Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Should the Travel News forum remain open as its own standalone forum?

Here is the Travel News forum. Should it remain open; or should it be closed? Please post objective reasons for either position below.

Keep the Travel News Forum Open

It provides a place where only news linked to other sources can be posted.

Travel News serves a different function than other forums. It is for news articles that can be quickly perused & not buried in other forums. TravelBuzz, for example, has topics such as 'should the spouse get the upgrade' & discussions re: that. Travel News has links to articles of interest that may or may not get commentary, but does get a lot of views so obviously of interest to FTers. Just as some will read articles in the NYTimes, Wall Street Journal, USAToday because the articles are of interest but not comment. That doesn't mean the articles have no value. They're easier to find in Travel News.

Close/Merge the Travel News Forum

It is redundant; and discussions posted in it are best served when residing in other forums on FlyerTalk — such as TravelBuzz, for example.

It is obsolete due to improved technology which has emerged over the years, allowing news pertaining to travel to be easily obtained elsewhere.

It is not at all clear what types of posts belong in it.

Travel News made a lot more sense before FT had a forum for any and every thing travel related. But now FT does and Travel News is out of step with how FlyerTalk is currently organized.
Print Wikipost

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:01 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
All I seek is some sort of clarity around what actually belongs in the Travel News forum...if anything.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by kokonutz
All I seek is some sort of clarity around what actually belongs in the Travel News forum...if anything.
IMHO, a reasonable request.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:41 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

To whom are you asking to provide that clarity? Members of TalkBoard? Moderators? Community director? Fellow FlyerTalk members? The WikiPost found at the top of this discussion?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
To whom are you asking to provide that clarity? Members of TalkBoard? Moderators? Community director? Fellow FlyerTalk members? The WikiPost found at the top of this discussion?
To be perfectly honest I think I already know the answer: the remit is redundant to either travel buzz or the rest of FlyerTalk.

But there are people who seem to genuinely believe that the forum serves a need not met elsewhere on this wonderful web site.

So it is they from them whom I seek clarity.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description [Travel News], and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it.
- Potter Stewart
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ng-policy.html
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
While I too find the persistent critiquing annoying and deterring, I do see the point kokonutz is trying to make by referring to my latest post in Travel News.

I'd just like to explain my line of thinking before (and after) posting said news link in TN, in hope that sheds some light.

I read a news article which in my mind reported the first known major issue of the A359, where MSN15 suffers from lost cabin pressure in flight and returns to base.
To me such news is 'general travel news not associated with any individual program', and I believed other FT'ers would like to read such news in that mindset. I had no intention of debating the incident, the airline, the region or the plane model, and thus thought Travel News to be the perfect spot. It would catch the eye of other members with similar interest in reading news article from all around the world, without spurring much debate.

Admittedly the incident in the news article concerned one specific airline and happened in one specific location. But, any aircraft incident will by nature be related to one airline and will by nature happen in one location and that is not enough in my mind to claim they are primarily about that airline/location.

That was my rationale behind posting that specific link to TN.

As for posting to TN in general; There have been a lot of talk of redundancy but in my mind that isn't necessarily a problem. I can easily see a situation where some topic is being heavily discussed in an airline fora while at the same time that travel news is posted (and possibly discussed) in the Travel News section with a quite different angle. In my mind, that is not cross posting and not redundant.

And in fact, that is exactly what is described in #3 of the posting policy linked by tom911 above. If threads are duplicates, then sure some pruning is needed, but if they are taking different paths, then by all means let them grow.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Those decade-old rules have been modified several times since they were set.

In attempting to answer my own question this morning (Canarsie's question motivated me to find the answers I seek myself) I found the latest Travel News guidelines drafted, I believe, about a week ago in response to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ding-room.html

What's the difference between this forum and other forums? While an imprecise distinction, this forum is to discuss the articles themselves about a topic. Sometimes the topic itself could well be in another forum but one of your fellow FlyerTalkers put a link to an article here because he or she thought the article itself was worth discussing.

