Search

Suggestion: Creation of a Lounge Subforum in OMNI

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Suggestion: Creation of a Lounge Subforum in OMNI

While TB can't direct the moderators to act, they are able to create new forums as they see fit to further the mission of FT. I believe a Lounge subforum in OMNI, where moderators, if they saw fit, could move existing and new lounge threads, would reflect the current view of the TB that off-topic posts should not count towards a poster's post count.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I fully support this.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:41 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
While this sounds interesting, I'd wonder at its feasibility. The pull of the lounge threads is that you can have OMNI within each forum. If you move the lounge threads to a central location, then you kind of remove its reason for being. (Otherwise everyone could just go to OMNI today to have their "lounge" discussions.)

I guess it might be possible to put a "sticky" post in each forum with a link to the lounge thread in OMNI. But even that will add "extra" steps to those wanting to visit those threads. And if OMNI has any "posting" restrictions, there may be some who can read the lounge thread today, but not if it were moved.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
OMNI is a big fluffy lounge all by itself already, why creating a lounge subforum?

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
I believe a Lounge subforum in OMNI, where moderators, if they saw fit, could move existing and new lounge threads, would reflect the current view of the TB that off-topic posts should not count towards a poster's post count.
How to NOT count posts is a very separate and different issue from where lounge threads should reside. I am totally against this faulty line of logic.

Allow me to borrow the analogy that lounge threads are just like bars. Everyone has their own favorite local bars. You go to a specific bar for an army of reasons. It can be the cute bartenders, the music they play, the crowd, cheap liquor, and/or that particular regular you happen to have a crush for . Why can't I go to my fav bar on the 6th Street now? Why the establishments have to move to OMNI Avenue when the owners see no reason to leave?

Last edited by lin821; Aug 6, 2011 at 10:18 pm Reason: missing a word "to"
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by lin821
Allow me to borrow the analogy that lounge threads are just like bars. Everyone has their own favorite local bars. You go to a specific bar for an army of reasons. It can be the cute bartenders, the music they play, the crowd, cheap liquor, and/or that particular regular you happen to have a crush for. Why can't I go my fav bar on the 6th Street now? Why the establishments have to move to OMNI Avenue when the owners see no reason to leave?
Because going to a lounge in a miles and points forum is contrary to the core mission of this site and therefore, should have no meaning or value to the community.

It's starting to appear that there are big double standards for off-topic posts in this community.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Because going to a lounge in a miles and points forum is contrary to the core mission of this site and therefore, should have no meaning or value to the community.

It's starting to appear that there are big double standards for off-topic posts in this community.
That's exactly it. It's a huge double standard between OMNI and the lounge threads and how off-topic posts are treated. In the lounge threads, off-topic posts add to one's post count, but posts there generally lend nothing to the core mission of FT.

OMNI is considered off-topic (which it is) as it generally does not lend much to the core mission of FT, yet posts there do not count.

The arguments for lounge threads are, "But they add to the community," and similar threads. OMNI adds to the community too, as it's a place for people to vent, seek advice, comment on current events, etc. Why are posts there not counted but posts in lounge threads counted?

The arguments for not counting posts in OMNI include the, "But the counting games, waste of time threads, etc." Anyone could start a counting game or some sort of waste of time vein in the lounge forums, and their posts would count, whereas the same post in OMNI would not.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I come to this with an entirely open mind. It would be useful (to me at least) if we could perhaps rewind slightly and seek clarification from members who frequent forums that host established lounge threads so that we can harvest their views on the purpose of the respective lounge threads and highlight the virtues these specific threads currently offer members.

Would the suggested sub forum come with similar OMNI/OMNI PR access restrictions? If so, does this restriction conflict with the purpose of the established lounge threads?

