSAFFP forum (and then archived)? Or would there have been fewer posts? I don't know how you definitively answer that, but I know that I certainly posted a decent amount about FlyI and would have done so had discussion of the carrier been confined to ONSAFFP. Because what drove me to post about FlyI was not the presence of a FlyI forum, but interesting things to post about- fares, routes, service, planes, FFP. @:-)
Old Jan 15, 2008, 8:12 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by whlinder
The question is whether there would have been the same amount of posts and information exchange in the absence of a forum for FlyI. Would it have taken place in the ONSAFFP forum (and then archived)? Or would there have been fewer posts? I don't know how you definitively answer that, but I know that I certainly posted a decent amount about FlyI and would have done so had discussion of the carrier been confined to ONSAFFP. Because what drove me to post about FlyI was not the presence of a FlyI forum, but interesting things to post about- fares, routes, service, planes, FFP. @:-)
But there is also the very important matter of organization. Someone wanting to look at the history of FlyI need not wade through hundreds of threads about other North and South America FFPs or use an often-dicey search function to see how Flyertalkers used and felt about FlyI. It's all in one place. The FlyI forum. As, imho, it should be. @:-)
Old Jan 15, 2008, 8:58 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
But there is also the very important matter of organization. Someone wanting to look at the history of FlyI need not wade through hundreds of threads about other North and South America FFPs or use an often-dicey search function to see how Flyertalkers used and felt about FlyI. It's all in one place. The FlyI forum. As, imho, it should be. @:-)
That was precisely the point I made when the VX forum was originally proposed. Having history back to Day One.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Cholula
And I don't think that existing and potential new FT'ers should be made to grovel or come on bended knee to beg for a forum hoping, many times in vain, that a TalkBoard will bestow such a forum.

Who knows how many newbies we chase away everyday who come to FlyerTalk looking for a resource that isn't there when they need it?
BINGO! I've heard from a few FT'ers who will never come back because of they way they were treated by a few specific TB members with the attitude you describe. I think it's the reason a lot of SQ talk happens on a non-FT site, and why some of the India-airline specific talk will be moving (or grow) off-FT.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
A reminder, the subject of this thread is VX.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:18 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Trying to pass that off as 'oh we couldn't possibly have known' is really disingenous - you would have known if you had asked. But you didn't ask
But what if the concept is so alien to you that you don't think of asking? I'm wouldn't blame people under that circumstance. And this does appear to be a situation in which each side has a lot of trouble conceiving how the other side could have such a different viewpoint. Give people the benefit of the doubt and maybe they'll give it back to you some day when you need it.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
I think this thread has run its course.

If anyone has some further comments about a VX board, please bring them up to the Board members via PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.