Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should Premium Fare deals get its own forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The motion to establish a Premium Fare Deals subforum under the Mileage Run Deals forum was passed 23 October 2014. The new forum can be visited here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

Extract from the "Motion Passed: Creation of a Premium Fare Deals subforum" thread:

Motion Passed: Creation of a Premium Fare Deals subforum

Moved by kokonutz and seconded by jason8612:

"The TalkBoard recommends to the Community Director the creation of a subforum called 'Premium Fare Deals' in the Mileage Run Deals forum."

Forum description:

"Discuss specific premium fare code 'good deals' including fare deals that book into premium economy, business and first class cabins. Once any fare expires, the title should be changed to note '[fare expired]'."
Print Wikipost

Should Premium Fare deals get its own forum?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I think mixing premium and economy deals in one forum is bound to fail.... It will create confusion about what is what, and for those like me who generally aren't interested in eco fares it will mean a lot of titles to scroll through without any use for them.

And such a forum shouldn't only be judged by the activity either. When the forum and its posts gets a lot of views it should be considered a succes. I normally don't see a reason to respond if the fare is stated clearly.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:56 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in CUZCO, PERU
Originally Posted by RTW1
I think mixing premium and economy deals in one forum is bound to fail.... It will create confusion about what is what, and for those like me who generally aren't interested in eco fares it will mean a lot of titles to scroll through without any use for them.

And such a forum shouldn't only be judged by the activity either. When the forum and its posts gets a lot of views it should be considered a succes. I normally don't see a reason to respond if the fare is stated clearly.
Personally (obviously), I tend to agree.

There should at least be a curtain between eco and premium fares...if not a velvet rope! ^
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by kokonutz
What you seem to be suggesting is that the MRDeals forum would allow posting of both threads about a CPM fare deal and about good fares in premium cabins, each fare in its own thread in MRDeals before they expire and are moved to the MRDiscussion forum.
No what I'm proposing is to move only the 'Good Deal Premium' fares over to a repurposed MR Discussion forum and let members continue to post premium fare ultra low CPM deals suitable for MR's in MR Deals and when those expire move them to the new MR Discussion forum.

The expired premium fare threads already in this forum are fairly clearly labelled to be so any new premium fare threads could do likewise and should be visible enough.

I can appreciate the advantages of a dedicated forum but feel one more forum adds to the layers making navigation that little bit harder especially for new users or those who aren't as adept at board organization as those of us here.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
No what I'm proposing is to move only the 'Good Deal Premium' fares over to a repurposed MR Discussion forum and let members continue to post premium fare ultra low CPM deals suitable for MR's in MR Deals and when those expire move them to the new MR Discussion forum.

The expired premium fare threads already in this forum are fairly clearly labelled to be so any new premium fare threads could do likewise and should be visible enough.

I can appreciate the advantages of a dedicated forum but feel one more forum adds to the layers making navigation that little bit harder especially for new users or those who aren't as adept at board organization as those of us here.
Hm. So the current AND expired premium fares would be mingled with the expired CPM threads?

I don't think I like that approach at all.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Hm. So the current AND expired premium fares would be mingled with the expired CPM threads?

I don't think I like that approach at all.
I have to agree. Now that I've thought about it some more, I'm not sure I like the idea of using a re-titled Mileage Run Discussion thread for the Good Deal Premium fares after all.

Probably best to go back to the original idea of a separate sub-forum.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'd agree with this.

I don't think it makes sense to co-mingle them.
Cheers.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:47 pm

Since they really are not about mileage runs, should we just just create a 'premium fares' thread rather than making it a Mileage Run forum subset?

And since premium fares are not really about points and miles, should a stand-alone forum be placed under the Travel forums category rather than the Miles&Points forums category?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:07 pm

Since they really are not about mileage runs, should we just just create a 'premium fares' thread rather than making it a Mileage Run forum subset?

And since premium fares are not really about points and miles, should a stand-alone forum be placed under the Travel forums category rather than the Miles&Points forums category?
1. Wait - I thought that's what already existed & what everyone was so upset about?

2. I could go either way on this. OTOH, most people probably still go to M&P forum first & while it's more on premium fares than points, points still might be important to some. OTOH, we have Luxury Hotels in the T&D forum.

Cheers.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
1. Wait - I thought that's what already existed & what everyone was so upset about?

Cheers.
Sorry, I meant premium fares forum .

As in, not a sub-forum.

