Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Moderators Guilty of Premature Evacuation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
This discussion is unique on FlyerTalk in that it allows members who visit the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles forum to publicly comment on the decisions and actions of its moderators even though Rule 18 on FlyerTalk specifically prohibits doing this:

Discussion Of Moderator Actions

Moderators value your private views and feedback related to their actions and duties. You may submit appropriate feedback to moderators by private message or e-mail. Do not post comments about moderator decisions or actions, or about the work of moderators, unless a moderator has invited members to post feedback in a particular thread.

Any concerns about the actions of a moderator should be directed exclusively and privately to the [email protected].
The moderators of the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles have learned a lot from your input through this discussion; and it has also served to resolve issues over the years often in a humorous manner.

Despite the existence of this discussion, the moderators of the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles still request that you first address any questions or concerns pertaining to the decisions and actions of the moderators via private communications before posting them publicly, as most issues can usually be resolved this way. Please use this discussion sparingly and only when necessary.

Thank you.

Regards,

Canarsie, obscure2k and ryandc99
Co-moderators, Delta Air Lines SkyMiles forum
Print Wikipost

Moderators Guilty of Premature Evacuation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:30 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by davetravels
Yes, I realize now, that my <supposedly fun> title, perhaps wasn't as original as it could have been.

That said, I never doubt the fairness of you guyz. If anything, you're very liberal as to what you allow us to post most of the time. Thanx again for your consideration.

DT
Not a problem, as serving FlyerTalk members is our job and your holiday wish has been granted.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Not a problem, as serving FlyerTalk members is our job and your holiday wish has been granted.
I am in PeachTree City right now and will be for the next several days. Can you get your fellow Georgian mod to grant my wish vis-a-vis her sexy sister-in-law?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
I am in PeachTree City right now and will be for the next several days. Can you get your fellow Georgian mod to grant my wish vis-a-vis her sexy sister-in-law?
Both of you have e-mail messages awaiting you...
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:21 pm

Maybe it has been discussed somewhere in the 104 pages of this thread but.... In the world of forums a thread like this typically is considered inappropriate. Any site I've ever owned or worked on would have deleted this thread. There is typically little tolerance for calling out site staff. The fact that this thread still exists should say something about the people that work this site. They are extremely tolerant and very forgiving. I don't know how they do it quite honestly. I mean no disrespect to the OP and anyone else that has replied. I am simply stating my experience in the forum world going back a very long time. Then again there is probably a huge difference working with aviation enthusiasts compared to gamers & fan girls.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:35 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Indy
Maybe it has been discussed somewhere in the 104 pages of this thread but....
Although I'm not really on top of most of this thread, I HAVE seen this mentioned before - more than once.

. . . . compared to gamers & fan girls.
What's a"Fan Girl"???
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:41 pm

Maybe it has been discussed somewhere in the 104 pages of this thread but.... In the world of forums a thread like this typically is considered inappropriate. Any site I've ever owned or worked on would have deleted this thread. There is typically little tolerance for calling out site staff. The fact that this thread still exists should say something about the people that work this site. They are extremely tolerant and very forgiving. I don't know how they do it quite honestly. I mean no disrespect to the OP and anyone else that has replied. I am simply stating my experience in the forum world going back a very long time. Then again there is probably a huge difference working with aviation enthusiasts compared to gamers & fan girls.
I will tell you why — at least from my point of view...

...I have learned more about how to moderate forums on FlyerTalk than any other method primarily because of this discussion and other forms of honest input from fellow FlyerTalk members — and I believe the way I moderate forums on FlyerTalk is more effective as a result.

Besides, I believe in being transparent about my style of moderation, as it seems to encourage trust that I am trying to do what is best for the majority of FlyerTalk members whom I serve. I attempt to serve all FlyerTalk members as best as possible — but even I know that one cannot please everybody.

I have no problem with criticism with how I moderate on FlyerTalk — as long as that feedback is constructive.

FlyerTalk has morphed from an Internet web site pertaining to the earning and redemption of frequent flier loyalty program miles and points into a community over the years. To many — including myself — FlyerTalk is more than “just another Internet web site.” Part of my job as a volunteer moderator is to help keep FlyerTalk a place that encourages the spirit of community; as well as encourages the contributions of valuable information and insight pertaining to miles, points and travel.

There were moments in the past where the closing of this discussion was a possibility. I personally have vehemently fought against that each and every time — and I am quite fortunate to work with fellow moderators who feel similarly to what I believe.

It is a testament to members of FlyerTalk who frequent the Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum that despite this discussion remaining open to all for greater than ten years, it has relatively seldom been used.

