Increased Transparency in TB Votes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Increased Transparency in TB Votes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I'm inclined to the view that this is a solution in search of a problem. If there really is an issue with people taking too long to vote then reduce the length of the voting period.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The long voting period is there to accommodate travel and work schedules and life in general. All of which are acceptable as long as the person has a reason to drag out a motion that's at 8-0 for ten days past when the person before them had voted. This would require an explanation.

And it would cut both ways too, there's also a claim that some people vote too fast, those people would explain why they felt comfortable voting quickly.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
Completely agree this is simply score settling.
Agreed, I cannot comprehend why this is a public thread. Inasmuch as the outcome of the vote is announced as soon as a majority is made I do not care what the remaining members do or when they do it.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
It's not a huge big deal, but no action occurs -- this could change! -- until the vote is complete. We have had situations where eight people had voted, the outcome was clear, and still the ninth person (the same person multiple times) refused to vote until the very, very end. Many of us are annoyed (seems like the right word), and that's on display here. I'll plead guilty to being one of the annoyed people. Not much more to say, really.

Bruce
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CMK10
I think seeing a pattern could be useful. Over the course of several votes seeing the same single member voted 7-10 days after everyone else, effectively holding up a motion from passing consistently is information that might be of value to FT.

Especially if such a member wants to accuse others of improper conduct.
This isn't the first TalkBoard session where a member voted at the end of the voting period. I highly doubt that, even with a timestamp, it would be the last session.

This screams that it's a petty, internal spat, taken to the public forum. If you want to share useful things about TalkBoard, why not take koko's suggestion of making the private TalkBoard forum read-only for everyone?
Originally Posted by bdschobel
It's not a huge big deal, but no action occurs -- this could change! -- until the vote is complete. We have had situations where eight people had voted, the outcome was clear, and still the ninth person (the same person multiple times) refused to vote until the very, very end. Many of us are annoyed (seems like the right word), and that's on display here. I'll plead guilty to being one of the annoyed people. Not much more to say, really.

Bruce
Again, it's not the first session where a member has waited to vote until the end of the voting period. Do you really think something like this will matter?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I must say I think it's amusing that people are so quick to call this a petty internal spat when the suggestion was originally made by a non-TalkBoard member.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I must say I think it's amusing that people are so quick to call this a petty internal spat when the suggestion was originally made by a non-TalkBoard member.
jackal had been on TalkBoard previously, so he has a good understanding of how things work.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:42 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I wonder: what if we change the guidelines to announce and forward to the CD a recommendation as soon as it hits six yes votes (and say that in the public forum), but allow TB members to keep voting and announce the vote tally after the last vote?

Would that reduce overall 'annoyance?'
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Yes, it would. That is a wonderful suggestion!

Bruce
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:19 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I wonder: what if we change the guidelines to announce and forward to the CD a recommendation as soon as it hits six yes votes (and say that in the public forum), but allow TB members to keep voting and announce the vote tally after the last vote?

Hmmm, this would need to be coordinated with the friendly amendment process in case the amendment occurred after 6 Yes votes (or when the 6th vote arrived during the amendment process). If we were to make this change I would like the guidelines to specify whether we will allow the amendment or not in these cases.

FYI the Community Director reads the private TalkBoard forum and is well aware of the vote count at all times. So she knows when a recommendation is coming. Sometimes she acts before the vote closes, and that's fine with me. Knowing the vote count also gives her a head start on sorting out threads to put into a new forum.

In summary, I think the current system works adequately. In general I am not a fan of making value-reducing changes for the purpose of reducing annoyance.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:26 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by nsx
Hmmm, this would need to be coordinated with the friendly amendment process in case the amendment occurred after 6 Yes votes (or the 6th vote arrived during the amendment process). If we were to make this change I would like the guidelines to specify whether we will allow the amendment or not in these cases.

FYI the Community Director reads the private TalkBoard forum and is well aware of the vote count at all times. So she knows when a recommendation is coming. Sometimes she acts before the vote closes, and that's fine with me. Knowing the vote count also gives her a head start on sorting out threads to put into a new forum.

In summary, I think the current system works adequately. In general I am not a fan of making value-reducing changes for the purpose of reducing annoyance.
Under the current guidelines once a vote hits six yes votes an announcement is made that it will pass.

I'm not sure I think it's appropriate to change the language of a proposal AFTER it has been announced that it has passed.

I'm not sure if you just gave me a reason to oppose the friendly amendment process...but you may have.

(BTW, FWIW, for those who have never been on TB, this thread is IMHO a good example of what many threads in the private TB look like: making sausage!)
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:03 pm

What happens if TalkBoard members miss votes, or just don't vote?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by kipper
What happens if TalkBoard members miss votes, or just don't vote?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11201712-post3.html

i. Any voting TalkBoard member may make a motion for the censure or for a recommendation for removal of another TalkBoard member or officer. Censure or removal of an elected TalkBoard member is a grave matter and should only be employed in severe circumstances. It should never be employed based on a disagreement of policy, personality or style.
ii. A motion to censure or remove shall include the valid grounds for censure or removal as allowed by these guidelines.
iii. Should such a motion receive a second the President shall initiate a sticky poll to allow TalkBoard members to vote on the matter, which shall take place by secret ballot.
iv. A 2/3 majority of TalkBoard members shall be required for approval of such a motion.
v. In the event of the passage of a motion to censure or remove, the TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary shall post the motion along with the results of the censure or removal vote in the Town Hall forum along with a statement by the TalkBoard member should he or she desire to include one and then ask the TalkBoard forums moderator to lock that thread 'per TalkBoard guidelines.' Should the motion fail there is to be no public notice of the motion whatsoever.
vi. In the event of the passage of a motion to remove, the President (or the Vice President/Secretary if the motion involves the President) shall submit a request for removal and replacement of said member to the FlyerTalk Host for consideration.

vii. Grounds for censure or removal of a TalkBoard member:
a. Fails to participate in three consecutive discussions on pending motions without prior notice, where prior notice constitutes a post posted in the thread kept for that purpose in the private TalkBoard forum
b. Misses three consecutive calls to vote without prior notice where prior notice constitutes a post posted in the thread kept for that purpose in the private TalkBoard forum
c. Has been permanently removed from the rolls of active, registered members of the FlyerTalk community
d. Demonstrates by his/her actions that he/she is not able to actively participate in the TalkBoard duties
e. Acts in willful and gross serious, repeated violation of the FlyerTalk member Terms of Service (TOS)
f. Acts in willful and gross serious, repeated violation of these guidelines
g. Abuses the censure and removal process
viii. As with any motion approved by the TalkBoard, in all cases the FlyerTalk Host makes the final determination whether to act on the TalkBoard recommendation to remove a TalkBoard member or not.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Under the current guidelines once a vote hits six yes votes an announcement is made that it will pass.

I'm not sure I think it's appropriate to change the language of a proposal AFTER it has been announced that it has passed.

I'm not sure if you just gave me a reason to oppose the friendly amendment process...but you may have.

(BTW, FWIW, for those who have never been on TB, this thread is IMHO a good example of what many threads in the private TB look like: making sausage!)
I agree with you. Once a motion has (effectively) passed, it cannot be changed, except by a new motion. Of course, since we merely recommend changes, the Community Director can make any required -- or just helpful -- modifications to our motion on her own. No amendment or new motion is strictly necessary.

Bruce
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:23 pm

Thanks. I knew it was posted somewhere, but I wasn't up for looking for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.