Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Should the Travel News forum remain open as its own standalone forum?

Here is the Travel News forum. Should it remain open; or should it be closed? Please post objective reasons for either position below.

Keep the Travel News Forum Open

It provides a place where only news linked to other sources can be posted.

Travel News serves a different function than other forums. It is for news articles that can be quickly perused & not buried in other forums. TravelBuzz, for example, has topics such as 'should the spouse get the upgrade' & discussions re: that. Travel News has links to articles of interest that may or may not get commentary, but does get a lot of views so obviously of interest to FTers. Just as some will read articles in the NYTimes, Wall Street Journal, USAToday because the articles are of interest but not comment. That doesn't mean the articles have no value. They're easier to find in Travel News.

Close/Merge the Travel News Forum

It is redundant; and discussions posted in it are best served when residing in other forums on FlyerTalk — such as TravelBuzz, for example.

It is obsolete due to improved technology which has emerged over the years, allowing news pertaining to travel to be easily obtained elsewhere.

It is not at all clear what types of posts belong in it.

Travel News made a lot more sense before FT had a forum for any and every thing travel related. But now FT does and Travel News is out of step with how FlyerTalk is currently organized.
Print Wikipost

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I would agree with your deletion, but would add to the phrase "latest travel news articles" the words "published general" after the word "latest." (Reason: Someone blog-flogging is not a "published" "news" story)

I do not think the geographic note is necessary.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by cblaisd
The moderator of that forum would be happy to discuss with you via PM, as a matter of collegial courtesy.
I post here as a general member so would prefer to air any suggestions/thoughts that I have as transparently as possible and visible to readers of this forum but thanks for the offer.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Utterly correct.

And there is a tendentious definition of "health" that is being used here.

It's kind of sad, really.
Not really. Without running stats, it seems like when there's a call to put the forum out of its (some would say) misery, a limited number of troops find things to post. But that is just a non-scientific observation based upon recollections that this fragile little mind doesn't necessarily retain very well.

As far as "tendentious," um, that goes both ways, because some might say that something so moribund yet has a pulse and occasionally recognizes a visitor is perfectly healthy.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:35 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
The moderator of that forum would be happy to discuss with you via PM, as a matter of collegial courtesy.
You want to take a public discussion offline with another moderator to discuss changes to a forum in secret? Oy vey.

Originally Posted by Prospero
I post here as a general member so would prefer to air any suggestions/thoughts that I have as transparently as possible and visible to readers of this forum but thanks for the offer.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Moderators making decisions about the remit of forums behind closed is not a best practice.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 1:04 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by kokonutz
You want to take a public discussion offline with another moderator to discuss changes to a forum in secret? Oy vey.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Moderators making decisions about the remit of forums behind closed is not a best practice.
Oh where is that 'like' button?!

(which I originally opposed. And I want to use it on a post from koko. OMG I feel this is going to be a revolutionary day for me.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kokonutz
The politics of trying to shutter a FT forum for cause are always...fascinating.

And fruitless.
I wouldn't say that they are always fruitless, even if the fruit is of the poisoned apple variety. Look at what was done to the TS&S topic area. If you can't kill it, divide and conquer it?

Did TB decide to make that move?

Personally, I find decisions of governance to be best when the discussion about governance items is open for all to participate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.