Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

Suggestion - Communication of FT Changes/Enhancements

Old Mar 24, 05, 2:15 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz

I am going to ask this question and hope that I do not present myself as being "whiney" or ungrateful of this site and all that is done on our behalf to provide it to us at such a reasonable cost.

Question for the TalkBoard -

Is there a way that you could work with the FT technical staff to be aware of any pending changes/upgrades to FT that impact the user interface, and, if so, be able to communicate them before or when they are implemented?

I am not looking for a forum to debate business decisions made by our host; only clear communication of the changes, possible impact, and, perhaps, solutions or workarounds.
Old Mar 24, 05, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I am going to ask this question and hope that I do not present myself as being "whiney" or ungrateful of this site and all that is done on our behalf to provide it to us at such a reasonable cost.

Question for the TalkBoard -

Is there a way that you could work with the FT technical staff to be aware of any pending changes/upgrades to FT that impact the user interface, and, if so, be able to communicate them before or when they are implemented?

I am not looking for a forum to debate business decisions made by our host; only clear communication of the changes, possible impact, and, perhaps, solutions or workarounds.
Very eloquently stated. Regarding the miles/points forums on this website, I think that a recurring theme when complaints are posted regarding a frequent flyer program is poor communication. This is the one area that Flyertalk also seems to fail.

I'm sure that a lot of users today were wondering if Flyertalk had somehow been hacked or was infected with some type of virus...

Last edited by bigjim; Mar 24, 05 at 6:21 pm Reason: Beating a horse that seems like it's dead
Old Mar 24, 05, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Though I can guess, specifically to what changes to the interface are you referring?
Old Mar 24, 05, 4:31 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
I understand your pain. Hated to see the spam inserted between posts at the forums where I visited today, but this may just be a sign of the times and a way to pay the bills. And, the web site does seem to be having Starwood-itis lately as well.

If you can tell us exactly what it is you are experiencing, it might help us to get started. But, this might better be served as a post in the Technical section rather than here for the TalkBoard to consider. After all, as the member advisory board, we are going to bring it to their (and Randy's) attention regardless and the technical staff (and Randy) will have to be the ones to act on any recommendations we might make on your behalf.

Could be that there is something they know about and are working on that is not under their direct control and may be taking a while to address properly or it could be that they are not aware that there is a problem and they just need a head's up. Until we know for sure what is going on, I'm not sure we have much to go on as far as making a recommendation.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Mar 24, 05, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Spiff
Though I can guess, specifically to what changes to the interface are you referring?
Thanks, Spiff.

Thinking of recent changes...

Search Down/Up/Down - I think this was well communicated with the stickies and other supporting communications.

The changes to Coupon Connection eligibility (or, in a larger sense, the tool that can restrict users from certain forums) - I don't recall a general announcement that the existing rules had been changed, but I understand that there were reasons for this and think I understand why.

The addition of the advertising to the forum threads. I do not recall seeing any communication on this before it was implemented. As a result, I am seeing questions of pretty much the same natue - "what happened/what is going on" - in numerous forums, from Mileage Run to OMNI, to Tech Support, and individual airlines. You get the point. I am sure the forum moderators will be tasked with answering, closing, or redirecting these posts. There also seems to be some "ill-will" from some users regarding the lack of communication over so visable a change.

William -

I read John's response in the Technical Forum that "advertising was not a technical issue," hence my question here. The TalkBoard has my faith (and ongoing support) to be advocates of the FT Community.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 25, 05 at 9:26 am Reason: edited for clarity (I hope)
Old Mar 25, 05, 12:32 pm

The TalkBoard is discussing this issue.
Old Mar 25, 05, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
The TalkBoard is discussing this issue.
Again, thanks for your consideration.
Old Jun 14, 05, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Just seeing if the TalkBoard found any merrit to this suggestion.
Old Jun 15, 05, 4:52 pm

There are the Announcements that appear at the top of the pages from time to time...
Old Jun 15, 05, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

True, but then again, there have been some pretty significant changes that have gone un-announced as well, prompting several threads in different forums asking "what is going on?"
Old Jun 15, 05, 5:09 pm

I think this request will best be met if moved to the Suggestions forum, as it really is something the folks at WebFlyer should be able to address without needing the help of the TalkBoard.

I shall move this thread there, in hopes of expediting an answer to your request.
Old Jun 15, 05, 5:49 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

if you will read this thread in ORP, I hope it will help you understand that the non announcement of a few small changes was on purpose, not an oversight.

Here's the thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443530

As for the overall topic of this thread. You make a good point and we'll see what we can do. It seems to me that your concerns are solely to do with changes we've made in posting requirements and frankly as noted elsewhere, those were changes we did not want to make a big deal of. Not because there is anything to hide, but because they seem to incite unacceptable member behavior. That is, members would start to make useless posts simply to pad their account. Even without an announcement these things happen and we have to clean up after them as well as apologize to the other members who see this as diluting the value of a particular thread.

If you have more specific examples outside of this area, that would be of greater help.

Thanks,
Randy

True, but then again, there have been some pretty significant changes that have gone un-announced as well, prompting several threads in different forums asking "what is going on?"
Old Jun 15, 05, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your time, Randy.

I think I mentioned above that I respected any reason you might have for not being forthcoming about Coupon Connection rules, and that hasn't changed.

One other event (and the genesis for my original post) was the addition of the Google ads in the forum threads. There were a flurry of posts after that implementation as well - thanks to the efforts of the moderators, they were addressed.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 15, 05 at 6:27 pm
Old Jun 16, 05, 9:19 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

The google ads were simply something tried out by our advertising department. I think they fully understand that FlyerTalk because of its size and traffic is a very expensive Web site to run. Annually it costs more than $150,000 a year to provide to our members. We have three full-time tech and content people committed to the project, the bandwidth which you can appreciate is fairly expensive, a growing stable of servers and other hardware as well. We never used to have ads in the early days, i simply paid the bills. But the bills are much larger these days.... To date I have more than $350,000 personally sunk into FlyerTalk and our hope is that shortly with things like the google ads, that at least the Web site pays for itself. I'd do it all over again - contributing the time and money for FlyerTalk - and just hope that you understand that I'm not made of money!

Actually there is something fun and exciting coming along shortly that will be a refreshing option for any of you bugged by google. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Randy

Thanks for your time, Randy.

I think I mentioned above that I respected any reason you might have for not being forthcoming about Coupon Connection rules, and that hasn't changed.

One other event (and the genesis for my original post) was the addition of the Google ads in the forum threads. There were a flurry of posts after that implementation as well - thanks to the efforts of the moderators, they were addressed.
Old Jun 16, 05, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Randy:

I hope my original post properly communicates that I do not take your gift of FlyerTalk either lightly or for granted. I guess my core suggestion (and please, take it for what it is worth) is that when possible, a communication of implementations might make both your and the moderator's lives a little easier by not having to respond to as many "what happened?" questions.

Enough from me on this - thanks for lending an ear. Off to go contribute posts on miles and points...