Another question to those that contribute to lounge threads - is the sustainability of the lounge thread dependent on its proximity to the forum it is currently attached to? In other words, if the lounge threads are relocated to a remote sub-forum are they likely to prosper or wither?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
I guess this topic really depends on the TB decision of whether OMNI posts will count. If they vote for OMNI posts to count, this whole thread is moot. If they vote it down and OMNI posts do not count, then there is something worth discussing. To me it would then become a question what is more important: (a) of a potential double standard to post counts or (b) Lounge threads being a vital part of FT and remain as they are.

The step after would be to decide how useful displaying post counts really is. Perhaps TB can eventually consider to have them not displayed (rather have them just shown on the posters statistics page) at all?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:52 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
With all this Post Count Angst, why do we even keep this feature?

As a forum specific frequenter and a former moderator, I think the lounge threads, meet up threads, and other type threads in each particular forum serve a purpose that add value to Flyertalk.

While visiting my favorite forums, I enjoy seeing and discussing with forum regulars all things including where we will be to meet up along our travels. I would not visit such a thread in Omni.

As a former moderator of a vibrant forum once known for its frequent off topic hijacking of almost each and every thread (Air Canada, if you were wondering), I think the lounge threads provide an avenue to release steam without clogging up and distracting the other threads.

Just as moderation and ambassadors have created re-visitation habits that keep FT's faithful and knowledgeable membership close and loyal, and less likely to drift away, so have the lounge forums. The emotional attachment that these threads (and the whole Omni forum for that matter) provide keep a good section of the membership, and their knowledge close by, and loyal.

Flyertalk and the TB should be looking at more avenues to create loyalty, emotional ties with its members, and encourage frequent visits if you ask me. It all makes for a vibrant community and keeps our knowledge base healthy.

....and now the cry from Omni-ites that because my meetup posts count, it's a double standard. Frankly, I don't care if my posts count. But take away the tools and the way I use this media, socially, and I have very little reason to frequent FT. It seems like post count is so important to others' that they don't care who they upset... in the name of fairness.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
....and now the cry from Omni-ites that because my meetup posts count, it's a double standard. Frankly, I don't care if my posts count. But take away the tools and the way I use this media, socially, and I have very little reason to frequent FT. It seems like post count is so important to others' that they don't care who they upset... in the name of fairness.
Perfect example of how "omni-ites" are treated as second class citizens around here.

However, the issue is the value of the off-topic post, not whether or not they count. I'm all for removing all post counts and titles.

But as long as they exist, and the TB has said the Omni should be treated like the rest of FT when discussing the images issue, there IS a double standard if posts there do not count.

Your "good morning" post in a lounge thread has a value of 1, while my explanation of how to plant a flower in Omni has a value of zero.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 2:56 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Perfect example of how "omni-ites" are treated as second class citizens around here.

However, the issue is the value of the off-topic post, not whether or not they count. I'm all for removing all post counts and titles.

But as long as they exist, and the TB has said the Omni should be treated like the rest of FT when discussing the images issue, there IS a double standard if posts there do not count.

Your "good morning" post in a lounge thread has a value of 1, while my explanation of how to plant a flower in Omni has a value of zero.
We agree again. To me, the how to plant a flower has more value than a good morning post in a lounge thread. I can gain something from the how to plant a flower thread.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Prospero
I come to this with an entirely open mind. It would be useful (to me at least) if we could perhaps rewind slightly and seek clarification from members who frequent forums that host established lounge threads so that we can harvest their views on the purpose of the respective lounge threads and highlight the virtues these specific threads currently offer members.
Great idea! ^

Being a non-participant in lounge threads, you see no meaning or value to the community in them. Have you really given a thought about jackal's prior replies to you w/r/t your personal take on lounge threads?

Originally Posted by jackal
I'd suggest looking at a couple of different lounge threads.

