Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Does FT "attitude" drive newbies to blogs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does FT "attitude" drive newbies to blogs?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Pretty insightful comments, MM.

Unrelated, but I've been meaning to say this:

I think it's pathetic the number of bloggers who have <500 posts on FT. Their claim that they are giving back to the community makes me laugh! And to think, many of them have quit their real job to blog full-time. Simply incredible.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:32 am

The whole concept of "blogging full-time" makes me laugh, to say the least. This shouldn't be anyone's dayjob (but I've come close on a few occasions )...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
The whole concept of "blogging full-time" makes me laugh, to say the least. This shouldn't be anyone's dayjob (but I've come close on a few occasions )...
Unless youre a parent with kids now in school and you suddenly have like 4-6hrs a day free that you may not have enjoyed in years!

Or if you lose your job but have also found ways to actually make a near living off points and miles and cash back deals

Then its not laughable at all because such a blogger would be laughing at everyone who is working 9-5 and has to sit in traffic twice a day to do so and then get max two weeks off a year when its hard to book and redeem for travel at all the busy vacation times

I also must add i have nothing bad against bloggers. Many have helped me both in their posts and in person. Some only have like 500 ft posts because they learned how to watch and listen rather than blabber like me lol
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Many have helped me both in their posts and in person. Some only have like 500 ft posts because they learned how to watch and listen rather than blabber like me lol
As in, repackaged FT posts?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope! Not that
And not me-cuz i can find those meself
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In fact id like to once again thank mommypoints for the time not long ago where she personally pmd me codes for something i needed that she read my post about

And her blog has much original content to it
Old Aug 30, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: Many
If they can pluck the jewel in FT post #487 from a thread that goes for 23 pages and save me having to read all the rest, well I'm OK with that. Each format has its uses.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by abcx
Apologies if I was misunderstood. My point was that FTers are nice even in cases where the poster has clearly not done their homework. That shows that FT is really not hard on newbies, even in cases where it could be argued that the newbies don't deserve help. So I don't see a 'problem' with FT attitude per se.
This is patently untrue. While many FTers are great individuals and will gladly help a "newbie", there are way too many that are nothing but snark and condescension. One just need to look at the noxious environment of the AA forum to see what nastiness lurks on FT in the forum of "evangelists" and wannabes.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:24 am

I actually don't believe FT "attitude" is the reason some people choose blogs over FT. Instead, I believe people read blogs because they are simply more user friendly to use than FT is. You can quickly read several blog articles without having to dig through lots and lots of posts on FT to find the content you're looking for. The FT user interface also leaves much to desire. It is ugly, outdated, and hard to find information. Blogs look pretty, modern, and are easy to find information.

If the FT forums looked and operated more like http://slickdeals.net/forums/ , the user community would grow.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re blogs >

Originally Posted by freeloader
"attitude" doesn't led newbies to blogs as much as blogs are way easier to deal with
Originally Posted by Stubtify
The allure of blogs comes from slick photos, discussion of how a $5,000 FC seat was had for $2.50, and glossing over all of the real work
So blogs have become more popular and user friendly by nature. They capture the immediacy people utilize these days with social media such as Facebook and Twitter
interesting - IB, CD, TB >

Originally Posted by Tiki
Internet Brands is here to make a profit, they do have to pay for all the expenses running a huge site like FT so why not capture the credit card revenue currently going into the pockets of bloggers? Maybe set up a whole newbie miles and points clinic in which the mods or ambassadors or whatever guide the newbie through the basics, links are provided to the usual credit cards but they are not given the advanced secrets and loopholes until they are ready to learn on their own via the usual forums.
and i dont see any reason why not. revenue blogs wouldnt like the competition.

The whole concept of "blogging full-time" makes me laugh
new media. blogger = independent writer.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by justforfun
One just need to look at the noxious environment of the AA forum to see what nastiness lurks on FT in the forum of "evangelists" and wannabes.
That forum has plenty of moderators. Have you alerted them about any of these issues?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:18 am

But what blogs have done is that they have made it ok for people who only rely on them or rely on them too much to think LESS for themselves some times. And that, my friends, is exactly what we must avoid.

MM
I think that sums it extremely well.

And what I see is that some blogs (Miles Abound, Frequent Miler) encourage independent thinking. Others...not so much. They follow the same marketing approach as MLM, and push what is best for them recognizing that they need to cash in before the bubble bursts. "Big" blogs like FTG don't need to do that, because they know they'll survive.

But, at the end of the day, we're all responsible for ourselves.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by tom911
Isn't that how it should be? Not everyone has a command of everything that appears on FT. The poster you're referring to has 20 posts compared to you having over 2,000. I'd expect you to have a higher level of expertise. Someone with 20 posts? Maybe not. I'm willing to give those folks the benefit of the doubt and nudge them in the right direction. It's something I do pretty regularly in a newbie thread on one of the airline forums I frequent. Sometimes that's all that is needed.

