Search

a Spirit Airlines forum, it's time

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
Airlines like Spirit are like a gift that keeps on giving. Unless you fly them, of course, then you're the one doing the giving. At every turn.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:55 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Shrug; maybe. I didn't read the thread from six years ago or know it existed, until our Spirit enthusiast bumped it up & started 3 more threads regarding it. My guess is some of the other TB members were the same. As you know it came up more recently in the private TB forum.

I'll be posting the motion in a moment, but as you said in the other thread Rich, the supporters will need to make a case just as other airlines who have requested forums have done. In reading the case for Spirit, it's very thin compared to the others who did make a case & were approved recently. But we'll see.

Cheers.
The ones in the private TB forum are faaaar more interesting! ^
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Another Spirit thread? And bumping a 6 year old one at that?

Sorry but if these tactics are any indication of how things would be run on such a forum I am almost inclined not support it's creation on that basis alone.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 8, 2012 at 12:05 pm
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:45 am

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Spirit - Free Spirit miles forum

As another poster mentioned, half of the posts in the north american section are about NK.

NK, while they may be an airline alot would look down at, are making big strides and most people whom I meet on the flights are ecstatic to save money.

Please add that section.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:06 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by maksimfa
Please add that section.
FWIW, that motion had failed back in Feb:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...ine-forum.html
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:10 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
We have merged a new thread requesting a Spirit board, into the legacy discussion.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: USAir, Delta, ChoiceHotels, Marriott
I can understand why there is little talk here about Spirit Airlines. I live near their headquarters in Miramar Florida and there tends to be a putrid smell when the wind blows from that direction.

I fly at least once a month, and rarely if ever do I see Spirit as offering any significant savings. I just randomly put in some dates about a month ahead into Travelocity for a R/T from FLL to DFW. Nonstops: Spirit $215, AA $263 1 stop US Air $242.
From FLL to NYC, oddly about the same prices. On FLL to BWI, at $167, Spirit is exactly $4 less than AirTran and $15 less than Southwest.

So basically, if you check or carry on just one bag each way on Spirit, the savings evaporates or you end up paying more.

Even if you can save a few bucks on certain routes, the thought of having my knees jammed into my throat, uncomfortable seats, dirty bathrooms, fees, fees, and more fees, no refunds unless it becomes national news, etc etc etc.

I really don't get it. But then I do typically have a roller bag so I guess that fact alone makes Spirit more expensive. And God forbid I plan on taking a backpack and need to carry a few more things and need a roller bag .... $$$ $$$ $$$ .... I just added $100 to the "cheap" ticket at the gate.

I gotta go. I need to close the windows and turn on the air conditioning. The wind just shifted and started to blow from the north.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MrKendall

I gotta go. I need to close the windows and turn on the air conditioning. The wind just shifted and started to blow from the north.

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MrKendall
Even if you can save a few bucks on certain routes, the thought of having my knees jammed into my throat, uncomfortable seats, dirty bathrooms, fees, fees, and more fees, no refunds unless it becomes national news, etc etc etc.

I really don't get it. But then I do typically have a roller bag so I guess that fact alone makes Spirit more expensive.
Spirit makes money by surprising customers with fees. A few sophisticated (and not too large) customers learn the system and manage to fly very cheaply on $9 fares and the like. I know one of these customers.

FlyerTalk can help travelers learn the ropes before being caught by surprise. However the number of FlyerTalkers who are interested in gaming Spirit's system has to be very small.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:32 am

Maybe instead of a specific Spirit forum, a Low Cost Carrier forum would be a good addition? Spirit could be covered there, as well as EasyJet, RyanAir, and all the other inexpensive airlines which tend to come and go at a moment's notice (and are therefore hard to keep track of).
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:44 pm

SPIRIT SUCKS!!!
I booked thru Travelocity in April 2012; never notified of a very unusual ONE (1) CHECKED BAG policy on flights to Lima, Peru. When I contacted Spirit within 24 hours as I had four (4) checked bags; I was informed of this incorrect info - but to date NO REFUND? I am in Peru for over one (1) year & others have complained about Spirit making no "concessions" for this error. This has to be contrary to DOT regs. & the law in general; does anyone know a good law firm to prosecute them?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by artemis
Maybe instead of a specific Spirit forum, a Low Cost Carrier forum would be a good addition? Spirit could be covered there, as well as EasyJet, RyanAir, and all the other inexpensive airlines which tend to come and go at a moment's notice (and are therefore hard to keep track of).
That's exactly what Budget Travel Forum is for.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lin821
That's exactly what Budget Travel Forum is for.
That's one forum. The low cost carriers also get covered in the Other North & South American Frequent Flyer Programs, and the Other European Frequent Flyer Programs forums.

Looking at those forums I don't see an overwhelming # of posts re: the low cost dominating the forums to the point that I see a need to create a new forum. Can't speak for other TB members, but that's my thought on the matter.

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by philipc4u59
SPIRIT SUCKS!!!
I booked thru Travelocity in April 2012; never notified of a very unusual ONE (1) CHECKED BAG policy on flights to Lima, Peru. When I contacted Spirit within 24 hours as I had four (4) checked bags; I was informed of this incorrect info - but to date NO REFUND? I am in Peru for over one (1) year & others have complained about Spirit making no "concessions" for this error. This has to be contrary to DOT regs. & the law in general; does anyone know a good law firm to prosecute them?
Philip,

Welcome to Flyertalk. you have posted your anger about Spirit in a forum that really will not generate the feedback you desire. "TalkBoard Topics" is focused on Flyertalk's overall administration. The discussion thread is about where Spirit discussions should be categorized in the future. For now, Spirit contributors are posting mostly in this forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-programs-472/

You might consider starting a thread over there, but please recognize that there are a large contingent of people who believe that Spirit has the right to play by their own rules. They do not deem to be a Delta, American, United, etc.

Moderator2
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Exclamation New Spirit Talkboard Vote

I think it is around the right time for their to be another vote, on the question of Spirit Airlines having its own forum. Thus I request a new discussion & vote on the above question.:-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.