Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

"Like" Button?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Q: What is your view on FlyerTalk implementing a "Helpful" button feature?
Support
59.72%
Oppose
37.93%
No opinion
2.34%
Voters: 725. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts in this thread. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input.

Pros:
* Makes Flyertalk more modern; more like Facebook, LinkedIn, and other progressive internet bulletin boards
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes it easier for airlines/companies to find mistake fares/glitches/underground tricks
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.
* Older posts will tend to have more likes/helpfuls on average than newer posts in the same thread, which can be misleading when the information is out-of-date. [added by MSPeconomist]

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?
* Can users "opt out" and select to remove all trace of the system, as is currently possible with the ignore list and removing view of signatures?
Print Wikipost

"Like" Button?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by goalie
Perhaps one of the airline, hotel forums? Or maybe even the Mileage Run Deals or one of the Travel Safety & Security Forums?
OMNI would be "the" place to test it where it isn't a safe forum.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:45 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If (n.b. if) there was to be a test forum, I personally would like to see a forum with a heavy amount of traffic as by taking the safe way out, with a forum with a lower amount of traffic you might/might not get a fair and balanced result
Here's what I posted in the private forum about that:

As to the choice of test forum, we could run the trial in some really contentious forum, but that carries more risk than Trip Reports. I do believe if we decide to proceed to a second trial forum it should be the most challenging one we can think of. Then we will have the necessary evidence to kill the experiment if that's what needs to happen.

This whole process of finding out what actually works best for our members might take a couple years. I'm in no hurry, since we've been taking about this feature many years with no action except one poorly designed effort.
If the other TalkBoard members would prefer to go directly to the trial by fire, I would support that. I just think working out any glaring problems in Trip Reports first is a safer way to proceed. But you are absolutely correct that we need the trial by fire at some point.

I understand that some people are certain the feature will have no value. What I have trouble understanding is some people also are so sure of their assessment that they oppose a trial to gather more information, information which could surprise all of us.

Last edited by nsx; Dec 11, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Perhaps one of the airline, hotel forums? Or maybe even the Mileage Run Deals or one of the Travel Safety & Security Forums?
Well one of my concerns is that the button will make Flyertalk into more of a popularity contest. I think an airline forum might sharpen my fears without showing me the button's usefulness. That seems to be less of an issue in hotel forums and travel safety & security though so I'd be more inclined to start it there.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by nsx

If the other TalkBoard members would prefer to go directly to the trial by fire, I would support that. I just think working out any glaring problems in Trip Reports first is a safer way to proceed. But you are absolutely correct that we need the trial by fire at some point.

I understand that some people are certain the feature will have no value. What I have trouble understanding is some people also are so sure of their assessment that they oppose a trial to gather more information, information which could surprise all of us.
I'm pretty sure I'm being lumped in here, and now I see why. Upthread, I said that I opposed this in any form. What I meant was that I oppose the reader feedback mechanism in any form. If folks want to implement some kind of "trial" (assuming that it is not cumbersome), I would not object.

While I don't think FT needs any kind of "reader feedback" mechanism, if that's what the overwhelming majority of FTers want, I would not oppose simply because of my own thoughts on the matter.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:29 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Would it be possible, perhaps via a site-wide announcement from the CD, to conduct a poll of FT users on whether this feature would be wanted? This thread and the other one are just a very small sample of FT membership.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by lo2e
Would it be possible, perhaps via a site-wide announcement from the CD, to conduct a poll of FT users on whether this feature would be wanted? This thread and the other one are just a very small sample of FT membership.
I am usually in favor of a poll.

While not a perfect mechanism for gauging what members of FlyerTalk want, it does give a quick visual idea on helping to decide how to proceed, in my opinion...
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I am usually in favor of a poll.

While not a perfect mechanism for gauging what members of FlyerTalk want, it does give a quick visual idea on helping to decide how to proceed, in my opinion...
A poll is a good idea.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:12 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by CMK10
Well one of my concerns is that the button will make Flyertalk into more of a popularity contest. I think an airline forum might sharpen my fears without showing me the button's usefulness. That seems to be less of an issue in hotel forums and travel safety & security though so I'd be more inclined to start it there.
Bolding mine: Agreed ^ and how does the like/helpful button stay honest? Or in other words, what's to stop someone from liking/helfulling a post "just because they wanted to (or even if the post content is flat out wrong and thus not helpful). What does that do for folks who see a post marked as liked/helpful where it's obviously not helpful?

