Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Moderators Guilty of Premature Evacuation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
This discussion is unique on FlyerTalk in that it allows members who visit the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles forum to publicly comment on the decisions and actions of its moderators even though Rule 18 on FlyerTalk specifically prohibits doing this:

Discussion Of Moderator Actions

Moderators value your private views and feedback related to their actions and duties. You may submit appropriate feedback to moderators by private message or e-mail. Do not post comments about moderator decisions or actions, or about the work of moderators, unless a moderator has invited members to post feedback in a particular thread.

Any concerns about the actions of a moderator should be directed exclusively and privately to the [email protected].
The moderators of the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles have learned a lot from your input through this discussion; and it has also served to resolve issues over the years often in a humorous manner.

Despite the existence of this discussion, the moderators of the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles still request that you first address any questions or concerns pertaining to the decisions and actions of the moderators via private communications before posting them publicly, as most issues can usually be resolved this way. Please use this discussion sparingly and only when necessary.

Thank you.

Regards,

Canarsie, obscure2k and ryandc99
Co-moderators, Delta Air Lines SkyMiles forum
Print Wikipost

Moderators Guilty of Premature Evacuation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2003, 9:05 am

There are 2 extremes to the "what is FT" question. They are (a) database, and (b) community. Most people would agree that the 'answer" is somewhere between these two - it's just a question of discovering (through trial and error) where. I don't think anyone wants a Sheyl-esque database. Equally, no-one wants the first page of posts in a forum to all be variants on two topics.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 2:24 pm

I have read this forum almost daily for months, but post rarely, and believe there are many users like me. I consider myself a member of this "community," yet tend to use it as a "database." Paradox? Well, I never know about big news before anyone, thus lack of posts. If I ever do, I'll share. As for discussion and insight, at this point in my frequent-traveling-career, I can learn much more than I can teach. I am sure I value this forum more than it values me.

But...I would like to offer my opinion on this topic. Multiple threads often separate into discussions w/ slightly different perspectives on the same general topic. These variations can generate deeper and more varied analysis of issues by the community than can a single thread - allowing multiple threads to live or die on their own merits to me fosters diversity...and better insight.

I am currently researching Prague for my summer vacation (thx skyteam & HH). Sure, I read Lonely Planet, Fodors, etc..but I've spent most of my time on Virtualtourist.com, etc, getting multiple perspectives on the same destination.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by krjones24:

But...I would like to offer my opinion on this topic. Multiple threads often separate into discussions w/ slightly different perspectives on the same general topic. These variations can generate deeper and more varied analysis of issues by the community than can a single thread - allowing multiple threads to live or die on their own merits to me fosters diversity...and better insight.

</font>

Exactly true! It is far better to have multiple threads dealing with different aspects of a given issue or topic than it is trying to glean info from a multi-paged thread.

To sum things up, I think that the overwhelming majority of those that have replied to this thread have agreed that the least government is the best government, at least when it comes to the role of moderating the DL board on FT. And most of us who have responded suscribe to the "Darwinian" laws of FT threads, that is the survival of the fittest threads and the extinction of other threads without "divine" interevention by the moderators. Happily, our moderators seem to be quite open-minded about their newly created role on this board.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you know that DL is swapping shuttle aircraft to 737-300's?!?!?
Old Feb 13, 2003, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
Did you know that DL is swapping shuttle aircraft to 737-300's?!?!?</font>

------------------
Vasant
Old Feb 13, 2003, 8:06 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I would tend to agree with the majority here that less government is better but on the other hand sometimes the number of threads on similar ideas do get out of hand - the one that comes to mind are those that relate to the double base miles last summer/fall.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 10:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
My opinion is that we were generally doing quite fine without moderators until the great jimpop debacle of late 2002. At that point, an active moderator could have effectively diffused that situation in a hurry, to everyone's benefit. Sure, there were occasional times when threads drifted, or people got a little crabby with each other, or topics were a bit redundant -- but in general, this board really did well on its own, without moderators. Until the jimpop thing exploded.

So, I think we need moderators. However, I agree with others who think that these moderators need only intervene in the most inflammatory or flagrant circumstances. And, I'm not sure -- given the track record of civility on this board -- that the frequency of intervention needed requires four moderators.

So, even if a thread is redundant, or off topic, or perhaps in the wrong airline forum, I don't think we need to have the moderators locking it or intervening. It would be easier on the moderators, and I don't think it would spoil the experiences for others just to relax and lay off the enforcement activity.

