Wiki Posts
Search

SWISS / Edelweiss New routes and changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
per airline route. details on the new KIX/IAD routes
Swiss International Air Lines on Wednesday (07AUG19) opened reservation for 2 long-haul destinations, announced by the airline earlier this month. The airline will resume service to Osaka and Washington Dulles, from March 2020.

Zurich – Osaka Kansai eff 01MAR20 5 weekly A340-300 (schedule below from 29MAR20)
LX162 ZRH1300 – 0750+1KIX 343 x24
LX163 KIX1005 – 1545ZRH 343 x35

Osaka Kansai previously served by Swissair until October 2001.

Zurich – Washington Dulles eff 29MAR20 1 daily A330-300
LX070 ZRH1345 – 1700IAD 333 D
LX071 IAD2035 – 1040+1ZRH 333 D

Swiss previously served Washington Dulles until October 2003.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:28 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Swissair used to fly to KIX.
Now we only need Manila(LX), Kuala Lumpur, Jakkarta, Tapei, Seoul, Calcutta, Madras, Karachi(LX), Almaty,
Baku, Yerevan, Tbilisi, Teheran(LX), Riyadh(LX), Jeddah(LX), Abu Dhabi(LX), Bahrein, Kuwait, Dhahran, Damascus, Beirut, Amman,
Adis Abeba, Khartum, Harare, Kinshasa, Mombasa, Brazzaville, Libreville(LX), Malabo (LX), Yaoundé(LX), Doula(LX), Lagos(LX), Accra(LX), Abidjan, Bamako, Monrovia, Banjul, Dakar, Casablanca, Oran, Algiers, Tunis, Tripoli(LX), Benghazi(LX),
Santiago (LX), Caracas, Montevideo,
Bangor, Toronto (LX), Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Anchorage, Denver, Seattle(?), Puerto Plata and Ciego de Avilla.(note the lack of Mexico City!) and we might live up to the former Swissair days. Those destinations are not including European ones, of which there are also quite a few not served by LX anymore.

I didn‘t include Buenos Aires (LX), Rio de Janeiro, Malé, Ho Chi Minh City, Phuket, Mauritius, Cape Town, Cancun, Punta Cana, Varadero, Vancouver and Calgary as Edelweiss is serving those now. Funny how all of those were former Swissair destinations.

(LX) = also served by LX for some time.
cad-spe and vantage03 like this.

Last edited by Nick Art; Aug 8, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: LH HON**
If slots are usually attributed on an equal basis between JP/Foreign carriers (of each point pair country, as per post #68 ) and LX now reopen KIX on the back of Swissair flights up to 2001, could SN then open a JP destination using a Sabena 2000 slot...?

Today ANA flies direct NRT-BRU, but no Western airline is running a direct BE-JP service.

I would have thought that slots or rights simply expire when not used for so long.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Yes, let’s Re-create the former SR network. Destinations they should re-open first are Damascus, Benghazi and Bangor.

The network planners in FRA will love this, as a consequence the board will order 10 A380s, as they can fill them and get them at a discount from Airbus.

And SR/LX will die à second time.
airoli likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LX is part of the J++ cartel that LH did with NH a few years ago. So bilaterals shouldn't be an issue.

This joint venture between Lufthansa and ANA, Japan’s largest airline, was launched in early 2012. Austrian Airlines and SWISS joined the strategic joint venture in April 2013. The cooperation covers all 196 weekly flights on 11 of the participating airlines’ routes between Japan and Europe
https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/co...-ventures.html
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Yes, let’s Re-create the former SR network. Destinations they should re-open first are Damascus, Benghazi and Bangor.

The network planners in FRA will love this, as a consequence the board will order 10 A380s, as they can fill them and get them at a discount from Airbus.

Maybe use one of these A380 on GVA-ZRH-ATH-KHI-BOM-BKK-MNL? There must be demand as such routes were successfully flown in the 1980s albeit with a DC10 then...
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:19 am

We should also consider Zurich – Geneva – Douala – Brazzaville – Douala – Zurich.

And make sure LX re-opens Basel-Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden (flown by Crossair) and Zurich-Friedrichshafen (also from the Crossair days).

