Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

2011 Election Results

2011 Election Results

Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Congrats to the winners & a big Thank You to all who ran.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jinxy
Yes it certainly is a global community...it's just a pity that many members forget this.
Congratulations to the new members, and thank you to those who have spoken up for the global nature of FT. That fact does appear to be overlooked sometimes, so perhaps we will just have to speak up a little louder!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did vote.

However, I found it was difficult because most of the people that I could vote for were either from the US or parts of the site I have never visited. I can imagine this puts people off.

In fact if it wasnt for one of the candidates coming onto BAEC section, to discuss the changes to BA EC I would have forgotten to vote.

I normally visit the hotels IC, Hilton & Marriott. The airlines, BA, VS & CX. Also drop into the English section and BOS as I am looking to go there with family in the next couple of years.

I would like to see more people coming from outside the US. Maybe the committe should reserve a seat for Euro people to help have a voice for us.

However Congratulations to this years winners. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your time and make the changes you want.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by origin
I would like to see more people coming from outside the US. Maybe the committe should reserve a seat for Euro people to help have a voice for us.

However Congratulations to this years winners. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your time and make the changes you want.
I would agree with a minor edit to 'outside North America'. And perhaps some form of recognition of the global nature of FT with a voice for Europe/Australasia/etc. Our voices seem to be drowned out quite often; I am participating in a thread about airport security in the UK which is a great example of that.

I appreciate the nature of the elections and the contributions from Talkboard members, but perhaps there is something which could be done to reflect the diversity which several of us have noted is overlooked at times.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: Too many
Hear hear!! Finally other people speak up also... Was starting to think I was a big whinger in the minority!

Please talk board elected members... There is another world out there apart from the states and not everything that should be covered to include us, is.

I love FT, hence why I chose to be a member here rather than the Aussie version where too much politics put me off participating in normal forum topics.

It may not seem like a big deal to those of you, but spare a thought please.

In the future I think a fair and balanced talk board should have members from all over the world, I truly believe it is fairer and you get a balanced view from different areas.

If by bedfordrocks and myself being the only two Aussie candidates plus others that were not US based, you know there is interest and willingness for us to be included.

I would almost imagine that all the votes for the top 5 especially being high posters from the US were guaranteed to get in even with the low votes polled this year. Americans on an American website wouldn't have voted for international people.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hear hear!! Finally other people speak up also... Was starting to think I was a big whinger in the minority!

Please talk board elected members... There is another world out there apart from the states and not everything that should be covered to include us, is.

I love FT, hence why I chose to be a member here rather than the Aussie version where too much politics put me off participating in normal forum topics.

In the future I think a fair and balanced talk board should have members from all over the world, I truly believe it is fairer and you get a balanced view from different areas.

If by bedfordrocks and myself being the only two Aussie candidates plus others that were not US based, you know there is interest and willingness for us to be included.

I would almost imagine that all the votes for the top 5 especially being high posters from the US were guaranteed to get in even with the low votes polled this year. Americans on an American website wouldn't have voted for international people.
That's not true. I would vote for the people I find to be the best candidates *regardless* of location. If the best 5 candidates are American, I'd vote for them. If the best 5 are from outside the US, I'd vote for them.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I like actual numbers. Let's look at them.

2011 - 1375
2010 - 1852
2009 - 1616
2008 - 2180
2007 - 982
2006 - 2013
2005 - 1080
2004 - 551
2003 - 697

I think 2007 was the year Randy didn't enable avatars. The vote dropped in half, and he became passionate about it going forward.

As for FlyerTalk as a whole, both post counts and pages read are up dramatically compared to last year. I'm not free to post actual numbers, but the board is in very good health.
I like to think the number were up last year because my twin Pat89339 and your truly were running for TB, I did have a great time and learned a lot even none of us won.

Congratulate to winners! ^
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!

FWIW, I am not American and no longer based in the States. For heaven's sake, English is not even my native language. But with due respect, my take on and experience of FT & TB is not the same as yours. You may want to check out this earlier thread on "diversities" on FT. Some interesting discussion there.

Having said that, North America based FTers are indeed the biggest group on FT. Statistically speaking, it only makes perfect sense to feel they are more "visible" or speak louder than the rest of us, because, well, there are more of "them." That doesn't mean other voices are silenced on FT. We are all our own masters to decide how we participate and voice our POVs. FT provides a platform and everyone has equal opportunity. If you want to be heard, you just have to speak up. If there's a good speaker in you, that will definitely help.

As a matter of fact, there were excellent non-American TBers in previous years. It just so happens this year we now get an all American Talkboard. May the best candidates win, the past, the present, and the future.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:55 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
If it's really important to have geographic diversity I am willing to move to London!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
If you need to blame someone for not having North American representation on TB this year, it should be me.

When I was first elected to TB there was a rule that at least one member had to live outside of the US. Although, obviously, this would help me when I ran for re-election, I did not like the rule (and still do not).

It seemed to me a bit ridiculous that we could have 20 candidates for TB, 19 of them could get more votes than me, and I would still be elected because there were no other non-North American residents on TB or running.

I made a motion to eliminate this rule. Five members voted in favor, 3 against, and one abstained. As 6 votes were needed for a motion to pass, it was defeated. Randy, however, favored the idea and abolished the old requirement.

For much of TB's experience, the whole matter has been theoretical. In fact, in my first term, there were 3 non-US/Canada members on TB -- meaning that we actually were over-represented in proportion to foreign membership numbers.

In almost all of the years that TB has existed there have been one or more represenatives from overseas on it.

I firmly believe that the FT membership is cosmpolitan enough to vote for the candidates they prefer without taking nationality into consideration.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 7:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Congrats to all the winners, but esp. non-incumbents goalie, koko and RichMSN each of whom I voted for despite their positions on mods-as-TBers and term limits. Even if their views prevail someday I believe they'll serve the community as capably, thoughtfully and passionately as those already on board. ^
Old Nov 30, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL EZ TG AS
Congrats to all elected. Looking forward to the next two years!!!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by Dovster
If you need to blame someone for not having North American representation on TB this year, it should be me.

When I was first elected to TB there was a rule that at least one member had to live outside of the US. Although, obviously, this would help me when I ran for re-election, I did not like the rule (and still do not).

It seemed to me a bit ridiculous that we could have 20 candidates for TB, 19 of them could get more votes than me, and I would still be elected because there were no other non-North American residents on TB or running.

I made a motion to eliminate this rule. Five members voted in favor, 3 against, and one abstained. As 6 votes were needed for a motion to pass, it was defeated. Randy, however, favored the idea and abolished the old requirement.

For much of TB's experience, the whole matter has been theoretical. In fact, in my first term, there were 3 non-US/Canada members on TB -- meaning that we actually were over-represented in proportion to foreign membership numbers.

In almost all of the years that TB has existed there have been one or more represenatives from overseas on it.

I firmly believe that the FT membership is cosmpolitan enough to vote for the candidates they prefer without taking nationality into consideration.
Really helpful information to know....many thanks for sharing!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Congratulations to all of the winners. It looks like a little bit of a revolution may be coming, and I shall be interested to see how that pans out.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:11 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by kokonutz
If it's really important to have geographic diversity I am willing to move to London!
I don't think so!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.