It's just my opinion, but the bottom line is that if "it ain't broke, don't fix it." And, with the rare jimpopian exception, it was never broken.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 10:56 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I am amazed how this topic has spilled over into forums as diverse as TravelBuzz and Suggestions!
Old Feb 13, 2003, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by krjones24:
Multiple threads often separate into discussions w/ slightly different perspectives on the same general topic. These variations can generate deeper and more varied analysis of issues by the community than can a single thread - allowing multiple threads to live or die on their own merits to me fosters diversity...and better insight.

</font>
I agree wholeheartedly with this point and offer the following example. There are at least 6 identical posts, each in a different airline forum, entitled "DL FT'rs Need Your Help! Is ---- Next?" where ---- is the name of the airline in whose forum this was posted.

What is remarkable to me is how different each of the threads turned out to be in the different airline forums. That is, people responded to an identical post had very different perspectives depending on the airline they fly the most.

Fortunately, there was no moderator who closed down any of the threads, even though the initial post was identical in each case.

Old Feb 14, 2003, 8:44 am

The following is to the tune of the early 1970s song Operator, with apologies to the late Jim Croce:

Moderator, well could you please not lock this thread
Unless you find the subject matter to be degrading
The area is still gray
As to whether things should be done your way
That is a topic still worth debating

(CHORUS)
But isn't that the way they say the forum goes
So let's forget all that
And please don't lock threads, if you don't mind
So I can browse until I find what I'm looking for
We should go with the flow
We've learned to peruse the posts well
I only wish the search engine was better still
But for now leave the threads be
Even though they're not the way they read

Moderator, well could you help clean up this thread
Cause I can't read all the posts that are in here
There's too many that are off-topic
You know it happens all the time
Frequent-flyer devaluation is what we fear

(REPEAT CHORUS)
No, no, no, no, they're not the way they read

Moderator, let's forget about this thread
There's nothing here I really wanted to discuss
Thank you for doing your most
For trying to be a gracious host
You can delete this post...

(REPEAT CHORUS)
Old Feb 14, 2003, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Canarsie, you have missed your calling in life.

Will you like to join our chorus in front of the DL shareholder's meeting at the Plaza Hotel?
Old Feb 14, 2003, 9:22 am

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
Boards by their nature are freewheeling, attempts to control the content tend to stifle creativity and the vastly different viewpoints of posters. Moderators should let things run "as is" unless it's something clearly causing trouble, as someone already noted the threads that are of no interest will die quickly anyway
Old Feb 14, 2003, 9:42 am

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
Congratulations Carnasie. Another truly masterful piece. I hesitated to get involved in this thread, but i just could not fail to provide the most positive feedback for your inventive, humorous and intelligent post. You made my day.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Canarsie, please drop me a line if you're ever in New York. If you're as entertaining in person as you are in your posts, I'll happily buy you drinks and dinner!

------------------
Vasant
Old Feb 14, 2003, 1:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
Canarsie, you have missed your calling in life.

Will you like to join our chorus in front of the DL shareholder's meeting at the Plaza Hotel?
</font>
Thank you, Rssrsvp. Believe it or not, it just all came to me while I was sitting in coach (did not make the upgrade this time, darn it!) on my return flight home last night. Unfortunately, there is a lot more of that humor from where that came.

As far as joining in the chorus: not the way I sing. Let's just say there is a reason I did not try out for American Idle (intentionally misspelled).

Wait a minute - if I sing loud enough, that may torture the stockholders at the annual stockholders' meeting and force Delta to re-consider their recent policy changes right there on the spot. On the other hand, it may also force my fellow FlyerTalkers to run for their lives while covering their ears. The conundrum I face here....

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yknot:
Congratulations Carnasie. Another truly masterful piece. I hesitated to get involved in this thread, but i just could not fail to provide the most positive feedback for your inventive, humorous and intelligent post. You made my day.</font>
I really do appreciate that, yknot. My pleasure. I like to make a person's day if I can. But, as far as the inventive humor in this thread goes, it's all RobertS975's fault! He started it! Nyah nyah! So there!!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vasantn:
Canarsie, please drop me a line if you're ever in New York. If you're as entertaining in person as you are in your posts, I'll happily buy you drinks and dinner!</font>
vasant, I truly appreciate the offer. By the way, if you live in New York City, my FlyerTalk name should give you a clue as to where I am from originally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.