Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by bdschobel
There's really little point in making an issue of this on FlyerTalk because almost nobody here is an impressionable teenager at risk of starting to smoke.
I don't have access to the site demographics, but I'll go out on a limb and say that Internet Brands wouldn't share that information with either Talk Board members, moderators or the general membership. We really don't know what the numbers are in terms of teens visiting FT or those that follow through and register. I have seen some public charts showing unique visitors - cblaisd recently posted one of those in another thread trending upwards - but I don't know if a public data set exists with an age breakdown on users for this site to come up with a specific number of those under-18.

I'd say it's safe to agree we're not going to change each others minds at this point.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:55 pm
Suspended

In order for this teenage smoking issue to have any credibility whatsoever as an objection to the sub forum not being created then a strict rule must be in place to not allow anybody from mentioning smoking anywhere on the forum.

If I'm allowed to ask about smoking at FRA in the Germany section but not in a smoking section than the true motives of this objection is clear enough for everybody to see.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:06 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by tom911
I hope not just the lawyers, but management and employees of Internet Brands would want that warning directed at teen smokers and potential teen smoke to show they care about this major health issue that causes 6 million deaths a year around the world . They're the most vulnerable group in that 9 of 10 smokers try their first cigarette before age 18.
I am arguably as adamantly against smoking as you are; but I am simply saying that it is not within the purview of TalkBoard to delve into legal issues.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I support it.

I enjoy a cigar and whiskey to unwind after a long day at work.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:35 pm

For it.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:41 pm

I'm in favor of creating a smoker's forum on FlyerTalk. I personally don't smoke, but respect that others choose to do so and respect that outside the United there isn't so much anti-smoking culture and that smoking is even encouraged in some places.

I see no need for a disclaimer to be put up. Remember that smoking age is different depending on jurisdiction. Also, the smoker's forum should be open to discussing how to find resources to stop smoking. (Ie. Where can someone find Nicoderm CQ in ____ location).
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I agree with everything negative which has been said about smoking -- including the health risks.

However, I would like to point out that there is a much more serious problem facing the world: Overpopulation.

It is not only the fact that we are fast getting to the point where the earth cannot produce enough food to feed everyone. It is also that overpopulation is man's single biggest contribution to global warming. The more people there are, the more carbon dioxide we breathe out. The greater the population, the bigger the need for energy -- and the associated problems that all sorts of energy production, even solar, produce. The more people there are on the earth, the greater the need for all products that people use.

The obvious track to avoid this is by having fewer children.

Does the Travel With Children Forum encourage people to have more children? I think it is obvious that it does not. Even teenagers are not going to think that starting large families is a good idea because parents on that forum discuss the problems they face when traveling and help each other find accommodations.

In fact, humans are not the only source of overpopulation. Animals, too, breathe out carbon dioxide and need to be fed. The population of wild animals is under control but we breed more and more animals as pets. Does anyone truly believe that if we got rid of the Travel With Pets forum there would be any decrease in the number of pets in the world?

To argue that we must get rid of the Travel With Children or Travel With Pets forums in order not to make having children or pets seem glamorous would be plain silly. The same is true with a Smokers Forum. Nobody, including a teenager, is going to start to light up simply because Flyer Talk has a forum discussing the problems that smokers face when traveling. That argument is just as ridiculous as one contending that we must get rid of the Children and Pets forums to decrease the population would be.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:20 pm

It's 4:20 and it feels like Friday!!! Time to light up everybody!

Have a good extended weekend!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA,BA
ex-smoker ,current vaper , great idea id love to have info from others on these subjects
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I don't smoke, but I can't see any reason not to have a forum for those who want one.

Aye.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:30 pm

Vaping for the last 2 years after smoking for more than 10.
With vaping regulations changing constantly, I'd love to have easy access to current information. ex do I avoid Singapore and Brazil?!

So yes
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by boboqui
Time to light up everybody!
A perfect example of the importance of commas.

Originally Posted by Arsey00
I don't smoke, but I can't see any reason not to have a forum for those who want one.
What purpose would creating that forum fulfill vs. having smokers making posts and asking questions in the existing forums?
If someone wonders if smoking is allowed at a specific Starwood property, why not ask that in the Starwood forum?
New forums should be started for topics that don't have a logical home in the existing forums, but questions about smoking in specific locations or at specific properties should be asked in the existing forums.

If a separate "smoking" forum is created, what's next? A separate ping-pong forum?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by xyzvlad
Vaping for the last 2 years after smoking for more than 10.
With vaping regulations changing constantly, I'd love to have easy access to current information. ex do I avoid Singapore and Brazil?!

So yes
Why can't you get that information in the existing Singapore and Brazil/SA forums?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
Support it
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: WN A-List
I'm in favor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.