Wiki Posts
Search

Increased Transparency in TB Votes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Do we all already voluntarily say in the threads in this forum how we vote when we vote and why?
No, you don't, but hasn't there only been one vote this year that's concluded? Last year one Talk Board member didn't post a single time in the forum, including threads where there were votes. This year you have one member who has contributed twice, and neither of those posts was about how he voted.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by kipper
Thanks. I knew it was posted somewhere, but I wasn't up for looking for it.
Not much effort as it's in the forum sticky.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:04 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by tcook052
Not much effort as it's in the forum sticky.
That would make sense.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Dear Boys and Girls:

It is estupid to time stamp the votes. It does nothing material for transparency. if your rules provide that you have between date/time x and date/time y to vote, this is the deemed acceptable time frame. You can do what you want with that time; i.e., vote early, concentrate on work, travel, wait for the constipation medicine to work, ponder all the comments - whatever.

The remedy (not that one is needed) lies in changing the voting period, not in micro-managing and micro-analyzing why someone voted so early, so late, whatever. "He didn't even think about it and voted too early." "She wasted everyone's time by her delay."

This is separate and apart from someone being an active TB participant, and so forth.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:10 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
estupid
"estupid." LOVE it.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
Not only have I weighed in but I was the first one to vote
For the record, I voted approximately sixteen and a half hours ago on the rental car reorganization motion. I'm sorry I didn't document the time more precisely.

BTW, I'm not going to reveal the number of people who have voted so far or the identities of those who have and have not voted. At least so far, statements about who has voted when would seem to be included in normal TB confidentiality rules, with just the final list of how each individual has voted being made public.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For the record, I voted approximately sixteen and a half hours ago on the rental car reorganization motion. I'm sorry I didn't document the time more precisely.

BTW, I'm not going to reveal the number of people who have voted so far or the identities of those who have and have not voted. At least so far, statements about who has voted when would seem to be included in normal TB confidentiality rules, with just the final list of how each individual has voted being made public.
I'm content to announce that I voted pretty shortly after the vote was announced and I voted "for" the reorganization based on collective feedback from the membership as well as my own thoughts on the matter.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Ditto.

Bruce
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:41 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Pub24
Too bad this means you didn't wait until the original proposer weighed in again.
That's part of why I don't understand the rush to vote. If you rush to vote, you miss seeing some of the discussion.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
But if your mind is already made up, is the public discussion really going to change your vote? I had this discussion before with a past member who voted within minutes of an issue going out to vote. He already had his mind made up and the public discussion wasn't going to change anything.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by tom911
But if your mind is already made up, is the public discussion really going to change your vote?
You don't know what you don't know. It always makes sense to wait for public discussion.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nsx
You don't know what you don't know. It always makes sense to wait for public discussion.
That's been my policy. Maybe it won't make a difference, but I want to listen to the arguments not only in the early general discussion but also the reactions after the details of the specific motion have been posted. IMO to do otherwise is disrespectful. In fact, it's hard to imagine many issues where there is absolutely no chance ex ante that that I could be convinced vote in some particular direction, even though I may have early opinions about various matters. I often post in TBT threads that I'm leaning in some direction or that I have particular reservations and/or concerns.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
In this case, the issue moved far beyond what the original voter suggested. Furthermore, as I crafted the new motion based on a lot of thought, discussion and consultation with numerous people who work in the rental car industry and are here on Flyertalk, should I still have waited?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kipper
That's part of why I don't understand the rush to vote. If you rush to vote, you miss seeing some of the discussion.
I really don't know how else to explain this to you but I'm going to try once again in the only language I can speak.

There is no rush to vote. None. Zero. Zilch. Zip. Nada. Several other current and former TB Members explained this to you the last time you mentioned it, why do you continue to believe in it?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I really don't know how else to explain this to you but I'm going to try once again in the only language I can speak.

There is no rush to vote. None. Zero. Zilch. Zip. Nada. Several other current and former TB Members explained this to you the last time you mentioned it, why do you continue to believe in it?
Other TB members would disagree with the statement that there is no rush to vote.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.