Reload this Page >

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
And I certainly hope that if it does go ahead I hope that it isn't given a "cute" name to make it sound glamorous, as per a couple of suggestions that were made in the thread where the forum was mooted (I think that something like The Smokers' Lounge may have been one such, which I would find totally inappropriate).
"Inappropriate"? You make it sound like a form of crime!

Who are you to impose your moral judgments about smoking on other members of the forum?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Definitely not a smoker, but very much support the creation of the forum. I believe that a forum would help in their travels, and help to keep the smoke out of the places I go to.

It seems that some TB members have no interest in getting input from the membership, but just go all Herman Cain on us. Pretty sad, actually.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Support - and am interested to note how many people have been attracted to this discussion, seems to be far more than normally respond to these announcements.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by templar42
Support, but make sure that there is a community editable wiki or something to collate information.

Information on cigar lounges at hotels around the world would be particularly welcome.
Wikis can be added to the top of any thread by any FT member with enough days/posts here to have wiki editing privileges.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 8, 2015 at 9:44 am Reason: autocorrect typo
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
I don't smoke and I support it, providing...

This is not a bad idea at all! As long as this section do NOT promote smoking or other use of substances I do not see a point to be against it. This section can also be use to ask smokers to behave themselves and bring minimum affects on non-smokers.

Anyway I don't think smoking is anything good.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cysyuen
Anyway I don't think smoking is anything good.
I never would have guessed
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Definitely not a smoker, but very much support the creation of the forum. I believe that a forum would help in their travels, and help to keep the smoke out of the places I go to.
Agreed on both sentences, I am not a smoker but support creation of a forum.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by tcook052
Can you share the threads where this has occurred or is this more theoretical like the demand for this forum.
I'm genuinely curious: what metric or indicator would demonstrate to you demand for a forum? Similarly, what metric or indicator would demonstrate to you the need to close a forum? Can you offer a benchmark?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Originally Posted by cysyuen
This is not a bad idea at all! As long as this section do NOT promote smoking or other use of substances I do not see a point to be against it. This section can also be use to ask smokers to behave themselves and bring minimum affects on non-smokers.
I see. So you support it as long no-one says anything positive about smoking, but so that you can say negative things.

I support it for totally different reasons.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I'm genuinely curious: what metric or indicator would demonstrate to you demand for a forum?
Dozens of threads or posts spread across multiple fora but anecdotal evidence in this post showed that wasn't the case. Oh, I know the spin is it's because smokers are fearful of bringing the subject up but that's a convenient misdirection as surely if there were actual demand some members not in fear would post on the subject somewhere.

Similarly, what metric or indicator would demonstrate to you the need to close a forum? Can you offer a benchmark?
Fewer than 3000 posts and 300 threads per year.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

It seems that some TB members have no interest in getting input from the membership, but just go all Herman Cain on us. Pretty sad, actually.
Huh? I really have no idea what you're referring to here. I'm not even sure what it means to "go all Herman Cain on us." Can you elaborate?

Thanks for your support of the proposed forum!

Bruce
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Huh? I really have no idea what you're referring to here. I'm not even sure what it means to "go all Herman Cain on us." Can you elaborate?
Nein, Nein, Nein!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Oh!

Bruce
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:30 am

In favor. I also suggest a wiki page for easy reference, organized by country and city. Also an airport duty-free section (where I buy my cigarettes) with info about prices and deals.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: *G on Voyager & Thai
In favour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.