So, with that in mind, here are some guidelines for the forum:

Travel Newsis a place to discuss current general news articles that relate to travel in some way.

HOWEVER, topics that are primarily related to one airline (or hotel chain, or car company, etc.) OR are primarily about one locale (and for which there are lots of potential articles that could be cited) should usually be posted in the appropriate airline/hotel/car or destination forum. Again, this is the "periodicals reading room" and the published and linked-to articles themselves are the main thing here.
(bolds and italics are the author's)

Me, I love guidelines. That's why I insisted the TB operate by a set of them and took the lead in drafting the TalkBoard Guidelies. So let's dig into these Travel News guidelines in a quest to answer my question: what actually belongs in the Travel News forum...if anything.

The simple guideline for inclusion is:

- A general news article that relates to travel in some way.

However, these guidelines provide most of their guidance by exception, ie, what CAN'T be posted in the forum that otherwise meets the simple guideline for inclusion:

- A thread that talks about the content or subject of the news article is not allowed. The thread must talk about the article itself.

- A thread without a link to a published article is not allowed.

- A thread related to one airline (or hotel chain, or car company, etc.) is not allowed and should be posted in the appropriate airline/hotel/car or destination forum.

- A thread primarily about one locale is not allowed and should be posted in the appropriate airline/hotel/car or destination forum.

Thing is, FlyerTalk pretty much has a forum for anything travel related. Every single airline in the world has a forum home. Same with hotels and cars. Every destination in the world as its own forum. Our special interest travel forums cover an incredible breadth of general travel issues. So after taking all of those topics away, the remit of Travel News ends up being incredibly narrow.

The only topics for articles I can think of would be those about commercial airframes and propulsion systems as well as articles about how current events (weather, war, disease, etc) are affecting travel but even then only if that effect is broader than regionally since every region in the world has its own forum. And both of those topics get a lot of coverage in TravelBuzz anyway.

But more to the point, does anyone really only want to talk about a news article itself? Aren't we here to talk about the issues of travel (ie, the content of travel articles) rather than the news articles themselves.

It's almost like a nearly impossible game to try to identify a news article that actually belongs in Travel News. As a result few articles get posted. And many of those get locked and moved because the game is so darn hard. And that makes the forum low velocity. So low that it has relatively few visitors, so even when someone rolls a snake-eyes and finds an article that fits the narrow remit, only a fraction of FlyerTalkers see it compared to if it had been posted in TravelBuzz.

Originally Posted by intuition
That was my rationale behind posting that specific link to TN.
It's a hard, hard game!

Perhaps if the article was about a trend of A359s used by different airlines having mechanical issues (as the 787 had) it would have fit the incredibly narrow remit of Travel News as described in the current guidelines. So long as the article itself was worth discussing. @:-)

I suspect Travel News made a lot more sense before FT had a forum for any and everything travel related. But now it does and Travel News is anachronistically out of step with how FlyerTalk is currently organized, making it redundant.

Last edited by kokonutz; Feb 6, 2016 at 10:26 am
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Koko, i think you’ve nailed it - your point about inclusion versus exclusion is very interesting and actually captures what makes a forum intuitive and it’s purpose understandable to all.

To take your point to the extreme, TN really could use a disclaimer below its tag line along the lines of…
Travel News
Link to and discuss the latest travel news articles. it's all the news (for travelers) that's fit to read.