This is the core of the problem here....you demonstrated it in your post.

Just because someone has a low post count DOES NOT mean they dont know what they are talking about.

This is a common attitude not just on here but on many topic driven chat boards----you get cliques that develop and people that have attitude. Generally its when they dont like repeating themselves. Its also split by people who have been around vs people who havent.

The person posting in that thread is not sure how the site works. YOU ARE NOT the one to judge that...you need someone who hasnt posted much on here if at all or someone who never saw the site and ask their opinion on how user friendly the topics boards are in finding items.

You may saw there is a thread on a topic---but nobody in their right mind is going to read some 30 pages of posts just to try and find the info they want.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by djp98374
YOU ARE NOT the one to judge that...you need someone who hasnt posted much on here if at all or someone who never saw the site and ask their opinion on how user friendly the topics boards are in finding items.
And once we find this person and ask them about whether a specific forum is user friendly, what do we do once he answers that it's not? I just don't see how this is a topic for the Talk Board as it's about moderation in the various FT forums. I see a lot of comments here about how bad things are, but solutions seem to be lacking. Do have have a suggestion as to what the Talk Board should do once this new member says a forum he visited is not friendly? Keep in mind that the Talk Board does not supervise moderators.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djp98374
---but nobody in their right mind is going to read some 30 pages of posts just to try and find the info they want.
ahhhh but isnt THAT like calling customer service and going through something like this?

Grandpa Joe: Mr. Wonka?
Willy Wonka: [pointedly ignoring them] I am extraordinarily busy, sir.
Grandpa Joe: [tentatively] I just wanted to ask about the chocolate - The-the lifetime supply of chocolate, for Charlie. Wh-When does he get it?
Willy Wonka: He doesn't.
Grandpa Joe: Why not?
Willy Wonka: Because he broke the rules.
Grandpa Joe: What rules? We didn't see any rules, did we, Charlie?
[Charlie shakes his head briefly]
Willy Wonka: [springs up from his chair, angrily] Wrong, sir! Wrong! Under section 37B of the contract signed by him, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void if - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy:
[grabs a magnifying glass and reads]
Willy Wonka: I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera... Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum, et cetera, et cetera... Memo bis punitor delicatum!
[slams the contract copy and the magnifying glass down, continues shouting]
Willy Wonka: It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You stole fizzy lifting drinks! You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!

I think people DO need to find post 437 or 556 in a thread of thousands and read the info. I think people should follow along as best they could and find allies along the way with whom to chat and learn from. I think at the very least, a long thread should be attempted to read in full, if not most. It is our responsibility if we wish to learn the ins and outs of a rule.

Now on the other hand, I am not one of those who spends the exact same amount of time typing something like, "are you lazy? I think you should read before making me repeat it again" to people. I do not normally care if someone is new or not, and I will often direct people who seem vested in things to where the data is or what steps to do, AND I generally do not discriminate between someone with 40 posts vs 4,000. Then again I'm just awesome so there

But think of it this way too: Some teacher asks you to write a paper on a subject that you need to toil with for days before finally completing the project. And then when you pass it in, they glance, toss it on the table and give you a B--without actively reading it! How would you feel? We do WORK in here and when someone comes along who just wants the benes but isnt willing to do the work, it's a bit sad. Of course, the game is all about doing as little as possible for the biggest gain (ie, doing some simple online promo and ending up with two C tix on a plane to Europe or something) but we shouldnt be doing that to each other!

In Ft, I find one will discover all the pieces to most puzzles if they are willing to do two things:

1) put in the time
2) think and be creative.

In blogs, a blogger lays out a well designed step by step story of how something goes but does by nature leave out a lot of the what ifs and nitty gritty that people NEED to be aware of to be truly educated on how to run and maintain a deal. The key here is MAINTAIN. Blogs usually tend to display things that, once they get out there on the front page, get killed off quickly. Some have to be, like, "act now and get the 2500 points because this deal ends next week" but some could last longer if all the players were acting with wisdom instead of just speed.

Hence, a marathon is run by pacing one's self. And unless you are from Kenya or something, it's not done at record breaking speed for most people. You obviously can push to go faster, etc, but you need to learn and maintain your calculated pace.

Airlines and banks and Carteras, etc read these blogs and this forum too. If something is kosher they may not mind it if it is kept in the lower levels of view. But blogs are up top and out front, so all the cameras are on them. So when something hits a blog, it could get killed because those companies now HAVE to find a way to stop this.

So in my opinion, as much as blogs can be very helpful in many ways, they can end gigs because:

1) people may read them and NOT find nor learn the little pieces that you NEED in order to do some deals, and this lack of wisdom makes for choppy action, and that leads to death in many ways.

2) they present deals right out there in front, so it's blaring in the faces of those who made offers, as if to say: hahaha we gotcha!

What do you think those entities will do about that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.