One I follow is often (though less so these days) what you say. The other two I follow are very much not as you say. One in particular has definitely helped to foster a sense of community--I've met over half of the regular partipants in that one, learned about construction of a new Yogurtland at my local airport, found and bought airline memorabilia and logo swag at huge discounts, converted people to In-N-Out's secret menu, bought vodka for missydarlin, learned about ADS-B (a new replacement for radar-based aircraft positioning), learned about new 3D TV technology, and found a $29 cruise...and that's only four pages. In that thread, I've never seen a post that was simply "Good morning."
Originally Posted by jackal
...the CO Box ...

The culture there is definitely different from the DL and AS lounges that I'm used to, but it's still fun and educational.

As to your other statement about lounges being moved to OMNI: I see your point, but I don't know that they would function in the same manner there. They certainly would not have naturally sprung up there. The lounges in the individual airline forums began somewhat organically and feel like a natural fit. Herding the cattle all the way over to OMNI and making the lounges harder to find could have the effect of dropping participation in the lounges as they become less visible and/or more difficult to access.
I don't do CO Box but I am in Community Lounge thread. I can only speak for the Community Lounge thread that I know. First of all, we have guidelines and rules set by forum MODs. Multiquotes reinforced and no post padding.

I don't know how such thread can still be the community lounge thread if disjointed from CommunityBuzz! Forum and moved to OMNI. The good m/a/e (Morning/Afternoon/Evening) is actually a coded term to signify the international nature of FT community. While I am typing up this thread at 6 o'clock am TPE time, our fellow American FTers are enjoying their afternoon and evening hours. It always brings a smile to my face when I greet the community lounge with good m/a/e. That reminds me how the term was from and coined, and how international FTers are.

Here's what I know about the Community Lounge thread:
1. countless DOs have happened: big and small; past, present and even in the future;
2. the routing advices cross alliances (to attend the DOs and others);
3. the accommodation suggestions for different hotel chains (for the DOs or others);
4. status match headsup and tips;
5. cooking tips, ethnic foods, and dining suggestions;
6. excitement to share and enrichment from learning about different countries, cultures and languages from fellow lounge participants;
7. close friendship formed with open invitationd to be house guests.

Without this community lounge thread, I don't think any of the above would happen that smoothly nor naturally. If you still insist all these have no meaning or value or off-topic to the community, then I don't know what else I can tell you.

If you have issues with certain lounge thread/s that contain meaningless and/or OT posts, I think you can either excise RBPs or contact forum mods. No need to spread the blame to all lounge threads.

... my explanation of how to plant a flower in Omni has a value of zero.
Mary, I love your rose thread. Why do you think your thread/posts has zero value?

I think we all know by heart value of a post doesn't come from post count counter. I recently read quite a few threads/posts from a few specific FTers, some newbies and some oldtimers. These small group of people show a consistent tendency to ask basic questions over and over again by starting new threads. Even after their threads have been shortly closed, relocated, or redirected by forum mods, their posting patterns don't change. And those basic questions had been answered thousands, if not millions times before. Some start say 7 new threads to ask their steamline of questions that could have been addressed fully in one single thread. Some of them have post counts in lower 4 digits, while some trigger the post counter by a few dozen times.

Are they annoying? YES!
Do I think their say 56 or 1234 posts have value to the community? Honestly, NO.

Neither you and I are the gaming type. Why allow yourself beaten by this sort of number game?

Last edited by lin821; Jul 27, 2011 at 9:48 pm Reason: fix typos
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
As a forum specific frequenter and a former moderator, I think the lounge threads, meet up threads, and other type threads in each particular forum serve a purpose that add value to Flyertalk.

While visiting my favorite forums, I enjoy seeing and discussing with forum regulars all things including where we will be to meet up along our travels. I would not visit such a thread in Omni.
Agree. These threads do serve a purpose and IMHO should be left where they are.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Seeing as the Lounges threads stay where it is I say just keep it... Acknowledge that there is a double standard and fix it by allowing Omni to count.. Then we don't have to blame the Mods and TB won't have to throw it back at the Mods saying its their duty to enforce the rules..
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:02 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I am against this proposal as it contradicts the reasons of why the Lounge thread concept was developed in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.