Search

Suggestion: Proposal For a 9W (Jet Airways (India)) Forum

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Yes, that would apply in cases where I was unsure if a forum would succeed or not - but I don't think that a trial is appropriate for every forum which anyone wants to suggest.
I guess this is what I recognize as an amendment to your earlier statement of principle(s).

I am just interested to know what is the standard that each individual TB members use to determine which forum/subforums they support for "opening", "closing", or "trying".

Originally Posted by Dovster
1. I do not believe in giving "trial runs" to forums. I do believe that when I vote to establish a forum I should be prepared to vote to dismantle it -- be it after one year or 5 years. As I said repeatedly, I think a forum is viable with 100 threads in the first year and 200 a year after that.

2. Before voting to establish any forum I have to believe -- even if incorrectly -- that it will probably succeed. I do not feel that way about a stand-alone 9W forum.
1. So you say you do not believe in giving trial runs to forums even as you have voted to establish a forum that you say you are also prepared to vote to dismantle under certain conditions. Good political answer.

2. Given your responses in this thread, it is obvious that you are not supportive on a stand-alone 9W forum. What is less obvious is what your standard is for supporting the opening, closing or reorganization of forums and subforums.

Originally Posted by Cholula
Since it's public knowledge that TB is now voting on an Airlines of India forum, where Jet Airways could have it's new home, I'm curious why everybody is still debating a standalone Jet Airways forum.

This current Jet Airways forum thread has been around since mid-July and has apparently fallen on deaf TB ears as no motion was ever forthcoming.

The much newer Airlines of India forum thread has garnered enough TB support that a motion was made and seconded and voting is taking place as I write.

I see the Airlines of India forum as a rational first step in the process. If, as many folks claim, Jet Airways becomes the 800# gorilla in a robust Airlines of India forum, I will be the first to support Jet having it's own stand alone forum.

Now, don't get me wrong. If folks just want to debate an issue just for drill, then be my guest. But a Jet Airways forum, for now, is a non-starter as best as I can see.
So what is the standard that will indicate that Jet Airways is the 800 pound gorilla in the room?

I am just interested to get a sense of what kinds of objective standards current TB members are applying in their voting choices.

I'm not debating the issue just for drill, but I am interested in the answers to what standards TB members apply in their decisions when it comes to new or existing forums and subforums.

What it comes down to, largely but far from exclusively, is my potential interest in drafting a question or two for the current round of TB candidates.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am just interested to get a sense of what kinds of objective standards current TB members are applying in their voting choices.

I'm not debating the issue just for drill, but I am interested in the answers to what standards TB members apply in their decisions when it comes to new or existing forums and subforums.

What it comes down to, largely but far from exclusively, is my potential interest in drafting a question or two for the current round of TB candidates.
This may be good subject matter for a new thread within this forum versus in this particular thread where it may get buried (and those folks who aren't interested in the 9W topic won't be reading these posts).

Here are some things that outline most current TB view points...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480446

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621871
Old Nov 8, 2007, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by ewrfox
How is that mindless? Its the other airlines that is keeping that forum alive and not 9W or any of the other Airlines of India.. You remove the other Asian airlines and you’ll end up having a dead forum.. So its not in the best interest of FT to create a new forum where you’ll have a very few posters, since the “Airlines of India” can’t even establish itself currently in its allocated forum..
Interesting....

Again, SQTalk anyone??

Edited to Add:

Seriously, I would now like to know why the FT TB doesn't want to be more organized and structured with regard to setting up separate sub-directories (aka sub-forums) to segregate posts? (One can refer to the LX sub-forum buried in the M&M forum for an example of this)

What other criteria (other than the continued stipulation that 9w has not received enough discussion on FT) are required for the creation of a forum?

Listing it here would be very interesting, so see actual facts on the same.

Thanks!

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Nov 8, 2007 at 9:30 pm
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
What other criteria (other than the continued stipulation that 9w has not received enough discussion on FT) are required for the creation of a forum?
That's a pretty big stipulation, IMHO...

But, for your reference:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427632
Old Nov 9, 2007, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
(One can refer to the LX sub-forum buried in the M&M forum for an example of this)
Just wondering - have you read any of the debate and consultation that went on concerning this issue? Your form of wording would seem to suggest not.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Just wondering - have you read any of the debate and consultation that went on concerning this issue? Your form of wording would seem to suggest not.
Quite correct - let me know where I can find this, so I am "enlightened"...
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:52 pm

I think you'll find the various threads about it by searching. I'd have done it for you, but I don't particularly enjoy being commanded to do things. Sorry

You might try threads started by me in LH and LX forums which will link back into the discussion thread in this forum.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

I think you'll find the various threads about it by searching. I'd have done it for you, but I don't particularly enjoy being commanded to do things. Sorry

You might try threads started by me in LH and LX forums which will link back into the discussion thread in this forum.
Who's commanding??!!!

If this is the attitude of TB members, I feel for everyone!

I did find the link on my own, and the whole affair appears very childish - obviously sentiments are powering issues, much like politics, but still, I feel that if one doesn't wish to read about only Swiss issues, then it makes sense for them to have a separate forum.

Further, I would think that the main issue of creating and running a forum is about who would moderate it - this has *never* been mentioned in the recent ones that I have been active in or viewing.

Anyway, do I really care? Maybe not, based on the prior post!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:22 am

Well if you were requesting me to do it, I assumed you'd have included either a 'please' or a 'thank you'. Courtesy costs nothing after all - even to TB members

Since who moderates a forum is entirely Randy's provenance, and moderation is removed from the remit of TB, despite what some are arguing in the debates, then there is little point in us wasting our time debating something which is entirely out of our ability to control.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Well if you were requesting me to do it, I assumed you'd have included either a 'please' or a 'thank you'. Courtesy costs nothing after all - even to TB members
As someone who is not unpolite, I would like to thank you for the mentioning it, and there is no sarcasm here.

I just haven't been very familiar with this area of FT, so this is why.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I vote for a new forum too!

I have been doing a lot of flying on Jet Airways in India recently. There are a lot of questions and good topics to be discussed on this airline, for sure. It would be great to have a focused place to do so.

Thanks, mods, for the consideration.

Bob
Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blueman2
I have been doing a lot of flying on Jet Airways in India recently. There are a lot of questions and good topics to be discussed on this airline, for sure. It would be great to have a focused place to do so.

Thanks, mods, for the consideration.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Though a specific Jet Airways forum wasn't created, you may find information in the relatively new Airlines of India forum.

Also, just so you know, it's the TalkBoard that works together to create new forums based on member input, not the moderators.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
I'd vote for a new 9W forum too.. I feel There's enough and more discussions in the airlines of India forum on 9W to warrant the need... if you look at the % of posts about 9W in the airlines of India forum, i'd say its quite enough...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Avoid Bumping Very Old Threads - link to this guideline
Unless there is a compelling reason, avoid bumping threads that are more than two years old*. Often the information is out-dated and it clogs the forums, making it difficult to find current threads.
New proposals could possibly be in order, following the post guidelines below. Thank you for your understanding.

Originally Posted by Moderator2
The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

Procedural Statements by the TalkBoard

8. The TalkBoard does not anticipate using automatic sunsetting of forums, preferring instead to create forums only when we they are strongly expected to succeed.

9. At the end of each year, the TalkBoard President will ask the FlyerTalk Host for end-of-year forum activity metrics. Each February, the TalkBoard shall review the least-used forums for possible closure, based on the end-of-year metrics. Members should not expect public notice in advance of proposals to close forums due to the potential for manipulation of the metrics.

Passed June 28, 2010:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...m-changes.html
*Thread unused for two years or longer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.