Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Does FT "attitude" drive newbies to blogs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does FT "attitude" drive newbies to blogs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

previously - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...l#post18139256 (link to a post) >
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My thoughts for the 2012 Talkboard

How do we turn a newcomer who finds us thru Google search into a contributing member?
interesting - IB, CD, TB >

Originally Posted by Tiki
Internet Brands is here to make a profit, they do have to pay for all the expenses running a huge site like FT so why not capture the credit card revenue currently going into the pockets of bloggers? Maybe set up a whole newbie miles and points clinic in which the mods or ambassadors or whatever guide the newbie through the basics, links are provided to the usual credit cards but they are not given the advanced secrets and loopholes until they are ready to learn on their own via the usual forums.
and i dont see any reason why not. revenue blogs wouldnt like the competition.

* specifically regarding that thought and TB, there could be a forum to go along with that content.
* and that might be a bridge for those who ONLY look at blogs, to eventually move to main FT forum.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by djp98374
This is the core of the problem here....you demonstrated it in your post.

Just because someone has a low post count DOES NOT mean they dont know what they are talking about.

This is a common attitude not just on here but on many topic driven chat boards----you get cliques that develop and people that have attitude. Generally its when they dont like repeating themselves. Its also split by people who have been around vs people who havent.

The person posting in that thread is not sure how the site works. YOU ARE NOT the one to judge that...you need someone who hasnt posted much on here if at all or someone who never saw the site and ask their opinion on how user friendly the topics boards are in finding items.

You may saw there is a thread on a topic---but nobody in their right mind is going to read some 30 pages of posts just to try and find the info they want.

Sorry to disagree - but I disagree. I do read all the pages. I find that little golden nuggets often appear that lead to a better understanding of information that I am looking for.

Very few people are into everything that goes on here at FT. Some are heavy fliers and could not care less about credit cards. Others are into the bonuses and free miles. Most often people start slow in one area and then branch out. Reading those pages gives you insight. Getting one question answered often leads to more. Reading gives you answers. Why ask the same question over and over again? Look at the mint thread. The same question was asked and answered dozens of times. And even if you don't want to read the entire 30 pages, how about going back just a few? Or using the search function?

Yes, it may take some time to read 20 pages or so, but isn't the outcome worth some of your time? I think that is the reason some are reticent to answer questions. They perceive the wannabe spoon fed types can't be bothered to spend a little time looking for answers that will enable them to fly cheap or free.

The other problems for newbies is that quick answers might lead them into trouble. Jumping feet first into some areas might get you financially reviewed, shut down or lose money. I agree with Marathon Man, this is a marathon around the world. Not a sprint to the Great Wall of China. Newbies need to learn the nuances as well. Learning the nuances will generate long term FTers that hopefully will then know enough to contribute back into the community. Not just a quick shot for miles/points and then are gone.

Last edited by balima; Sep 2, 2012 at 11:02 am Reason: add content
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:19 pm

As someone who's only posted here here for a few weeks but has read it for a while and has done some of this stuff for a while longer i'll weigh in by saying a lot of the attitude, and randomness of moderating leaves a lot to be desired.

I hate to break it to a lot of you but as someone who trades derivatives at a multi billion dollar hedge fund nothing on these boards is difficult or requires much intelligence. The real benefit is that by pulling experiences it saves some time since not everyone needs to try everything. Likewise, not all of us have the time to read hundred of posts.

The best posts seem to be ones with a running update on the first page much like what is done at fatwallet and other similar sights. Also, the use of stickies should be increased.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FunkyMonkey
as someone who trades derivatives at a multi billion dollar hedge fund
your point is?

nothing on these boards is difficult or requires much intelligence
practicing law may not require intelligence, but you have to learn and remember information.