This discussion seems to have continually served its purpose. It has worked quite well — and one cannot argue with success.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:29 pm

What's a"Fan Girl"???
I ran a site for the hosts of a TV show. Probably 90% of the members were female. Maybe the correct word was "fangirl" instead of "fan girl". But in any case...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=fan%20girl

They would run you over if you weren't careful. :-)
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Indy, I am the OP, and I certainly take no offense. This thread was begun over 10 years ago because of specific issues. You may go back a long time, but the DL forum on FT was one of the last to be moderated. The issues for which this thread continues to be used have changed over the years, but it still presents a nice outlet for civil discussion of issues dealing with moderators and moderation. Besides, I have been told by many that they find the thread title to be most amusing.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:30 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by RobertS975
I have been told by many that they find the thread title to be most amusing.
Yes, it certainly makes you do a double take!!

Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

Isn't that a triple take?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:03 am
Original Poster

OK, here is an issue which I would like to discuss. Recently, I started a thread about the change in the medallion expiration date from March 1st to Feb 1st starting in Feb 2016. Before starting that thread, I did a search for " medallion expiration date" and that proved useless because there are a gazillion posts dealing with medallions. The thread had a half dozen thoughtful posts, and one from a FT do-gooder that mentioned that this news had been posted in the Skymiles changes thread, which is already a mega-thread.

Here is my question, and I guess my complaint... what is wrong with a separate discussion thread about a particular aspect of a larger subject? Members who wish to put the microscope to a particular issue should not have to search through a mega-thread to keep that discussion going. Moderators that bury sub-topic thread into a mega-thread just promote the overall din... the Skymiles changes run the gamut from SWU changes, PM demotions, trans-con upgrades being kaput etc. There should be nothing wrong with sub-topic threads as long as they stay on topic.

I give this specific example, but it is the greater principle which merits some discussion, IMO. It goes back to my overall mindset stated so many years ago in this thread... "the moderators that moderate the best moderate the least!"
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Here is my question, and I guess my complaint... what is wrong with a separate discussion thread about a particular aspect of a larger subject?
Nothing, really.

However, cases like that often depend on what fellow FlyerTalk members report to us — and we are left to decide what to do. Usually, if a discussion is not reported to us, we do not moderate — simple as that.

As far as something being “buried” in a discussion, ideally I would want to see a direct link to it from a WikiPost in that same discussion for easy access — but then anyone can do that.

Speaking for myself, my goal is to help ensure that the experience of using FlyerTalk is as easy, efficient and informative to as many FlyerTalk members as possible. If i perform an official action as a moderator and a FlyerTalk member gives me a good reason to reverse it, I usually do.

Unfortunately, not everyone agrees with every moderator action taken — even if that action means no action — and I try to use my judgment in determining what to do and when.

Of course, if you have any thoughts or ideas on what you believe would improve how the Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum is moderated, by all means us know — but please realize not everyone will agree with your thoughts and ideas.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Sorry to sound like 'brown-noser but IMO the mods here do a very admirable job!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
A double take of a double entendre ?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Nothing, really.

However, cases like that often depend on what fellow FlyerTalk members report to us — and we are left to decide what to do. Usually, if a discussion is not reported to us, we do not moderate — simple as that.

As far as something being “buried” in a discussion, ideally I would want to see a direct link to it from a WikiPost in that same discussion for easy access — but then anyone can do that.

Speaking for myself, my goal is to help ensure that the experience of using FlyerTalk is as easy, efficient and informative to as many FlyerTalk members as possible. If i perform an official action as a moderator and a FlyerTalk member gives me a good reason to reverse it, I usually do.

Unfortunately, not everyone agrees with every moderator action taken — even if that action means no action — and I try to use my judgment in determining what to do and when.

Of course, if you have any thoughts or ideas on what you believe would improve how the Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum is moderated, by all means us know — but please realize not everyone will agree with your thoughts and ideas.
So in this particular case that I allude to, a thread was started to discuss in a more linear fashion the upcoming changes in medallion expiration dates two years from now. The fact that there had been mention of the new medallion expiration dates in the Skymiles Changes for 2014 mega-thread should not have caused the closing of the sub-topic and merger into the less specific but more comprehensive mega-thread. Once submerged into the larger thread, the discussion that focuses on this particular aspect of the SM changes must now be interspersed with the many other discussions such as new SWU rules, new transcon upgrade policies etc.

I have no issue with mega-threads, and there are certainly times when a new thread deserves to be moved to a mega-thread, such as a question about whether "this connection at JFK is feasible" etc. Obviously, one of the self-appointed deputies must have reported this particular sub-topic thread as redundant, and to a certain degree it was, but these micro-topic threads that attempt to narrow the focus of a discussion to a single issue or aspect have their value. For one thing, they are smaller, and it easier to find info in a more specific thread than a mega-thread.

There is obviously a lot of "noise" on the board, but as much as possible, threads should be allowed to live or die on their own. If nobody contributes to a given thread, it will drop out of sight (the first few pages) soon enough.

Carnarsie, thank you for your thoughtful reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.