Your articles posted in Travel News may not be compatible with the Information Desk, MilesBuzz, Hotel Deals Hotel Deals, Mileage Run Deals, S.P.A.M., Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus, Aer Lingus | Gold Circle Club, airberlin | topbonus, Air Canada | Aeroplan, Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue, Air New Zealand | Air Points, Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan, Alitalia | MilleMiglia, All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club, American Airlines | AAdvantage, Asiana | Asiana Club, Avianca and Taca | LifeMiles, British Airways | Executive Club, Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles, Copa | ConnectMiles, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles, EL AL | Matmid, Emirates | Skywards, Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest, Finnair | Finnair Plus, Frontier Airlines | EarlyReturns, Hawaii-Based Airlines, Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus, India-Based Airlines, Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank, JetBlue | TrueBlue, Korean Air | SkyPass, LAN | LANPASS, Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More, Qantas | Frequent Flyer, Qatar Airways | Privilege Club, Russia-Based Airlines, SAS | EuroBonus, Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer, South African Airways | Voyager, South African Airways including Mango, South African Airlink and South African Express, Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards, Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus, Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles, United Airlines | MileagePlus, Virgin America | Elevate, Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club, Virgin Australia | Velocity, WestJet | WestJet Rewards, Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines, Other European Airlines, Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines, Other North and South American Airlines, oneworld, SkyTeam, Star Alliance, Accor | Le Club Accorhotels, Best Western | Best Western Rewards, Carlson | Club Carlson, Choice | Choice Privileges, Fairmont | Fairmont President's Club, Hilton | Hilton HHonors, Hyatt | Gold Passport, InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador, Marriott and Ritz-Carlton | Rewards, Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest, Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards, Other Hotel Chains, Credit Card Programs, American Express | Membership Rewards, Chase | Ultimate Rewards, Citi | ThankYou Rewards, Diners Club | Club Rewards, Manufactured Spending, Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft, Rental Car Discussion, Avis | Preferred, Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards, National | Emerald Club, Sixt, Amtrak | Guest Rewards, iDine/Rewards Network, Gaming Loyalty Programs, DiningBuzz, Travel Technology, Travel Photography, Travel Products, Travel Tools, External Miles and Points Resources, Free Travel Contests and Sweepstakes, Travel Safety/Security, Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies, Luxury Hotels, Expert Hotel Reviews, Cruises, Budget Travel, Disability Travel, GLBT Travelers, Religious Travelers, Travelers that smoke, Travel Health and Fitness, Travel with Children, Travel with Pets, Women Travelers, Africa, Americas (including the United States), Antartica, Asia, Europe (including Turkey), Middle East (including Egypt), Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific), Social gatherings and events, Charities, Trip Reports, Member’s Itineraries, Coupon Trading, or any general discussion (political, counting practice, or otherwise), and should not be posted in Travel News. Please consult your friendly neighbourhood moderator, medical practitioner, or priest before posting general travel news articles in Travel News and ask about posting in TravelBuzz instead. Threads posted in Travel News may be locked, moved, or removed in accordance with the focused guidance outlined above.
Joking aside, I think you are on to something and defining forums relating to what they include is the general practice on FT. It kinda works, and magnificently so.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Well, who makes decisions like the recent "Travel News is for meta-discussion about an article about a topic, but not for discussing the actual travel-related topic itself" ?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Poster Fredd made a comment in the TN thread pointing to this thread that makes an interesting point:

Originally Posted by Fredd
Given the rule against cross-posting, I'll make my comments here.

I used to be a fairly regular contributor to Travel News. My late father was a reporter and at one point early on I considered it as a career, so it’s fair to describe me as something of a news junkie as well as a travel junkie.

What I appreciate about this forum is its utility as a one-spot aggregator of travel news, pieces connected to travel or the travel industry that some outlet decided to publish. I find it intrinsically interesting to find out what is considered “newsworthy” - and sometimes downright amusing when the information is inaccurate or badly out of date - and I run across articles I might never see elsewhere.

For example, I’ve been following with interest a recent spate of incidents in which crew and passengers have been injured in sudden turbulence. I see that an article posted about an injured Vietnam Airlines FA has been moved to the “Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines” Forum.

I never would have run across it in that other forum. However, the link has remained up on the Travel News forum. OTOH somebody who subscribes to the other forum can see it also. To me, that’s the best of both worlds.

It definitely requires the moderator to work harder, but I appreciate the effort and as long as there are moderators willing to take on the task, I don’t see the harm in retaining the forum.

