FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Increased Transparency in TB Votes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/1659634-increased-transparency-tb-votes.html)

CMK10 Mar 2, 2015 11:05 am

Increased Transparency in TB Votes

This subject has come up in the Friendly Announcement thread. Originally posted by Jackal:

I'm almost at the point of calling for all votes, including the timeframe of who voted when, to be 100% public. I have a strong suspicion that the TalkBoard member arguing most vehemently against the proposal in this thread is also the direct cause of why every vote TalkBoard has done this session has been dragged out almost to the absolute end of the voting period.
I figured a thread to discuss this is a good idea. I'll be hitting the Alert a Moderator button to have discussion from the other thread moved here.

SkiAdcock Mar 2, 2015 11:12 am

As I posted in the other thread:

We (TB) implemented the public announcement of when a motion will pass/fail once a motion gathers (or doesn't) enough votes to pass, so FTers don't continue to argue for/against something if a decision has been made.

The list of who voted yes/no/abstain is made public when all votes are in or the 2 week voting period ends, whichever happens first.

Even if a vote goes the full two weeks, to paraphrase a comment either in this or another thread, this isn't Congress/the United Nations. The FT world will not come to an end.

I don't see the point of amending the TB guidelines for a time stamp.

I'm trying to think of what pressing benefit to FT is accomplished by knowing that someone voted at 2:53 am on (pick any date in the 2-week period).

Amending TB guidelines to add a time stamp ranks up there with the seriously, this is what TB concerns itself w/ chain of thought IMO.

Cheers.

bdschobel Mar 2, 2015 11:23 am

I didn't suggest this and don't see tremendous value in it beyond the general advantage of greater transparency. I have absolutely no objection to adding a time-stamp and would vote for it if formally proposed. As I said in the other thread, I require absolutely no confidentiality in my TalkBoard responsibilities.

Bruce

dchristiva Mar 2, 2015 11:27 am

Originally Posted by bdschobel (Post 24441065)
I didn't suggest this and don't see tremendous value in it beyond the general advantage of greater transparency. I have absolutely no objection to adding a time-stamp and would vote for it if formally proposed. As I said in the other thread, I require absolutely no confidentiality in my TalkBoard responsibilities.

Bruce

I completely agree. Happy to offer full transparency behind my voting.

tcook052 Mar 2, 2015 11:46 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 24440999)
Even if a vote goes the full two weeks, to paraphrase a comment either in this or another thread, this isn't Congress/the United Nations. The FT world will not come to an end.

I don't see the point of amending the TB guidelines for a time stamp.

Me neither especially since this seems aimed at one particular TB member.

bdschobel Mar 2, 2015 11:48 am

Not necessarily. Transparency is a good unto itself. More is always better.

Bruce

CMK10 Mar 2, 2015 11:51 am

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 24441222)
Me neither especially since this seems aimed at one particular TB member.

If this takes hold long term, that member will eventually time out. My reason for pushing this is because of the general demand for greater TB transparency.

kokonutz Mar 2, 2015 12:44 pm

Do we all already voluntarily say in the threads in this forum how we vote when we vote and why?

I too am all for transparency, but how many of us can say we have led by example?

To me this is a half-measure. Let's make it mandatory for TB members to explain each of our votes in the public TB forum at the time we make that vote.

Which is still only a half measure (so the OP is, by my calculations, actually a quarter measure :)), because I still think that if we want total transparency we should make the private TB forum open as read-only for all posters.

CMK10 Mar 2, 2015 12:46 pm

Oh I certainly can. I was one of two people to vote no on the time delay motion and I reported why, and then was shouted at, for my opinions.

MSPeconomist Mar 2, 2015 2:56 pm

If there are going to be timestamps on TB votes, then we should go back to all of the horrendously quick votes that have occurred over the last year and a third. People who voted for major changes almost immediately after it was possible to caste their votes should be held accountable for those actions.

CMK10 Mar 2, 2015 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 24442425)
If there are going to be timestamps on TB votes, then we should go back to all of the horrendously quick votes that have occurred over the last year and a third. People who voted for major changes almost immediately after it was possible to caste their votes should be held accountable for those actions.

I'm one of those people and I'm happy to take credit for it. I vote quickly, that is a fact. I have no shame in that. I might also add that we've had no horrendously quick votes because the votes have invariably been delayed by a single member despite most of them being 8-0 at that point.

I'm happy to be held accountable, the question is, does the one person who held up votes for more than a week feel the same?

dchristiva Mar 2, 2015 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 24442425)

You're welcome to your opinion, but it's just that: your opinion. Whether I or any other TB member voted in a fashion you deemed "horrendously quick" does not make that vote wrong. Nor should the voter be "held accountable for those actions" any more than someone who held onto his/her vote until the 11th hour and voted "poorly" in my opinion. Time has no bearing on the "correctness" of a vote.

And count me among those who are more than happy to be "held accountable" for however I vote. Fast, slow, however. I will always be able to explain my vote.

bdschobel Mar 2, 2015 4:49 pm

Same here.

And just to show that I can be pedantic, too, votes are cast, not "caste"!

Bruce

bdschobel Mar 2, 2015 4:52 pm

I cannot help observing that someone who objects strenuously to criticism of her cautiously slow voting happily castigates others for "horrendously quick" voting.

Bruce

nsx Mar 2, 2015 5:20 pm

CMK10, I don't believe that time stamps for votes exist in vBulletin. If they do, I think this is a good idea. Otherwise, it's too much work with too much potential for dispute.