Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Comments: Don't Count OMNI Posts In Member Post Counts (Motion Failed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments: Don't Count OMNI Posts In Member Post Counts (Motion Failed)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jfe
It's not like we were knighted

Besides, that little title, which I didn't have until 2,000 -3,000 posts ago, along with all those posts ain't going to upgrade you or get you squat

The more I read this, the sillier it gets.

I am just going to eat some cashews and enjoy the show
When you got the title, you became my hero. Prior to that, you were just jfe. Now you are Sir jfe, here to save the day ... urrr, I mean post counts.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The "gaming threads" may or may not have been the straw that broke the back of some camels this time, but they certainly provided a convenient vehicle to ride on the quest to fulfill an older agenda, one that is older than the most recent "countdown" game threads.

That is, the growth in the ranks of FTers who've crossed the 10k+ posts threshold in the past 12-24 months is an older concern for some of those advancing this motion -- even as it's been in the past 12-24 months where there's been a tremendous increase in the numbers of people crossing the 10k+ post threshhold.

I don't think this issue will rip apart the FT community, but this won't be the last part of FT that some advocates of this motion will target for post count elimination. And sooner or later we'll get an "overturn" movement; and then we'll get an "overturn the overturn" movement; and then an "overturn the overturning of the overturn"; and so on.
If this is an accurate assessment it will at some point turn into a complete fiasco. One reason that there are more people over the 10K mark is that there are more people who have been here for a longer period of time. If this is really all about stifling this, given the numbers, it is inevitably going to turn into quite a mess, something along the lines of class warfare designed to keep the newer members from raising in the ranks. As the site has become more successful, senior members will be trying to block the natural outcome of that success. Ack............
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:19 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
I thought I'd weigh in on the debate. I feel strongly that OMNI posts should be added to post counts. For me, OMNI is part of what makes Flyertalk a community, and where I feel I get to know more about the people in the community, even if it involves a debate I don't want to participate in, or something I disagree with.

If there are problems with certain posters or threads, I would also support there being some measures to deal with that, without devaluing the OMNI participation of those who enjoy it and contribute things that are sometimes travel related in a more broad sense. Perhaps in OMNI, post counts could stop after a certain number of posts on one thread, or something that would deal with the perceived problem...
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:21 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
When you got the title, you became my hero. Prior to that, you were just jfe. Now you are Sir jfe, here to save the day ... urrr, I mean post counts.
Either one sounds better than Lord Jesus
Old Apr 12, 2007, 9:00 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Prior to that, you were just jfe. Now you are Sir jfe,
I like to think of him now as "el jefe!"
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnMcG
Lots of good thoughts here, so just one more vote! I think that all posts are valuable contributions to the community. However, some people depend on post count as a metric for someone's experience as a traveller and participant in various loyalty programs. Including OMNI posts in the count could cause some confusion which may not best serve the community of FlyerTalk users.

-- John
Originally Posted by JohnMcG
Just one other thought, and then I'll defer to the preferences of the consensus. I don't even know if it's possible, but perhaps showing two counts? Maybe overkill. Anyway, whatever the consensus feels is best is fine with me!

The above 2 quotes are the direction that should/will be taken......all the rest is well ( fill in the blank) !

Does it really matter what is written under ones handle anyway? I would go as far as removing all "titles" except for the moderators. I mean if Randy doesn't need a title why should we?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:22 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Brian
I really think this says it all, courtesy of the owner of the board.

When board "status," ...the proposal.
Actually, I think this says it all, courtesy of the owner of the board....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=12

Vote on the REAL ISSUE
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
how about abolishing number of post counts all together? who gives a rats a$$ anyways?

Posting should be consequentially helpful to an intel by you held to which you want to share. Information can be useful regardless of post count of a member, therefore not sure why even show the "post count". What IS the purpose of such to begin with?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by underpressure

Actually, I think this says it all, courtesy of the owner of the board....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=12

Vote on the REAL ISSUE
Here's a novel idea.@:-) @:-)

Instead of you and others continually trotting out the same 3 year old, totally out of date selective quote from Randy, as ellegedly "saying it all" (huh?) lets look at his thoughts from 2007 on this very matter. From yesterday in fact:

The blue highlights are mine.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=105

FWIW he was responding to Japhydog who right now has about 9,250 posts. By his own admission on line, virtually all of them are in OMNI ..

Randy did not seem too fazed - or impressed at that kind of howling at the moon, as I certainly am not -

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

--------------------------------

Originally Posted by Japhydog

As long as we OMNI-ites still have a vote, all the TB members can count their days. I think we have a powerful, motivated community. Let them eat cake!

---------------------------------

QUOTE = Randy Petersen April 12, 2007

I'm pretty powerful and motivated as well and like plain pound cake if you are asking. FlyerTalk is not a one-issue community and I personally believe you would be seeking the wrong avenue if this really is your intent.