Furthermore, in some instances, e.g. the horrific 1977 Tenerife Airport disaster that involved two airlines in one location, a news forum seems IMHO the most logical placement.

YMMV
Fredd views Travel News as a one-spot aggregator of all travel-related news. And so it once was. Of course, we know from the current guidelines that it is not that today; it is a place where only general travel related articles not pertaining to any topic covered by any other forum on FT are meant to be posted.

But what if it was?

What if posters were specifically encouraged to post any and all travel related news articles into that forum, then the moderators of that forum were specifically tasked with locking them and moving them to the more appropriate forum (including Travel Buzz for the narrow, narrow category of travel articles that are currently appropriate for TN's current remit) on FlyerTalk with the locked forwarding thread left in TN .

Pros:
  • There would be some actual utility to the forum as it would return to its original remit of being a news aggrigator.

Cons:
  • It would take a lot of constant work by mods to constantly lock and refer every thread posted there.
  • Since FT is now organized around provider and topic-related forums that's where people post news articles today and presumably most people would continue to do so. So mods would have to be diligent to check to see if a thread about the topic of the news article already exists in the subject appropriate forum to avoid creating duplicate threads there.

Bottom line (as points and miles bloggers always say):

It might not improve the velocity of the forum and would require a great deal more work by moderators.

But that set-up might (MIGHT!) be better than the confusing, anachronistic and redundant status quo.

(as the P&M bloggers ALSO always say) What do YOU think?! Should TN keep its current narrow, narrow remit? Or should we at least try to turn it into a proper news aggregator? Or should it be eliminated/merged with Travel Buzz? Give us your opinion in the boxes below!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Fredd views Travel News as a one-spot aggregator of all travel-related news. And so it once was. Of course, we know from the current guidelines that it is not that today;

But what if it was?
I think many would want that. As I read it, this is the way that people has described their utility of TN in this thread too.

Cons:
  • It would take a lot of constant work by mods to constantly lock and refer every thread posted there.
It would, but this work is already done today, isn't it?

If number of threads in TN significantly rose, the workload would increase, yes.
However, as said before, if you view TN as the aggregator, there is not an absolute need for locking threads. If a discussion occurs in TN and it is taking its own path (for instance on a general level), it could be viewed as a separate subject and be let alone. If the thread is duplicated and/or linked from TN, then I assume those in TN would know the difference and where to discuss on what level.
Maybe it will take even more hard work and/or be more confusing and/or I'm naive, I just wanted to suggest locking needn't be necessary.

(as the P&M bloggers ALSO always say) What do YOU think?! Should TN keep its current narrow, narrow remit? Or should we at least try to turn it into a proper news aggregator? Or should it be eliminated/merged with Travel Buzz? Give us your opinion in the boxes below! But first, sign up for a few credit cards through my links.
Fixed that for you!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:48 pm

It doesn't seem like there is any real reason to keep Travel News open. The scope of Travel Buzz encompasses Travel News. If the intent of FT in general is both to provide information and generate discussion, it seems obvious that news articles attract more eyeballs and discussion in Travel Buzz, given the much lower level of activity in Travel News.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Weighing in with two simple questions:

How much more does it cost to keep the forum open?

How much time is "wasted" in moderating it?

If the moderator is one of the people fighting to keep it open, it must not take too much of their time, and if the costs associated (bandwith, servers, legality of posts, etc) with keeping it open are nothing, then it should be left alone.

My $.02
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

It probably costs nothing in monetary terms but forums filled with redirects do suffer from fragmentation causing issues with the search engine. For example, if you search within Travel News for “SeaPort”, the results exclude http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...on-thread.html, posted last week in TN.

There are additional costs in terms of user experience which kokonutz described in his post above (#563). I’d go further and argue that any forum that requires such a disproportionate amount of housekeeping is symptomatic of fundamental underlying problems - so easily fixed if TB has the will to address it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.