Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Comments: Don't Count OMNI Posts In Member Post Counts (Motion Failed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments: Don't Count OMNI Posts In Member Post Counts (Motion Failed)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Sounds good to me. I'm embarrassed by my post count; I'd love to see it drop by 703 ... well, 702 after this post

The current proposal on the table is specific and not about cherry picking threads and forums. The Talkboard is, an needs to, vote only on that proposal. If it is defeated, I think it will be appropriate for TB to come up with a new proposal based on some of the discussions of moving Games to an uncounted subforum, and perhaps including a few other thread categories. (although nothing else falls in the same league with the games).

Since that isn't the issue at hand, and anyway the alternate options already been presented, it's best to drop them for now and just stay focused on the current proposal as it is worded.
This motion wasn't being brought up to put an end to the "should OMNI posts count" debate? I'd guess not, for it won't.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:28 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by pinniped
(2) Retroactively applying a rule to people just smacks of sleaziness. FT is better than that. We all bellyache like there's no tomorrow when one of our FF programs drops a change on us with zero notice. We're better than that, right?
I find this a pretty compelling argument. Let's say you are one of those bizarre people who obsess over frequent flier miles (c'mon, YOU know who you are!) and you 'take advantage of the system as it exists' to maximize your ff miles. Let's say suddenly some genius at UA decided that W fares not only no longer counted for ff miles, but that any miles flown on W fares would be removed from your account.

That's effing LAME, man! Who wants to be THAT guy!?!!??
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
I'm doing my best to understand both sides of this issue, and the motivations behind both sides. There's one aspect I just do not understand, why would long-time FT members be ashamed of their own post count, whatever the thread residence?

Buried in this very thread are comments by two FT'ers that directly state that they deliberately hold down their own post count. I genuinely don't understand this mindset. I'm not picking on them, but until I read their comments HERE, HERE, and HERE it never occurred to me that there was a reason to be ashamed of a high post count on FT. Over the past year or so I've come across several posts by them and they both have, IMO, made great contributions to the FT Community. I apologize if this gives offense to either of these two FT'ers who have my respect.

Is there some sort of stigma within the "old-timers" circles regarding a high post-per-day rate?

Do we have a collision here between two fundamentally opposite schools of thought re: post counts? Those who desire high post counts vs. those who try to keep their counts low?

If this perception/stigma actually exists, I have a question for those TB members in favor of this motion, and who also post frequently in OMNI:
"Would the passage of this motion lead to an increase in the number of your OMNI posts?"

I'm for actions that encourage all FT members to contribute meaningful posts, but that's for another thread.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:56 pm

I don't understand what the big deal is.... personally I don't understand why there are post counts at all... seems completely irrelevant to me. Number of post counts doesn't make one an expert in a particular area. I say eliminate them all.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by majorwibi
I kind of feel like you do need to look further since I dont think anyone from OMNI feels that these posts are an adequate representation of OMNI. Counting games are not part of OMNI IMHO and really should be moderated out of existence instead of punishing OMNI for its very existence.

==========================================

Oh and here are the top 10 posters from the Delta Lounge thread.

Lehava 1,796
mikey1003 1,684
Cholula 1,579
indufan 1,444
Dovster 1,335
Traveller 1,319
Canarsie 1,154
Abby 957
tkey75 922
Gargoyle 703

If OMNI goes regarding post counting (as a whole) then threads like this should go too (regarding post counting).
That was already discussed in the Lounge. I dont think any posts in any forum should be counted.

As I have posted before....Post counts are a fixation of addictive personalities.

Higher post counts feed larger egos.

I recommend a motion to do away with post counts completely

Last edited by mikey1003; Apr 11, 2007 at 5:02 pm
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SlowTrekker
Is there some sort of stigma within the "old-timers" circles regarding a high post-per-day rate?
I don't believe I qualify as an old-old-timer, but I personally don't apply any such stigma to folks as I read their posts. Honestly, I've never calculated anyone's "post-per-day" rate. Do people here really do this?

However, I will say this: it has crossed my mind on occasion to totally stop using this handle and start a new one. (Yes, I realize actively using multiple handles is against TOS - I'm saying I'd be willing to completely ditch this one.) I can't put a finger on why I've thought that, but the idea of resetting the post count is appealing in some ways. Maybe I'd reset the whole persona: leave location and programs blank, take on a different tone in OMNI, whatever.

Anyway, those thoughts are fleeting - but I can see why some folks like to lie a little lower than others.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:10 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by mikey1003
That was already discussed in the Lounge. I dont think any posts in any forum should be counted.

As I have posted before....Post counts are a fixation of addictive personalities.

Higher post counts feed larger egos.

I recommend a motion to do away with post counts completely
As opposed to points and miles fixations!?!?

Are you sure you didnt just insult every single flyertalker!?
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Honestly, I've never calculated anyone's "post-per-day" rate. Do people here really do this?
Totally. It's fun to pull out a calendar and a calculator.

