Thrones no longer available for free (except HON/SEN)

Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:47 am
  #151  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London, Paris
Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Posts: 2,001
I do agree that the price is insane. On the one hand my sentiment is that’s a fair trade for ultra-low P fares, but on the other hand I’m pretty sure the same price even if you’re buying ZDCJ fares.

I would never pay that much for it.
sophialite is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:53 am
  #152  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: En Route
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,798
Havenít flown LX in a while, is selection free for *G?
GetSetJetSet is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:52 am
  #153  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Posts: 2,515
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Havenít flown LX in a while, is selection free for *G?
Seat selection in C is free of course, but there are blocked seats (not only the thrones) for SEN and HON - their own elites.

Preferred seat selection is no published *G benefit.
behuman is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:19 am
  #154  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,782
Just refuse to pay the fee as non-SEN/HON, do not encourage this kind of behaviour. They will take it even further as long as people pay.
sydunipete likes this.
view is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:19 am
  #155  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 5,853
Probably a window into LHís new C, now that the test bed trial on LX has been successful.
chris63 likes this.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:24 am
  #156  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: CH
Programs: LX SEN
Posts: 899
I just flew on a LX TATL flight on a probably full C cabin. The were thrones still available (for free) at OLCI. Accordingly, anyone who had paid for them had wasted money on that particular flight.

In addition, I fail to see the benefit of those seats, except if one needs desk space to work on voluminous files.

On that particular flight, I peeked at the seat map in the galley which indicated where the about 4-5 SENs where seated (no HONs in that cabin). Not all were in so-called thrones. Accordingly, there were plenty of good seats left for non status pax, even on a full cabin. Interestingly, only SENs had their names written on their seats. Unlike LH which prides itself at calling its C pax by their names, LX only does it for its elites (SENs and HONs).
Nic33 is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:32 am
  #157  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Posts: 17,066
Originally Posted by behuman
S....there are blocked seats (not only the thrones) for SEN and HON - their own elites.
That's the theory, but the computer said no to me booking seats in the forward mini-cabin. Took three phone calls.

Shouldn't have bothered. I was looking for peace and quiet on the short night flight from BOM, but in 4D found the traffic in and out of first, and the circus around getting bedding out of storage quite annoying.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:28 am
  #158  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 798
Originally Posted by Nic33
I just flew on a LX TATL flight on a probably full C cabin. The were thrones still available (for free) at OLCI. Accordingly, anyone who had paid for them had wasted money on that particular flight.

In addition, I fail to see the benefit of those seats, except if one needs desk space to work on voluminous files.

On that particular flight, I peeked at the seat map in the galley which indicated where the about 4-5 SENs where seated (no HONs in that cabin). Not all were in so-called thrones. Accordingly, there were plenty of good seats left for non status pax, even on a full cabin. Interestingly, only SENs had their names written on their seats. Unlike LH which prides itself at calling its C pax by their names, LX only does it for its elites (SENs and HONs).
well, thats the thing! FTers and savvy travelers know not to waste money on these seats, so LX is essentially preying on the less-informed and their fears of not getting their choice of seating. Shame on LX!
rosenkavalier is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:45 am
  #159  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London, Paris
Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Posts: 2,001
Itís really route dependent. Some have a large number of HONs/SENs and so the preferred seats are pretty much taken at online checkin. Others do not.

Whether you decide to pay up earlier for a particular seat assignment is a bet made by oneís estimation of the probability of getting what they want and how much they value the choice theyíre making.

I donít see anything wrong with it. I think there is something decidedly unpremium with buying a business class fare and having to pay up for a seat assignment. But not sure if it rises up to the level where we need to protect our fellow flyer. Especially in business class.
sophialite is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:36 am
  #160  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: 1 thousand
Posts: 2,112
Originally Posted by sophialite
I do agree that the price is insane. On the one hand my sentiment is thatís a fair trade for ultra-low P fares, but on the other hand Iím pretty sure the same price even if youíre buying ZDCJ fares.

I would never pay that much for it.
P fares out of ZRH aren't cheap. Fortunately I can book them via UA to get better miles out of them.

Overall, this is probably a good change. Reduces the likelihood of people buying the good thrones, hence increasing the likelihood I can get them for free at checkin on the rare occasion I have to fly LX.
televisor is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:55 pm
  #161  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Posts: 431
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
well, thats the thing! FTers and savvy travelers know not to waste money on these seats, so LX is essentially preying on the less-informed and their fears of not getting their choice of seating. Shame on LX!
More than that some FTers (e.g. me) avoid flying LX because of these fees. So they might think it's free money because some people pay, but there is a potential downside in lost business. And I am pretty sure their data science models don't account for that.
chris63 likes this.
fatlasercat is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:18 pm
  #162  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 56,657
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
well, thats the thing! FTers and savvy travelers know not to waste money on these seats
Yup. I've scored a throne for free my last two LX flights (LX 38).
Originally Posted by behuman
Seat selection in C is free of course, but there are blocked seats (not only the thrones) for SEN and HON
IME, something like half the cabin is blocked in advance.
chris63 likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:16 am
  #163  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 11,782
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
More than that some FTers (e.g. me) avoid flying LX because of these fees. So they might think it's free money because some people pay, but there is a potential downside in lost business. And I am pretty sure their data science models don't account for that.
Indeed, itís just not premium to charge for seats in J, do agree with blocking some seats for SEN & HON but not charges for the rest.
Iím sure this is losing LX customers
chris63 is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:28 am
  #164  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London, Paris
Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Posts: 2,001
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
More than that some FTers (e.g. me) avoid flying LX because of these fees. So they might think it's free money because some people pay, but there is a potential downside in lost business. And I am pretty sure their data science models don't account for that.
Iím sure business models for a major international airline account for lost business. Whether the projections are accurate is another matter.
sophialite is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:19 am
  #165  
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhineland-Palatinate
Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Posts: 5,731
BA always has outrageous seat selection fees in J for non elites. This is done on purpose to reserve a good selection of seats to passengers with status. Sometimes a few people pay, extra money for BA. LX might simply follow the same strategy. I am not sure the loss of business is significant compared to the uptake.
behuman likes this.
fransknorge is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.