Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Should the Travel News forum remain open as its own standalone forum?

Here is the Travel News forum. Should it remain open; or should it be closed? Please post objective reasons for either position below.

Keep the Travel News Forum Open

It provides a place where only news linked to other sources can be posted.

Travel News serves a different function than other forums. It is for news articles that can be quickly perused & not buried in other forums. TravelBuzz, for example, has topics such as 'should the spouse get the upgrade' & discussions re: that. Travel News has links to articles of interest that may or may not get commentary, but does get a lot of views so obviously of interest to FTers. Just as some will read articles in the NYTimes, Wall Street Journal, USAToday because the articles are of interest but not comment. That doesn't mean the articles have no value. They're easier to find in Travel News.

Close/Merge the Travel News Forum

It is redundant; and discussions posted in it are best served when residing in other forums on FlyerTalk — such as TravelBuzz, for example.

It is obsolete due to improved technology which has emerged over the years, allowing news pertaining to travel to be easily obtained elsewhere.

It is not at all clear what types of posts belong in it.

Travel News made a lot more sense before FT had a forum for any and every thing travel related. But now FT does and Travel News is out of step with how FlyerTalk is currently organized.
Print Wikipost

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:23 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Just take the latest TN post, the only one in the past two days.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...lane-food.html

Oh, right, there's a link to pretty pictures. It is news. Further, it comes from the pinnacle of news sources, with grammar such as "but lest we forget, a decades ago ..."

But there's a link.
Wait, THAT's the kind of 'news' that belongs in Travel News!?

Sooo...under the 'discuss the article not the subject of the article' paradigm, on that thread I can talk about those pictures, but I cannot talk about what the pictures show!?

I am more confused about why Travel News exists and what belongs there vs. Travel Buzz than ever.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:42 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
No, I'm saying it completely belongs in TB (quoting absolute overlap).
My mistake then, I saw sarcasm where there wasn't any and I apologize.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by CMK10
And? I bet I could go through two dozen forums right now and find only one or fewer posts in the past few days. Does that mean we don't need these forums? This kind of nitpicky micromanaging is not helpful for Flyertalk.
I see it as appropriate pruning of the plant to make it healthier.

There is no real taxonomy or organization to FT - it's grown like a weed in 15 years. It should look more like a nice ficus.

(Another interesting example: Frontier's forum remains open even though it transitioned to an ULCC; Spirit, the pioneer of the ULCC model in America, can't get its own forum. There's all sorts of illogic there - or, more likely, simple inertia.)
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Wait, THAT's the kind of 'news' that belongs in Travel News!?

Sooo...under the 'discuss the article not the subject of the article' paradigm, on that thread I can talk about those pictures, but I cannot talk about what the pictures show!?

I am more confused about why Travel News exists and what belongs there vs. Travel Buzz than ever.
Happy to help you with this - the newsworthy part is covered here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...eb-2016-a.html [American Airlines, 68 replies, 5,218 hits]
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian

(Another interesting example: Frontier's forum remains open even though it transitioned to an ULCC; Spirit, the pioneer of the ULCC model in America, can't get its own forum. There's all sorts of illogic there - or, more likely, simple inertia.)
That's precisely the power of incumbency.

To paraphrase the Gipper:

Government programs FlyerTalk forums, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau FlyerTalk forum is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

- Ronald Reagan as edited by kokonutz

Hyperbole? Certainly. But only just.

Originally Posted by Prospero
Happy to help you with this - the newsworthy part is covered here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...eb-2016-a.html [American Airlines, 68 replies, 5,218 hits]
Still utterly confused....

If anyone else had posted that thread in Travel News I'd have been like: must be a mistake as that post clearly belongs in TB. But no one else did, leaving me scratching my head.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kokonutz
W
Originally Posted by goalie
Didn't talk me into voting for Koko'splayground
hy make it personal!? I would never have the audacity to call Travel News xxxxxxx's playground. Whether I thought it is or not. I choose to believe we are all trying to act in the best interests of FlyerTalk and its posters.

In any case this thread is about Travel News. Respectfully, if you want to talk about EM&PR, start a thread. I'd be more than happy to participate!
I'm not the first one to use that reference but as to "personal", I have a two very simple questions-

Why are you so he||bent on closing Travel News and why do you keep bringing this subject up "from time to time" as it almost seems like a personal quest for you to get the Travel News forum closed.

When you were on Tailboard, the motion (brought forward by you) failed on a 7-2 vote (with the only other vote being the person who seconded your motion) so how about taking a cue from Frozen and "let it go"
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Why are you so he||bent on closing Travel News and why do you keep bringing this subject up "from time to time" as it almost seems like a personal quest for you to get the Travel News forum closed.
You can point your question to me as the member who bumped this thread.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:19 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Prospero
You can point your question to me as the member who bumped this thread.
"Point" taken but my first question still remains
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

"Point" taken but my first question still remains
Why are you so he||bent on closing Travel News...as it almost seems like a personal quest for you to get the Travel News forum closed.
I choose to believe we are all trying to act in the best interests of FlyerTalk and its posters. Both those who agree with me as well as those who do not.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm sorry that so much animosity has developed on this thread.

I've been following the discussion to see whether want to change my previous opinion, but without feeling that I can contribute anything here beyond what I said before about the reasons for my opinion.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm sorry that so much animosity has developed on this thread.
Me too. Hint to TB: It ain't koko who's creating the animosity. @:-)
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:51 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
This is a tough topic to debate, as substantiation behind one's position may require questioning a moderator's decision in public. Obviously we all know that is a no-no.

If you have an issue with a specific moderation decision, take it up directly via PM with the person who initiated it. If the response is not acceptable to you, then you can consider contacting the Community Manager.

As to this thread, the regular contributors are all experienced at elucidating their voices coherently. I'm confident you can make your position known without getting personal or too specific.

Last edited by Moderator2; Feb 5, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so now there is a thread about a Vietnam Airlines plane losing cabin pressure posted in Travel News.

Is that the sort of article that belongs there, or does that belong in the Airlines of Asia forum? Would an article about delta go in there or does it go in the delta forum?

Or does that thread belong there but only if people talk about the article rather than the contents of the article?

Or if this is a(nother) case of someone misunderstanding this forum's remit and that thread will eventually be locked and moved?

Again, not trying to talk about moderation, moderators or any specific moderation action. Just using that thread as an example to try to understand what actually belongs in that forum and what does not.

Can anyone explain?

Last edited by kokonutz; Feb 5, 2016 at 4:30 pm
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I have to say I find your critiquing of every article posted there to be frustrating. It may also deter people from posting. It is not the job of FTers to decide who gets to post what and where, if you think something is posted in error then hit the Alert A Moderator button.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I have to say I find your critiquing of every article posted there to be frustrating. It may also deter people from posting. It is not the job of FTers to decide who gets to post what and where, if you think something is posted in error then hit the Alert A Moderator button.
Forums with a clear mission do not normally encounter such a high volume of misposted threads. This point has been raised several times by several individual members in this discussion. I do not believe raising the continued disparity is criticism of the post or poster, rather it points to TN’s dysfunction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.