Originally Posted by kipper
A poll is a good idea.
Assuming members actually participate in the poll and read this (and the "informative button" threads" as opposed to posting "hey, I just noticed this button thingy! When did that happen"

Originally Posted by nsx

Bolding mine: What I have trouble with is a proposal which folks are hellbent on pushing thru and then lo and behold, there's a lot of opposition to it so let's take the easy way out and try and sneak it in via a back/side or lower traffic door as imho, THAT is taking the easy way out. Now for sake of argument, let's say the trial gets moved, seconded voted on and passed-is there a time limit as to "the trial"*, how do you propose closing the trial because it didn't work, how do you prose to roll it out if the trial succeeds? I personally think that hoemwork should be done by the folks who want to see this happen and not put F/t'ers in as the beta testers**. And as I posed above, how does the like/helpful button stay honest? Or in other words, what's to stop someone from liking/helfulling a post "just because they wanted to (or even if the post content is flat out wrong and thus not helpful). What does that do for folks who see a post marked as liked/helpful where it's obviously not helpful?

*We could ask CMK10

**COdbaUA has done and is notorious for doing that and some of us know how that works out
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:35 pm

Bolding mine: Agreed ^ and how does the like/helpful button stay honest? Or in other words, what's to stop someone from liking/helfulling a post "just because they wanted to (or even if the post content is flat out wrong and thus not helpful). What does that do for folks who see a post marked as liked/helpful where it's obviously not helpful?

Assuming members actually participate in the poll and read this (and the "informative button" threads" as opposed to posting "hey, I just noticed this button thingy! When did that happen"

Bolding mine: What I have trouble with is a proposal which folks are hellbent on pushing thru and then lo and behold, there's a lot of opposition to it so let's take the easy way out and try and sneak it in via a back/side or lower traffic door as imho, THAT is taking the easy way out. Now for sake of argument, let's say the trial gets moved, seconded voted on and passed-is there a time limit as to "the trial"*, how do you propose closing the trial because it didn't work, how do you prose to roll it out if the trial succeeds? I personally think that hoemwork should be done by the folks who want to see this happen and not put F/t'ers in as the beta testers**. And as I posed above, how does the like/helpful button stay honest? Or in other words, what's to stop someone from liking/helfulling a post "just because they wanted to (or even if the post content is flat out wrong and thus not helpful). What does that do for folks who see a post marked as liked/helpful where it's obviously not helpful?

*We could ask CMK10

**COdbaUA has done and is notorious for doing that and some of us know how that works out
How does one decide if the trial is successful or a failure? Who decides that?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:14 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Either the community director or the TalkBoard of this year or next. Probably the CD since she has a more complete picture. However the TalkBoard isn't approving expansion until after hearing from the CD and voting on a new proposal.

As to goalie's request for a time limit on the test I don't object to that if the other TalkBoard members prefer it that way.

goalie would you prefer a two phase test or a single trial by fire? I don't mind that two phases will take longer but i suppose there is entertainment value in a quick and spectacular failure.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well I figure we won't really know that until we see the data. How often it's used, how it's used, user response to it etc. We could set up a poll afterwards perhaps.

And btw, to Goalie, one of my suggestions was not allowing people to use the "Like" feature unless they met similar qualifications to posting in OMNI/CC. I figured that might help a little.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:30 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

As to goalie's other request to set out a rollout plan, that's premature. With images we had plenty of concerns and no such plan. It was step by step as I recall. In that case results were surprisingly trouble-free. I hope for that outcome but nobody knows yet. The current TalkBoard should not pretend it can tie the hands of future TalkBoards or the Community Director who will have better information after any trial.

So in summary ideally it will work like images did. Time will tell.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:35 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

CMK10 I intend to poll TalkBoard members on each feature and put the most favored features together before voting on anything.

By the way regardless of whether anything happens on this idea I hope this thread serves as a good example of how to take our time developing the best available consensus. That's a large part of why I'm doing this on the public forum almost exclusively. What you see here is very nearly exactly what normally happens in the private forum.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Either the community director or the TalkBoard of this year or next. Probably the CD since she has a more complete picture. However the TalkBoard isn't approving expansion until after hearing from the CD and voting on a new proposal.

As to goalie's request for a time limit on the test I don't object to that if the other TalkBoard members prefer it that way.

goalie would you prefer a two phase test or a single trial by fire? I don't mind that two phases will take longer but i suppose there is entertainment value in a quick and spectacular failure.
So, you don't have an idea of what qualifies as a success or a failure, nor do you have a metric that will define either? Speaking for the entire TalkBoard about approving or vetoing expansion is a little far-reaching, isn't it?
Originally Posted by nsx
As to goalie's other request to set out a rollout plan, that's premature. With images we had plenty of concerns and no such plan. It was step by step as I recall. In that case results were surprisingly trouble-free. I hope for that outcome but nobody knows yet. The current TalkBoard should not pretend it can tie the hands of future TalkBoards or the Community Director who will have better information after any trial.

So in summary ideally it will work like images did. Time will tell.
Again, so you don't have a plan for any of this?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:55 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Speaking for the entire TalkBoard about approving or vetoing expansion is a little far-reaching, isn't it?
No. Read the working draft. If approved in that form it puts TalkBoard on record as making no recommendation about wider use of reader feedback. In other words I am speaking of a proposal in which TalkBoard will speak for itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.