For some more route suggestions: https://airlineroutes.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/sr-s72/ and https://airlineroutes.wordpress.com/.../28/sr-94intl/

Seriously: sure, there are blank spots on the map. We all can think of some and some of us have our "pet" destinations. But then I must say that for a "small" airline like LX from a small country like Switzerland their intercontinental network isn't half bad, and the fact that it's typically daily nonstop services instead of 2 times a week with 5 stops in the bush is also preferable. I am happy to fly non-stop every day to BKK on an LX 77W and then connect to MNL, rather than flying Tuesdays only with stops in Athens, Karachi, Mumbai and Bankgok. Longer travel time, shorter legs, no thanks. With the exception of KLM I cannot think of another airline from a country that small that has such an impressive intercontinental network (city states like HKG and SIN excepted, but even with them it would be worthwhile checking whether they serve all continents with so many flights).

We all miss Swissair, but I don't think we are that badly served by LX. And those glorious things that we miss from the SR days, who knows if they'd survived until 2019 even if the company had continued to exist.

EDIT: of course there are small country airlines with an impressive network. Qatar, Emirates, Etihad... Oh well.
benji2227 and Gioventu like this.

Last edited by San Gottardo; Aug 9, 2019 at 4:02 am
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:07 am

Destinations beyond 5 hour flying time form hub, including subsidiaries (EDW, Scoot, Dragon):

Swiss: 23 LX and 21 WK
Singapore Airlines: 29 SQ and 10 TR
Cathay Pacific: 35 CX and
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
We all miss Swissair, but I don't think we are that badly served by LX.
You can find it, even in August 2019! For example, on arrival in Kiev
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Now we only need Manila(LX), Kuala Lumpur, Jakkarta, Tapei, Seoul, Calcutta, Madras, Karachi(LX), Almaty,
Baku, Yerevan, Tbilisi, Teheran(LX), Riyadh(LX), Jeddah(LX), Abu Dhabi(LX), Bahrein, Kuwait, Dhahran, Damascus, Beirut, Amman,
Adis Abeba, Khartum, Harare, Kinshasa, Mombasa, Brazzaville, Libreville(LX), Malabo (LX), Yaoundé(LX), Doula(LX), Lagos(LX), Accra(LX), Abidjan, Bamako, Monrovia, Banjul, Dakar, Casablanca, Oran, Algiers, Tunis, Tripoli(LX), Benghazi(LX),
Santiago (LX), Caracas, Montevideo,
Bangor, Toronto (LX), Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Anchorage, Denver, Seattle(?), Puerto Plata and Ciego de Avilla.(note the lack of Mexico City!) and we might live up to the former Swissair days. Those destinations are not including European ones, of which there are also quite a few not served by LX anymore.

I didn‘t include Buenos Aires (LX), Rio de Janeiro, Malé, Ho Chi Minh City, Phuket, Mauritius, Cape Town, Cancun, Punta Cana, Varadero, Vancouver and Calgary as Edelweiss is serving those now. Funny how all of those were former Swissair destinations.

(LX) = also served by LX for some time.
I thought it was clear that I meant my comment jokingly, especially with former destinations like Damascus and Benghazi I thought that would be obvious.

As a fun fact: Benghazi was only cancelled in 2006, while Tripoli was served until 2009. (I wonder what political event made them cancell those flights...)

Originally Posted by MichielR

Maybe use one of these A380 on GVA-ZRH-ATH-KHI-BOM-BKK-MNL? There must be demand as such routes were successfully flown in the 1980s albeit with a DC10 then...

On a more serious note though, I think that some destinations could be added and flown profitable even today:
Notably: Casablanca and Algiers (maybe Tunis) from GVA, Santiago (as a Tag on to GRU), Seoul, Seattle and maybe as new destinations Mexico City, Anchorage (by Edelweiss) and Houston.

While I'd obviously love to have flights to Baku, Almaty, Astana, Yerevan and Tbilisi (maybe as one big ZRH-TBS-EVN-BKU-ALA-AST-TSE ), those are already well enough served by LH or OS, same with the other middle eastern destinations. The LX middle eastern destinations like Jeddah and Riyadh were actually cut by and moved to LH (which was sad imo), same with some of the African destinations and in the beginning even Singapore!

Keep in mind that most of the former SR route network is still being served by LH Group, just not LX itself. There's only a few destinations missing, some of which I could imagine being added to the LH Group network and actually working. Mombasa, Karachi (as a tag on maybe?), Libreville, Kuala Lumpur, Jakkarta, Manila are the only ones that come to mind right now. And to be honest Kuala Lumpur and Jakkarta are probably well enough served by codeshares from SIN or BKK, while the others are pretty niche destinations. But then again, Edelweiss used to fly to Kilimanjaro (there is actually a village with an airport large enough to handle an A330 there!)

