Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: Creation of a Lounge Subforum in OMNI

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Perfect example of how "omni-ites" are treated as second class citizens around here.
Mary, you are an Omni-ite.

You are also an FT Ambassador, an Evangelist, and have a 17,000+ post count.

It does not seem that you are being treated as a second-class citizen.

Any post you make anywhere except Omni is included in your post count. That is true for me and everyone else on FT, up to and including San Diego1K.

If we are all being treated equally in this, then we are not "second class citizens".
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Dovster
Mary, you are an Omni-ite.

You are also an FT Ambassador, an Evangelist, and have a 17,000+ post count.

It does not seem that you are being treated as a second-class citizen.

Any post you make anywhere except Omni is included in your post count. That is true for me and everyone else on FT, up to and including San Diego1K.

If we are all being treated equally in this, then we are not "second class citizens".
While I post in Omni, when I have something valuable to contribute in other forums, I spend quite a bit of time researching and composing those responses. However, just as you did, because I spend time in FT's living room (Omni), my contributions are not valued nearly as much as somone who does not. As a matter of fact, some consider it a badge of honor to have never posted in Omni.

However, my point all along has been the value of the posts, no matter where on FT. Because Omni has such a terrible reputation on FT the posts, no matter how good or how well researched, have zero value.

The real issue is why some Off topic posts have value and others do not. I'm fine with whatever decision is made as long as it is consistent. Right now, it's not.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:39 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I am against this proposal as it contradicts the reasons of why the Lounge thread concept was developed in the first place.
+1. I agree with Canarsie -- especially in the case of the Luxury Hotels forum the Lounge thread is ripe with information not easily classified within existing threads nor warrant the creation of a separate thread. It is also one of the most read and contributed on the Luxury Hotels forum and was very warmly received by the membership of board.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:43 am

The Lounge threads were created to allow a sense of community to grow within a particular forum and, at the same time, reduce the number of off-topic humorous posts in other threads.

If they are moved out of their home forums they will no longer serve either of these purposes.

They do, obviously, attract a large number of decent people and no one who fits that description would ever go to Omni.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:54 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
They do, obviously, attract a large number of decent people and no one who fits that description would ever go to Omni.
So you're saying I'm not decent?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by kipper
So you're saying I'm not decent?
I certainly hope you aren't!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
The Lounge threads were created to allow a sense of community to grow within a particular forum and, at the same time, reduce the number of off-topic humorous posts in other threads.

If they are moved out of their home forums they will no longer serve either of these purposes.

Pin a link to the top of each forum that redirects to the appropriate OMNI thread. Problem solved.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Leave the Lounges where they are. To say there's off topic posts suggests theres a topic. There is none. The lounges are a gathering of a particular airline's flyers and serve a great purpose for new and old patrons to gather with a specific common interest.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:21 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I certainly hope you aren't!
LOL, but I thought all decent women talked about how much they love handling pistols.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:25 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

The following is from a different thread with a similar topic but it applies here:
Originally Posted by kokonutz
So should this motion fail, my suggestion be to either close the lounge forums and put all off topic discussion in OMNI where all off-topic posts are treated the same
As the Dovster so eloquently said earlier in this thread...
Naaa, been there, done that.
...as evidenced here and here and was part of the impetus of forming the Lounge thread concept in the first place...

...and I was on the receiving end of all of the e-mail messages and private messages expressing vehement protest as a result.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Pin a link to the top of each forum that redirects to the appropriate OMNI thread. Problem solved.
This is probably the best solution to keep access easy for people using the lounge threads and keep the treatment of off-topic posts consistent.

I can't imagine a negative to this scenario.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
THAT is a solution to a problem that never exists. There's never a problem with the placement of lounge threads. We are not in Technical Issues Forum asking how to be "redirected."

Like I had said up thread, the community lounge thread will NOT work in OMNI. The community lounge thread is in CommunityBuzz! Forum for a good reason. We are a community! Any FTer can chime in and mingle with the lounge crowd in FT Community Lounge. The door is open to every FTer, even though not every FTer chooses to stop by. Hey, it's a free forum/society/country. It won't be THE community lounge thread no more if moved to OMNI.

Allow me to repeat myself. The community lounge thread is not about off-topic discussion. Moving it to OMNI is just so wrong:

OMNI
OMNI is the place for vibrant dialogue on topics unrelated to miles, points, and travel. It is fascinating reading and provides quite a bit of humor and entertainment.
(bolding mine)

Can you honestly tell me our current community lounge thread would fit under OMNI with the above forum description?

IMHO, lounge subforum in OMNI is just asking for troubles.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
This is probably the best solution to keep access easy for people using the lounge threads and keep the treatment of off-topic posts consistent.

I can't imagine a negative to this scenario.
Mary, at least on the Delta Forum, the Lounge is the first thread many new members go to. They test the waters, ask some questions, and eventually start posting on the regular threads.

You were among the most fervent advocates for not allowing newbies to post on Omni. If the Lounge threads go there, this very important function of the Lounge threads will be lost.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:02 pm

Funny, there's a thread in Hyatt, where there is no lounge, that says "Welcome Newbies". I don't see how that would not take the place of a lounge thread for people asking Delta related questions.

Off-topic is off-topic is off-topic. They all should be treated exactly the same way.

One of the reasons for locking up Omni is so people actually contribute to FT and get a feel of the community before jumping into the living room. That would also include lounge threads.

And I was a fervent advocate for keeping the trolls out of Omni, not newbies.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by lin821
Allow me to repeat myself. The community lounge thread is not about off-topic discussion. Moving it to OMNI is just so wrong:

Can you honestly tell me our current community lounge thread would fit under OMNI with the above forum description?

IMHO, lounge subforum in OMNI is just asking for troubles.
I respect you and your opinion very much, but I just went into the community lounge thread.... lots of good mornings, good evenings, etc. Nothing about travel or meeting up. Perhaps there was a blurb about going to "x" today.

I don't understand why this exact thread could not exist in Omni. Everyone has to click on community to get to it, why not Omni?

All I'm asking for is consistency in treating all off topic posts the same way. I'm not asking to have your fun place taken away. Honestly.

I saw a post in there comparing this discussion to the Tea Party. Serioiusly? The tea party?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.