Thrones no longer available for free (except HON/SEN)

Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
At T 48 was unable to change anything nor was I able to check in
The LH IT is wonky. Last time I tried to select a throne on LX, I had to try multiple times. Was a few hours inside T-48 when it finally stuck. I was using both the app and the website, don't recall exactly which one finally worked.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 4:55 pm

Programs: Currently: UA 1K | Previously: AS MVPG75K, SPG Gold, Kimpton IC, HH Gold
Upgrading to 'throne seat' in the era of COVID

My apologies if this has been asked before--I searched but didn't quite find what I was looking for.

For the first time in two years, I'll be flying again and I'm looking at LX J for a transatlantic (SFO ZRH) flight. A couple questions to the experts:

1. Is it worth paying for the upgrade when I book, or are the flights so vacant it won't matter? (Flight will probably happen in early or mid March.)
2. If I pay for the upgrade and my flight gets cancelled, or I have to get rebooked for whatever reason, does Swiss make an attempt to preserve the upgrade on the flight to which I'm eventually assigned?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: M&M HON***
Originally Posted by felixmendelssohn
My apologies if this has been asked before--I searched but didn't quite find what I was looking for.

For the first time in two years, I'll be flying again and I'm looking at LX J for a transatlantic (SFO ZRH) flight. A couple questions to the experts:

1. Is it worth paying for the upgrade when I book, or are the flights so vacant it won't matter? (Flight will probably happen in early or mid March.)
2. If I pay for the upgrade and my flight gets cancelled, or I have to get rebooked for whatever reason, does Swiss make an attempt to preserve the upgrade on the flight to which I'm eventually assigned?
Occupancy is unpredictable. I have seen both empty and crowded flights at all times during the entire pandemic.
felixmendelssohn likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
What do you mean with " worth paying for an upgrade"?
Do you assume you will get an upgrade without paying, if there is enough space in the cabin? Or do you assume you will have several seats next to you not occupied?
Answer to the first part: No.
Answer to the second part: Depends.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
If you flight gets canceled (in advance), you will fall back you your old class of service and get the money/miles reimbursed.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: Currently: UA 1K | Previously: AS MVPG75K, SPG Gold, Kimpton IC, HH Gold
Originally Posted by athome;[url=tel:33906810
33906810]What do you mean with " worth paying for an upgrade"?
Do you assume you will get an upgrade without paying, if there is enough space in the cabin? Or do you assume you will have several seats next to you not occupied?
Answer to the first part: No.
Answer to the second part: Depends.
Originally Posted by athome;[url=tel:33906813
33906813]If you flight gets canceled (in advance), you will fall back you your old class of service and get the money/miles reimbursed.
Thanks for the replies. My apologies for being ambiguous.

I will be on a paid J ticket but from what I understand the throne seats aren't guaranteed unless you pay extra to select them prior to the 24h pre-flight window. If I pay to secure the throne seat and then my flight gets cancelled, will LX try to put me in a throne seat on the flight I end up on? I assume they won't refund the throne seat fee.

Second question: Is it even worth it to pay to secure the throne seat? Or are flights sufficiently vacant that I'll be able to snag one?
Judging by the replies it sounds like I shouldn't count on vacancy. 👍
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I would not count on a low load factor. I flew ZRH-SFO RT in December and other intercontinental flights on LX/LH in Nov and on all flights C (and F) were fully or almost fully booked. Y was quite empty. Hard to predict what will happen by March. Maybe more restrictions and lighter loads, or maybe (hopefully) the omicron wave is over, restrictions will be decreased again and loads factors will go up again.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by felixmendelssohn
Thanks for the replies. My apologies for being ambiguous.

I will be on a paid J ticket but from what I understand the throne seats aren't guaranteed unless you pay extra to select them prior to the 24h pre-flight window. If I pay to secure the throne seat and then my flight gets cancelled, will LX try to put me in a throne seat on the flight I end up on? I assume they won't refund the throne seat fee.

