Wiki Posts
Search

Access to Swiss First Class Lounge in Zürich ZRH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by sophialite

Even if it's like a once in life time award trip the ticket fees are still at least CHF 500. If you can afford that but not your next meal, manage your money better??
Your premise is crude.

It's not a matter of what folk can afford: it's a matter of what the wonderful irrationality of humans leads us to want.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by chris63

Sure but the OP has been travelling all day, BKK-ZRH is a daytime flight, the thought of exiting ZRH & travelling back & forth into Zurich within 12 hrs, wouldn’t appeal to me, Dinner in FCL & then the Radisson would be my preference & the food ex BKK is usually awful so a decent meal would be a requirement
Well the reason I think Zurich is unique in this regard is that the city is so close to the airport. It's not like landing at Heathrow where you would spend at least 45 minutes in a car getting to Central London for a decent meal and sleep at a nice hotel.

On deeper thought, if I didn't have FCL access for the flight next morning I'd be inclined to do dinner in the FCL the night before. Probably still wouldn't stay at the airport hotel though.
cbourl likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.

Well the reason I think Zurich is unique in this regard is that the city is so close to the airport. It's not like landing at Heathrow where you would spend at least 45 minutes in a car getting to Central London for a decent meal and sleep at a nice hotel.

On deeper thought, if I didn't have FCL access for the flight next morning I'd be inclined to do dinner in the FCL the night before. Probably still wouldn't stay at the airport hotel though.
True, however the thought of more public transport after that long day would put me off.

The Radisson is sooooo convenient
cbourl likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by chris63

True, however the thought of more public transport after that long day would put me off.

The Radisson is sooooo convenient
Just have a driver or uber pick you up? It can be pretty seamless if you're willing to spend a little cash.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Your premise is crude.

It's not a matter of what folk can afford: it's a matter of what the wonderful irrationality of humans leads us to want.
Absolutely, we’re all different & wouldn’t the World be a boring place if that wasn’t the case
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just have a driver or uber pick you up? It can be pretty seamless if you're willing to spend a little cash.
No thanks , I don’t like Taxis anywhere, not a question of cash 💰 the Radisson is just fantastic on a 12 hour layover, overnight
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Having to organize an (unnecessary) ride does not sound too tempting.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber

Having to organize an (unnecessary) ride does not sound too tempting.
You make it sound like organizing a ride from an airport to a city is some sort of ordeal. It's actually pretty easy because of this thing called Uber.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:45 am

You make it sound like organizing a ride from an airport to a city is some sort of ordeal. It's actually pretty easy because of this thing called Uber.
Easier than a walk „across the street“? I am not convinced.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:47 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I actually like having dinner at the FCL after my arrival. It‘s just convenient. While I get that there may be better places to eat than the FCL, it still is pretty good, I really like the Tartar and the grilled tuna they had.
Afterwards I usually take the train home as I don‘t fancy having to go out or cook myself. And while I get that taking a car ride or a train ride in a foreign country might be stressful, it‘s totally worth it, especially with such a great train system as in Switzerland. It’s an experience!I n my opinion traveling, even if its for business is more about the experience than ultimate convenience (This obviously is different for everybody, and I see that you might not think that way if you have to fly every week.)
And yes, taking the train with more than two bags might not be optimal (usually when I travel with my parents that is the case) in which case a driver or uber it is. But I understand the urge to make life as easy as possible at a foreign airport, although you are missing out on many things that way. I remember when I and Yuropflyer met up with a fellow flyertalker sushimaru and had some dinner at a restaurant near the airport while he was on a layover. Was great fun which lead me to the creation of the Swiss Meetup thread, which sadly hasn‘t seen too much use yet hinthint

As for tasty food, I‘d like to point out that good food doesn‘t necessarily cost much as one would guess from reading this topic. Many of the greatest meals I had were either home made or at some rather obscure place far far away and usually not in some high class fancy restaurant. I still dream of the Indian fish I had in a hotel restaurant in Pipa (near Natal in brazil) or the amazing pancakes I had in Belek (near Antalya in Turkey).

Last edited by Nick Art; Aug 8, 2019 at 1:54 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:50 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by worldclubber

Easier than a walk „across the street“? I am not convinced.
I‘d argue that stepping into an uber and then from that uber into any other hotel is just as easy. (and might even require less steps!)

(The process of ordering the uber is compensated by searching for the radisson hotel entrance.)
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Nick Art

I‘d argue that stepping into an uber and then from that uber into any other hotel is just as easy. (and might even require less steps!)

(The process of ordering the uber is compensated by searching for the radisson hotel entrance.)
the entrance is very well posted - stop staring at your phone
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Art

Exactly. Also it's an airport hotel. Would rather stay at Bauer Au Lac or the Widder.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Art;31394873[left

(The process of ordering the uber is compensated by searching for the radisson hotel entrance.)[/left]
If you have been to the Radisson before, it is actually not that much of a search.

Really depends on the situation, I guess. If it is a once in a lifetime chance to visit Zurich, I would go into town, no questions asked.

But in my case, just a few years ago, right after the new lounges in E had opened, I had to fly to ZRH every other week and most weeks also had to take the train from Zurich to Basel and back at least once. Now, on a 12 hour layover at ZRH, which I try to avoid, the urge to go into town is very very small, unless for visiting friends. Priorities are food, drink and sleep.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:37 pm

Exactly. Also it's an airport hotel.
Which means that it is close to the airport, just what I need. Excellent.
chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.