2. I could go either way on this. OTOH, most people probably still go to M&P forum first & while it's more on premium fares than points, points still might be important to some. OTOH, we have Luxury Hotels in the T&D forum.
Right. Just trying to think this all the way through.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect thaat we're talking about a sub forum (of MR), not a separate forum of its own for premium fare deals. Also, to set definitions, premium would include IFC, business class, domestic FC (USA carriers), and separate premium economy cabins. We might want to include any deals on Y+/EC seat fees for carriers such as UA and DL that have special seats with more pitch and other amenities in the front of the coach cabin, although technically these are coach fares combined with seat reservation fees.

Alternatives might be to direct posts about premium cabin fare deals to the dedicated fora for the airlines offering such fares or the fora focusing on their alliances (but I suspect that the alliance fora aren't checked very often by many people on FT unless they have some specific question about an alliance). Currently I've noticed that sometimes premium cabin fare sales are posted in the airline's forum and I don't think this should be discouraged or that such threads should be moved to MR and merged into the exiting megathreads. Less commonly one sees premium fare deals being discussed in destination fora or even in a relevant DO thread located in CommunityBuzz, especially when we observe a price war for flights to some particular destination.
Originally Posted by 18sas
Counter-Proposal: (MSPEconomist) “Alternatives might be to direct posts about premium cabin fare deals to the dedicated fora for the airlines offering such fares or the fora focusing on their alliances.”
My response: While I understand the thinking, this would be detrimental to discussing, searching and finding premium fares. Typically someone will find a fare on a particular airline and post it, others will then jump in trying different airlines and origin/destination points, since often deals are loaded for many routes and airlines often match fares. The mega-thread is beneficial for the cross-germination of ideas and for the effective crowdsourcing of deal searching. I think it will be more effective in the sub-forum, but getting rid of the mega-thread to disperse the conversation into various other fora would be ultimately counter-productive.
Since when did my comment concerning alternative forms of organization that we could consider for completeness become a "Counter-Proposal"? If you read the rest of the paragraph--or indeed just the rest of my same sentence--containing the words you quote, you'll notice that I give reasons to dismiss these alternatives. In no way was I advocating what you call my "Counter-Proposal."
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:51 pm

So I am feeling pretty firmly that a new forum or sub-forum is needed for premium fares. Per MSPeconomist's suggestion, premium would include IFC, business class, domestic FC (USA/Intra Euro, Aussie or Asia carriers), and separate premium economy cabins. Also including any deals on Y+/EC seat fees for carriers such as UA and DL that have special seats with more pitch and other amenities in the front of the coach cabin, although technically these are coach fares combined with seat reservation fees.

So...only question left in my mind is whether this is a sub-forum of MR or a stand-alone forum either in M&P or Travel.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:43 pm

I'm leaning against T&D. Given MSP also references more points/miles in her argument 're premium economy and my thought that folk lookin for good prremium fares are not going to turn up their nose at extra miles points, I don't think it belongs in t&d.

Btw -we Mau get more input on tues after the quasi US Holliday (columbus day) and Canada thanksgiving/legit holiday.

I hate auto correct

Cheers
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Since when did my comment concerning alternative forms of organization that we could consider for completeness become a "Counter-Proposal"? If you read the rest of the paragraph--or indeed just the rest of my same sentence--containing the words you quote, you'll notice that I give reasons to dismiss these alternatives. In no way was I advocating what you call my "Counter-Proposal."
My apologies, I called it a counter-proposal because I wanted to call it something and it wasn't a counter-argument. There really wasn't any more to it than that. I didn't intend it to be critical or antagonistic. I understand that you were brainstorming for solutions and that's completely helpful and reasonable.

I typed this out on a word processor, so I didn't use the quote feature like normal and maybe that wasn't a good idea.

But to be honest, to someone reading it, it isn't completely clear that you are dismissing the idea other than the comment about alliance fora.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT

Not sure I agree with this. Although not true mileage runs, I think that a big interest is on using the premium fares to build trips to earn status or help re qualify. Look at the BA tier point thread for example. My worry is that this thread may kill some of the deals quicker -- look at the CMB fares as an example.

But that all said I think that I would still like to see a separate forum.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: HH Silver
Also including any deals on Y+/EC seat fees for carriers such as UA and DL that have special seats with more pitch and other amenities in the front of the coach cabin, although technically these are coach fares combined with seat reservation fees.
I think mixing premium and economy deals in one forum is bound to fail
There should at least be a curtain between eco and premium fares...if not a velvet rope!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.