Here's something to ponder. I made this decision (to not count posts from OMNI) once and if you want to check the archives, you'll see that there was not a lot of push-back. If there was, it was not a personal attack on me.

I frankly am quite proud of the current process and hope you would be as well since at least you have the opportunity to enter into a dialogue in the decision making process. I am here to defend what I think is an ill-advised view of certain members of the TalkBoard.

And ponder this - I have closed OMNI on at least two occasions because of member actions - actions that were detrimental to the enjoyment of the forum by others. I lived through all that and am still here.

And here's a funny for you: Gives me an idea. Rather than impose an RV trip for negative behavior in OMNI, maybe I'll just do the post reduction instead and give some of the members the ability to be embarrassed that way. With gas prices going up, this might be a more powerful and far less expensive alternative. What do you think?

A request, leave off the TalkBoard and the mods on this debate over OMNI post counts. None of them invented the issue - it's there because of the actions by a growing number of members.

Food for thought for some OMNI politicians I'd suggest. @:-) @:-)

Last edited by ozstamps; Apr 13, 2007 at 3:12 am Reason: HTML coding
Old Apr 13, 2007, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO

First I would like to thank wharvey and Randy for their tolerance on this thread. My views have not changed since I expressed them in post #93. I do not plan to constantly repeat them.

However is it OT to ask, what does it now mean to be an Evangelist? When I joined FT 6 years ago, it meant you had posted 150 times. Currently the threshold is 10,000 posts. I remember when OMNI posts did not count to this total. We have many more Evangelists now.

An Evangelist used to signify to me, someone who had made substantial contributions to FT, in the airline, hotel and travel fora. I feel this honorary title has been devalued by those whose contributions consist merely of 10,000 posts to the OMNI game threads, and I think this is unfortunate.
I could be wrong, but in my near 7 years here I think the Evangelist moniker was always 10,000?

Least-ways I do not recall it changing, but it most certainly was never 150 posts.

I can confirm HOM advised TB there are now 45 Evangelists. A year back I'd guess it was under 10. By year end with this avalanche of games posters, it will be well over 100 I'd imagine unless this motion passes.

It was been proven folks can post 10,000 times in around a month in OMNI. On nothing other than games threads. That doesn't earn one mile or point for anyone else on FT, or add one iota to travel airline or hotel knowledge.

That's was FT was founded on, and that's what FT does best on the internet. There are million boards with counting down and word association threads. There is only one Flyertalk.

Many folks like Japhydog mentioned above are on the cusp of 10,000 posts having by his own admission on this thread, almost never posting outside OMNI.

I agree with your POV entirely. ^

Last edited by ozstamps; Apr 13, 2007 at 3:14 am
Old Apr 13, 2007, 3:21 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ozstamps
I could be wrong, but in my near 7 years here I think the Evangelist moniker was always 10,000?
When I joined in 2000, the "Evangelist" title was gained at 250 posts. I'm looking at a printout of a thread I started some months later concerning some research for a vacation to Hawaii, and that's the moniker under my name.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 3:24 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
For some time 250 posts made an Evangelist.

And regarding titles, yes I am not totally immune against prestige (and that includes titles). But here on FlyerTalk it seems getting some special titles (like original member, et al) is pretty arbitrary. I know several FlyerTalkers from the very first days of FT (and still activ now) that joined before some 'original members'.

Last edited by Rudi; Apr 13, 2007 at 3:30 am
Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:46 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by majorwibi
I kind of feel like you do need to look further since I dont think anyone from OMNI feels that these posts are an adequate representation of OMNI. Counting games are not part of OMNI IMHO and really should be moderated out of existence instead of punishing OMNI for its very existence.

==========================================

Oh and here are the top 10 posters from the Delta Lounge thread.

Lehava 1,796
mikey1003 1,684
Cholula 1,579
indufan 1,444
Dovster 1,335
Traveller 1,319
Canarsie 1,154
Abby 957
tkey75 922
Gargoyle 703

If OMNI goes regarding post counting (as a whole) then threads like this should go too (regarding post counting).
I agree ^ ^ ^
Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread and this vote is relating to OMNI (only) and comments about that vote are on-topic.

Perhaps other areas may be visited at some point - in which case a separate thread will be started. This thread is plenty long enough with just on topic posts. IMHO.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:56 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Originally Posted by ozstamps
This thread and this vote is relating to OMNI (only) and comments about that vote are on-topic.

Perhaps other areas may be visited at some point - in which case a separate thread will be started. This thread is plenty long enough with just on topic posts. IMHO.
It IS on-topic to point out that there are COUNTLESS other non-mileage/travel related threads/forums on FT which are not being attacked.

The least you could do is be honest that you are voting against OMNI as an entity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.