Second question: Is it even worth it to pay to secure the throne seat? Or are flights sufficiently vacant that I'll be able to snag one?
Judging by the replies it sounds like I shouldn't count on vacancy. 👍
If your flight gets cancelled, you are most probably entitled to a refund if you paid for a so-called throne seat.

I am flying TATL tonight (out of MIA) and all thrones are currently taken, but they were a few left a few days ago. I expect that those empty thrones got booked when they became free of charge.

The best is to check when you book. The more are available, the better are your chances. You can always pay for one later, as more and more become taken.

On another note, the seats to the other side of the plane with the large armrest between the seat and the aisle are good enough in terms of privacy (there is just less desk space, which, for me, would be an major inconvenience for a night flight). But I believe that they can only be reserved by SENs/HONs until a certain time before departure.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Nic33
On another note, the seats to the other side of the plane with the large armrest between the seat and the aisle are good enough in terms of privacy (there is just less desk space, which, for me, would be an major inconvenience for a night flight). But I believe that they can only be reserved by SENs/HONs until a certain time before departure.
I believe you're referring to the solo K seats on the A330/A340, which are indeed comparable to thrones in terms of privacy for a solo traveler. However, the 777 does not have these seats; the only solo seats on that aircraft are thrones.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:06 pm

Fee for reserving buiness class seat - also for Star Alliance Gold?

I noticed now for the second time that if I want to reserve certain business class seats I have to pay. The Swiss web page states that there is no fee for HON and Senator. However, the fee remains for Star Alliance Gold?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, that's right
Old Aug 23, 2022, 8:02 am

Had a shock today when the SEN line was going to charge me EUR 200 for a throne seat. Of course I declined. After double checking this thread and not seeing any news about a new fee policy for SEN/HON, called back. This time reached a super experienced and informative agent and the thrones were available free as usual. Thanks to FT, otherwise Id just have given up and had one reason less to keep my loyalty with Swiss.

Just a side note on exceptional service from this agent: while writing this note he called back since he noticed I had a dummy booking in the system (from when I was testing if there really was a new fee policy) which was blocking my preferred seat. So he called me back to confirm, and then allocated me 4D.

If only Swiss service was always this exceptional, I would try so hard to avoid routing with another airline!
Old Aug 23, 2022, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by GlobalNomad
Had a shock today when the SEN line was going to charge me EUR 200 for a throne seat. Of course I declined. After double checking this thread and not seeing any news about a new fee policy for SEN/HON, called back. This time reached a super experienced and informative agent and the thrones were available free as usual. Thanks to FT, otherwise Id just have given up and had one reason less to keep my loyalty with Swiss.

Just a side note on exceptional service from this agent: while writing this note he called back since he noticed I had a dummy booking in the system (from when I was testing if there really was a new fee policy) which was blocking my preferred seat. So he called me back to confirm, and then allocated me 4D.

If only Swiss service was always this exceptional, I would try so hard to avoid routing with another airline!
I think you seriously lucked out with the agent. Except for the LH First Class Hotline, I have not been impressed with the quality of service provided by LHG call agents.
GlobalNomad likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by GlobalNomad

If you were logged in as SEN when booking the system should not be charging you anyway but the competence of the callcentre staff is extremely variable, i always try to call during DE open hours to get an agent at BER.
GlobalNomad likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 8:52 am

Are privacy seats (aka "thrones") free to reserve now?

Just booked a trip for work via Concur and selected 4A, a throne seat. The confirmation shows 4A as confirmed, but in trips past (two over the last year) I called Swiss to doublecheck and ended up paying the fee for the seat. This time when I called, the CSR told me the seat is confirmed--there's nothing to pay. Seems a bit too good to be true, no?

I have no status on the LX FF program--in fact, I book my miles against my UA account, which also has no status.

Edit: Also worth noting that, unlike in past trips, I am flying on a mixed itinerary with UA outbound, LX return.

Edit #2: I have now called and spoken with *another* CSR, who also confirms that I have the seat, in spite of having paid nothing.

Last edited by felixmendelssohn; Oct 14, 2022 at 9:01 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.