What do you think? Which former SR routes or maybe even new routes could be successfully flown by LX or LH Group in its current state? Maybe even Sydney by OS again?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I think that some destinations could be added and flown profitable even today:
Notably: Casablanca and Algiers (maybe Tunis) from GVA, Santiago (as a Tag on to GRU), Seoul, Seattle and maybe as new destinations Mexico City, Anchorage (by Edelweiss) and Houston
The GRU-SCL tag-on never made money and will not come back. LX has no brand reputation in that market, no alliance partners on either end, and a terrible flight frequency. Compare that to the substantial extra cost of crewing that segment: The crew flies in from ZRH, rests a day in GRU, does GRU-SCL-GRU, rests another day, then returns home.

As for all these other destinations, what data do you base your assumptions on? Also keep in mind that airport and airways capacity is finite, so even with theoretically unlimited supplies of crew and aircraft, airlines need to prioritize where they want to hunt for profit.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bawm
You can find it, even in August 2019! For example, on arrival in Kiev
In 2016 I had the similar joy to fly on SR codeshared flight one last time from Rio de Janeiro

bawm likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: LH SENATOR
Likely we would have had 2-4 more long haul destinations and additional medium / short haul routes out of ZRH in addition to what will be added next March, if the operational restrictions at ZRH would not be that bad. If we will not see any fundamental improvements that will allow further growth going forward, every possible additional destination to be added will be a little miracle
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by airoli
The GRU-SCL tag-on never made money and will not come back. LX has no brand reputation in that market, no alliance partners on either end, and a terrible flight frequency. Compare that to the substantial extra cost of crewing that segment: The crew flies in from ZRH, rests a day in GRU, does GRU-SCL-GRU, rests another day, then returns home.

As for all these other destinations, what data do you base your assumptions on? Also keep in mind that airport and airways capacity is finite, so even with theoretically unlimited supplies of crew and aircraft, airlines need to prioritize where they want to hunt for profit.
SCL I imagine would be similar to MCT, MCT being only served by LX as a *A carrier and as a tag on from Dubai being usually rather empty.
SCL is only served by the codeshares operated by latam or avianca over Bogota if you want to fly from Europe and not connect in Houston or Toronto, which I find rather annoying. Air Canada does a tag on from SCL to Buenos Aires, Air France actually manages to have a daily flight to SCL and LIM and while I obviously don't have the background view of financials of these airlines I'd appreciate the more possibilities in destinations. Lima and Santiago being the biggest holes in the south american market in my opinion.

I am aware that airlines obviously concentrate their capacity on the most profitable routes and My question isn't if it'd in general make sense for the airlines to add these routes, but which ones you could see as working financially and load factor wise if they were to add them, not which ones would make 100% sense out of prioritizing compared to other routes.

As for Casablanca, LH flights are usually very full with a departure at 2AM and Air France manages to make four daily flights, Royal Air Maroc operates long hauls to Paris with additional frequency to France by other airlines, I think Swiss could have a piece of that market by flying from GVA. Tourism + the home market of people going from Marocco to France and back to visit relatives etc. And not to mention that the partially seasonal daily LX flight to RAK are allways very full.
As for Algiers and Tunis, same as above, but of course those routes would be more slim routes, maybe twice or thrice a week.

As for Seoul, Seattle and Houston, I don't think I need to explain.

As for Anchorage, I always felt that this would be a good additional destination for Edelweiss, which I guess I was somehow correct, since LH is planning on flying with Eurowings there.

Mexico City being the more creative one, I'm not sure it'd be doable from Zurich with the flights from LH from FRA and MUC, but I could see it working with traffic going to Mexico itself and central America and maybe some south america connecting traffic (copa to panama, avianca to bogota and san salvador) and judging from how well Edelweiss is doing on Business traffic to San jose I think it could be possible.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:23 am

I thought it was clear that I meant my comment jokingly, especially with former destinations like Damascus and Benghazi I thought that would be obvious.
Oh, it was 100% clear. Didn't think you were serious.

I thought it was clear that I meant my reply jokingly, especially with former destinations like Damascus and Benghazi I thought that would be obvious.

MichielR and Nick Art like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.