FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel providers (i.e., airlines) using Twitter
Old May 3, 2009, 12:55 pm
lin821

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Post FT Demographics...

Originally Posted by sbm12
I strongly disbelieve the 35-55 statistic and would love to see actual data on that one. I also don't believe that demographic makes up the bulk of FT, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong there, too.
I like to know the study OP's young friend was citing as well. I really want to find out how they concluded with 35-55 Tweeters.

Without doing any research, I believe Tweeters' demopgraphic is skewed toward the young(er) side. Maybe like those in the teens who can't go on with lives without texting. Hard to make money from teens with the current Twitter model. If my "beliefs" hold up, I can't see too much value in airlines adapting Twitter. Teens don't fly as much as (working) adults.

FTers' demographics are quite skewed with a very different distribution from Tweeters. From the courtesy of BiziBB, FT is overrepresented by 25-34 & 35-44 age groups with higher education credentials. (source: alexa.com's rating of FT).

From Big Boards, Flyer Talk has about 192000 members. See how the number turned red and fell off the chart on 4/10/09 (want to know why? Click here for the rest of the story).

From quantcast, FTers are mostly affluent middle aged (45% in age 35-49) Caucasian (80%) men (60%), with a college (48%) or higher degree (26%) and no kid. Asians (10%) are overrepresented among FTers.

By geographic/country, the top 5 (unique cookies) on FT are:
1. United States (60.97%)
2. United Kingdom (8.94%)
3. Canada (7.21%)
4. Australia (2.89%)
5. Germany (1.85%)

To sum it up, FTers are mainly affluent middle aged white male with higher education and no kid. I am not sure how travel providers can make Twitter appealing to such skewed FT demographics.

Last edited by lin821; May 3, 2009 at 1:29 pm Reason: adding geo link