Alternatively, it's always on the poster's public profile!

pinninped
PostsTotal Posts: 14,231 (8.23 posts per day)
Find all posts by pinniped
Find all threads started by pinniped
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:52 pm

This is by far one the best posts I have read on this thread so far.

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I have touched directly on it, you have chosen to ignore it. I would lose a lot of posts, I have also acknowledged that. But what bothers me about that isnt the post count. It is 1) it is unfair and 2) it says that posting in Omni is not making a contribution to the FT community.

You cant have it both ways. If it is about people not knowing who the experts are, which few believe and I think you more or less completely discredited with your post by the way when you talk of your view of the "problem", then it should be applied to everything not in the "Miles & Points" category. That includes travel destinations, travel tech (probably my second most frequently used forum I should add). Dont count any of them. I dont think that is a good idea but I wouldnt care that much, because it would be fair. But if those forums count, it is not because of points and miles, by their definition, it is because they contribute to the community.

In that circumstance, this proposal makes people who contribute to Omni not part of the community. And that is offensive and insulting to me. If you took away everyones post count, I wouldnt care. If you reset them all to zero, I could care less. But when your single out myself and others and say we dont value your contribution to the community, yea, I care. And my interest in the FT community generated over 10,000 posts so I care a lot about having been part of that community. And I care a lot when someone tells me Im not.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:01 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Sorry to be a pain in the ****

But according to

http://gallery.flyertalk.com//townhall/

The TalkBoard consists of volunteers who are elected by the FlyerTalk populace. The TalkBoard serves as a User Advisory Council representing the general FlyerTalk population and addresses issues that serve the long-term interests of the FlyerTalk community
How is this vote addressing the long-term interest of the community

If by interest you mean to divide, then I can see the importance of this issue
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
As opposed to points and miles fixations!?!?

Are you sure you didnt just insult every single flyertalker!?

Getting more miles and points is an addiction. But miles and points can be spent.

Post counts are worthless. They do not ever represent a good answer to a question.

I rely on Join Date and my common sense
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Are there any TB members who have not yet recorded a vote?

If so, are they still following this thread as part of their personal decision process?

(In other words, is there any positive benefit for any of us to continue posting to this thread?)
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Sounds good to me. I'm embarrassed by my post count; I'd love to see it drop by 703 ... well, 702 after this post

The current proposal on the table is specific and not about cherry picking threads and forums. The Talkboard is, an needs to, vote only on that proposal. If it is defeated, I think it will be appropriate for TB to come up with a new proposal based on some of the discussions of moving Games to an uncounted subforum, and perhaps including a few other thread categories. (although nothing else falls in the same league with the games).

Since that isn't the issue at hand, and anyway the alternate options already been presented, it's best to drop them for now and just stay focused on the current proposal as it is worded.
My post wasnt meant to be a personal attack on anyone but to point out the fact that non-core FT posts can be found anywhere.

Problem is that this current proposal looks very much like a cherry-picking measure since it was openly admitted (as quoted in one of my previous posts) that OMNI was the single target since there was no way that all the non-core FT posts could have passed in this proposal.

My argument isnt that OMNI posts should count but that if we are going to go down that road of eliminating OMNI posts from the count then all the rest should be considered under the same measure (because of the same logic).
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I have not yet voted. I am still reading this thread. Or more accurately, I read the first few pages real-time, but have been mired in conference calls with attorneys (real job and all) and haven't worked through all nearly-800 posts. I'm printing out the thread and taking it with me tomorrow...

My current sense is that I'm leaning against the motion, but genuinely haven't settled on this yet.

While I'm sympathetic to the theoretical possibility that someone could generate undeserved credibility through a high post count in OMNI, I haven't ever seen an actual case where someone with more credibility than their miles/points postings would deserve actually gives bad advice that someone takes and is hurt by.

On the flipside, I see the value of OMNI as attracting all of the off-topic stuff in one place... the religion, politics, etc. is kept out of the miles and points and travel forums to a large degree by segregating them there. I do think that folks who are interested in their post counts (and I assume that many folks who 'count down from 100k' care about their post counts) will shift some of that into the other forums and become a distraction. I like OMNI precisely because we can draw a circle around the games playing -- and minize the extent to which it goes on elsewhere (in other words I believe some of this stuff is inevitable, and the question is just where it'll take place).

But this is not a firm conviction, which is why I'm going to go through the thread here to see if anyone has shown examples of actual harm from those post counts.

As a separate matter, I'd likely support making titles a manual thing rather than automatically triggered by post counts. "Flyertalk Evangelist" doesn't have to come from 10k posts. It could be awarded.

Similarly, I'm interested in whether there's a possibility for community-enhancing awards, a Flyertalk version of the Freddies if you will, honoring individual members' contributions. This could turn out to be too divisive, too much like high school, that I don't know it would be a good idea. But I'd rather honor positive contributions than yank post counts, unless I see the harm to those post counts through the discussion here.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:24 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

If so, are they still following this thread as part of their personal decision process?

(In other words, is there any positive benefit for any of us to continue posting to this thread?)
Yes and yes. I haven't voted yet either, but like gleff, I am leaning against supporting this motion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.