The real benefit is that by pulling experiences it saves some time since not everyone needs to try everything
correct.

not all of us have the time to read hundred of posts
perhaps you can clarify what there is time for.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The best posts seem to be ones with a running update on the first page much like what is done at fatwallet and other similar sights.
Can you give us a couple of examples where this would work on FT, particularly on an airline forum? I look at my home forum (AA), for example, and just have to wonder how you can identify these threads that need a "running update on the first page", yet alone who is going to provide this update. Who would you task with that on a forum with hundreds of active threads each day? Moderators?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:04 pm

My point is that while I'm a "newbie" at posting on flyer talk I guarantee you i'm a lot better versed at arbing financial situations and inefficiencies than the overwhelming majority of people of this board regardless of how long they've been applying for credit cards and ordering dollar coins from the mint. And that I can likely add a lot to some of these discussions if I don't get fed up in the meantime.

Not sure what your point is about practicing law. I don't see anyone practicing law on this board.

Instead of expecting people to read 400 page threads and acting elitist when they dont have time to do so perhaps a better solution is to increase the use of stickies and/or FAQs/updated posts on the first page. This would allow people like me to get up the curve on what is already known a lot faster and without dealing with people who think they're gods because they know how to apply for credit cards in a slightly better way and then we can start contributing a lot sooner.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Can you give us a couple of examples where this would work on FT, particularly on an airline forum? I look at my home forum (AA), for example, and just have to wonder how you can identify these threads that need a "running update on the first page", yet alone who is going to provide this update. Who would you task with that on a forum with hundreds of active threads each day? Moderators?
The master thread for credit card deals in mile buzz is the best example on this board that I've seen.

Im guessing there can be some consensus formed on at least some of the threads that could use something like that. The topics that come up over and over again, the topics that run for hundred of pages, etc. Tricks to book an aadvantage award (open jaws, stop overs, the fact that you get screwed with taxes on BA out of London, etc), updating thread on AA lounges throughout the world, etc. again I'm not an AA expert so I'm sure you could come up with better ideas.

Obviously, if there's no one person or group of people that wants to update stuff as things come out (like they do on the credit card thread) that it's a mute point but I'm guessing there are some who would like to do it. I know I will in the future.

Last edited by FunkyMonkey; Sep 2, 2012 at 7:21 pm
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Not sure what your point is about practicing law. I don't see anyone practicing law on this board.
hehe, you will if stick around and make enough posts to qualify for OMNI Everyone's a bush-lawyer there
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Likewise, not all of us have the time to read hundred of posts.
the use of stickies should be increased.
Those too busy to read many posts seeking information are equally as unlikely to consult stickies, at least IME.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052:19241756
Likewise, not all of us have the time to read hundred of posts.
the use of stickies should be increased.
Those too busy to read many posts seeking information are equally as unlikely to consult stickies, at least IME.
Perhaps I don't have a large enough data set but I don't see a ton of threads being started on mile buzz about what the best card is for each use. On the other hand I see a ton about other topics where something like that doesn't exist.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by tom911
I believe this has everything to do with wikiposts, which isn't any attitude nor moderation issues, but rather a techy implementation and/or improvement of FT. In a nut shell, wikiposts are always the 2nd posts in any given thread and every poster can help edit and keep the info current. Wikiposts are collaboration and IB hasn't been able to make it happen on FT for years.

You can join the discussion in these two existing threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sugge...s-threads.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...flyertalk.html

I personally think this line of discussion (on wikiposts & its implementation) is OT for this thread.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:12 am

i think it works both ways, ft may drive some to blogs, but blogs also lead many newbies looking for more here. overall there are many nice kind & helpful (to newbie) FT'rs but as with any forum there are deff. a few bad eggs that make it unpleasant for newbies. they were having similar issues some time ago at fatwallet (particularly in the finance forums) with newbies afraid to post or be pounced on and if i am correct, the mods took it on themselves to work with some of the senior members to try to help the newbs and go out of their way for them. I think they even gave the senior members some free schwag for it.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Perhaps I don't have a large enough data set but I don't see a ton of threads being started on mile buzz about what the best card is for each use. On the other hand I see a ton about other topics where something like that doesn't exist.
Well maybe the format of FT is not great for everything, and it certainly doesn't just deal with finance, so one has to go digging, but I have gleaned most of my information about all things CC, credit, CB, GC, Miles, Points, rebates and promos from forums like this one. And I tend to rely on places like FT more than blogs when wanting to find something out that's new--ie, I can make a new thread, which one cannot do in a blog unless they make their own blog!--and I can make that thread here even about non-mileage issues.

