Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should Premium Fare deals get its own forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The motion to establish a Premium Fare Deals subforum under the Mileage Run Deals forum was passed 23 October 2014. The new forum can be visited here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

Extract from the "Motion Passed: Creation of a Premium Fare Deals subforum" thread:

Motion Passed: Creation of a Premium Fare Deals subforum

Moved by kokonutz and seconded by jason8612:

"The TalkBoard recommends to the Community Director the creation of a subforum called 'Premium Fare Deals' in the Mileage Run Deals forum."

Forum description:

"Discuss specific premium fare code 'good deals' including fare deals that book into premium economy, business and first class cabins. Once any fare expires, the title should be changed to note '[fare expired]'."
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I don't believe further dividing the MR forums would draw enough of a benefit to offset the confusion it would create.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect thaat we're talking about a sub forum (of MR), not a separate forum of its own for premium fare deals. Also, to set definitions, premium would include IFC, business class, domestic FC (USA carriers), and separate premium economy cabins. We might want to include any deals on Y+/EC seat fees for carriers such as UA and DL that have special seats with more pitch and other amenities in the front of the coach cabin, although technically these are coach fares combined with seat reservation fees.

Alternatives might be to direct posts about premium cabin fare deals to the dedicated fora for the airlines offering such fares or the fora focusing on their alliances (but I suspect that the alliance fora aren't checked very often by many people on FT unless they have some specific question about an alliance). Currently I've noticed that sometimes premium cabin fare sales are posted in the airline's forum and I don't think this should be discouraged or that such threads should be moved to MR and merged into the exiting megathreads. Less commonly one sees premium fare deals being discussed in destination fora or even in a relevant DO thread located in CommunityBuzz, especially when we observe a price war for flights to some particular destination.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
I don't believe further dividing the MR forums would draw enough of a benefit to offset the confusion it would create.
I agree, there's really not that much traffic in MRs as there is, and of the threads I see, I don't think the majority are Premium fares. Also, people seem good about titling these threads correctly so people know they're F/J. I see no reason to bifurcate the forum but I will keep an open mind if someone wants to make a compelling suggestion to change it.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JW76
I agree
The new forum idea has been discussed before, and shot down repeatedly by the moderators.
It will never happen.
New fora are not up to moderators; we have not "shot down" anything of the sort, because that task is out of our hands.

The purvue is TalkBoard's, and it has been explained above by rwoman what should be demonstrated to TalkBoard membesr so they can deliberate the issue with due diligence and vote accordingly.

If the issue is compelling, TalkBoard will undoubtedly approve a new forum; if it is not, they probably won't. TalkBoard's record speaks for itself.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:26 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum

I think it would be a great addition and benefit to the FT community. There is an increasing volume of FTers fed up with the devaluation of FF programs and difficulty in upgrading who are buying premium fares IME.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i vote that there should be a subforum for both premium and economy good deals within the MR deals forum. it's RSS feed friendly and it wrangles the discussion about specific fares to individual threads, so it's also much more user friendly than the current megathreads.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

It looks like the premium thread has had almost 1.5 million views this year. Seems like a lot of interest!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by jkenn
It looks like the premium thread has had almost 1.5 million views this year. Seems like a lot of interest!
some of that viewership is people looking at it multiple times per day only to find that new posts only constitute continued discussion about a misfiled US Air Z fare that books into F... @:-)

still, this is exactly the discussion that could be wrangled into its own thread, making it much easier to shop the new postings on a day to day basis for the majority of users who don't want the discussion, just the fares...
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:38 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tcook052
Seconded. Oh wait, I'm not on Talkboard any more so I'll simply say that I agree
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Probably half are mine.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: TG*G VA Plat
I think a Premium forum or sub-forum would be a great idea. Personally I think it would get enough traffic to justify its creation.

Out of interest, whats the cost (time/money/work) involved in creating a new forum/sub forum? If the cost is low then surely its worth trialling?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by rwoman
jkenn,

As TB and others consider your suggestion, the following are usually part of said consideration.

Looking in the MR forum - this appears to be the primary thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...es-2014-a.html

A couple of other recent threads in the MR Discusion forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...iscussion.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...ack-again.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-rt-first.html

It seems an independent forum on Premium Class deals would highlight a particular segment for some folks, but would it gain sufficient traffic?
jkenn,

Per the criteria I posted on the first page, please consider responding to the quoted items. It'll help TB and others make considerations towards your suggestion.

Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:04 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I have been in favor of creating a economy good fare and premium good fare subforum since the last time this idea came up in 2012:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...l#post19505515

It's a great idea, and it's well PAST time to implement it.

And I say this as someone who spend a LOT of time on the premium fare thread.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:07 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I just posted this to a new thread in the private TalkBoard forum:

The issue of turning the MR 'good deal in premium cabin' fare thread into a subforum has come up for the third time in 2 years:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...own-forum.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...um-forums.html (this is a merged thread)

I would love for this to be the last thing I am involved in before I get termed out of the TB.

I AM going to make a motion to do this at some point. I'll happily tell you why.

For those of you who don't really spend time in MR or buy premium fare tickets, the premium ticket thread is the single most important thread on FT for those of us who do.

I literally check it 2 or 3 times a day to see if anything new has come up.

By creating a subforum for premium fares, those of us who care about premium fares can see at a glance what is going on without digging through a single thread. It would be a godsend.

Mileage Run Deals, by definition, is where great cpm deals live. Terrific.

But many of us don't care about cpm. We care about getting to Europe for <$2.5k in J however the cpm happens to work out. Or from Europe to Asia for same. So the good deal premium fare is out of place in MRD anyway because it is not about mileage running. That thread only exists thanks to the good will of the forum moderators.

If you doubt its utility and popularity, consider that that one thread has 1.5 million views in 10 months. Imagine if the thread were actually spread over a subforum, giving readers utility and convenience. It might become one of the most popular non-program forums on FlyerTalk!

I am not a fan of the '7 questions for a new forum' test. Hate it, actually.

But I believe that I have addressed all seven.

This forum needs to be created.

Let's DO it!

Last edited by kokonutz; Oct 10, 2014 at 4:27 pm
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:09 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I literally check it 2 or 3 times a day to see if anything new has come up.

By creating a subforum for premium fares, those of us who care about premium fares can see at a glance what is going on without digging through a single thread. It would be a godsend.

Mileage Run Deals, by definition, is where great cpm deals live. Terrific.

But many of us don't care about cpm. We care about getting to Europe for <$2.5k in J however the cpm happens to work out. Or from Europe to Asia for same.

This forum needs to be created.

Let's DO it!
Amen!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.