For example, you stated you know a lot about finance... Kindly look at THIS thread I started about a banking issue I had (and find I keep having) and comment there. It seems if finance is your forte then Ft has a place for you in many sections. I do suppose that you will have to read the entire thread to fully understand the issue at hand that I brought up. It's not long though, and yes, one needs to MAKE time if one is inclined to do a thing of interest. You may be new or have few posts, but that is not why I would judge you. It would be on your willingness to participate in a way that both debates and discusses things on FT as well as contributes with new information or deals we can use along the way.

I will say, however, that my reading of your posts--just at first that is--made me think that if anything, YOU had some 'tude goin on there--especially by saying that much of what we all do in here requires little intelligence, which to some, means we is stoopid or sommin. Then again, as I type I will admit that I am up way too early and haven't had coffee so maybe I just read it wrong-like. I am sure what you are trying to say is that the line of work you are in requires a high level of attention and careful planning, and it deals with huge sums of money so some of what we discuss here is chicken feed in terms of the amount of money being laid out.

That said, I will remind you of this fact--which is where we mileage mongers win over people who have a lot of money to toss around like those hedge funders you work for must:

A business class ticket from say AMS-SEZ with a stopover in VCE can run you upwards of $10,000 per person. But you can also do it with just 90k UA miles. That's a couple CC apps and a few gift card promos or something. How to do those promos and which CC is WHY we are here reading and posting and tweaking and learning.

The big difference between this stuff and the world of finance (or law for that matter) is that while all three have imperfections, this one is, as I have said many times before, a lot like the way money and society was around the days of Al Capone. The ball is moving in a hundred different non-accountable directions at all times and differently for many people, and there is much corruption and little reliability on absolute value. The whole thing could crash tomorrow and you're out 200,000 miles or you can find a windfall and gain 300k more in some fast moving little schema. It's a roller coaster ride, which many here seem to very much thrive on--self included.

Maybe this does not impress you or blow your hair back, but to me, a lot of what goes on in here is gold. And I haven't paid cash for a plane ticket to anywhere for myself or my family of 4 in about 8 years so think of the savings!

Much to digest there...

MM
Old Sep 3, 2012, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
For example, you stated you know a lot about finance... Kindly look at THIS thread I started about a banking issue I had (and find I keep having) and comment there.
funkymonkey is new to FT & not Omni-enabled, so won't be able to view the thread you linked to in your post.

I'd also like to point something out (this is generic & not aimed at anyone in particular). MileageRun & MileageBuzz are certainly 2 important forums on FT, but they're not the only 2 forums on FT There are many forums that cover airline, hotel, car rental, regions of the world, types of travelers, etc. Not everyone comes to (or stays on) FT just to find a cheap mileage run or churn cards.

Re: bloggers. I'm on a few bloggers email list. If the blog is only about ccs (which quite a few of them seem to be nowadays) I delete the email as I don't churn. Another FTer said she does the same. We both would like to pick up tips about the hotels & airlines. So I might get a quick heads up from some bloggers on hotel stuff, but most of the time I find it on FT or find additional info re: it on FT.

Cheers.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
MM, if you come from a certain line of work you tend to read thing carefully, yet quickly. Back when I started work at an engineering office fresh out of college my boss told me to always read everything, if possible chronologically. It was a pain then (try reading a tender document for a chemical plant and you will know what I mean) but it has given me speed reading skill to this day and make reading FT easipeasy. I'm assuming the previous poster was pointing out something similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.