Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Which Bangkok property is closest to airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Bangkok property is closest to airport?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Generally I'd say that you will be safe at the PA, SGS, WGS, FP or Aloft. They'll all give you a pretty fair experience for the arrival/departure times you are talking about.
Thanks to everyone for the welcome advice. Looks like I can get a good company discount rate at the PA. Any further thoughts on whether that is a feasible option for times (please see below) when I might be dealing with heavy traffic? Also, any further directions on what to tell the taxi driver re how to get there, since a post upthread makes it sound confusing.

The Four Points certainly is within my budget and I don't need anything fancy for a quick stay. But is it equally convenient to the airport as SGS and WGS? It certainly is close to them, but I realize that in Bangkok once you get on a side street you can be stuck there for longer than the entire highway ride to/from the airport.

It's true that I'll be arriving late or on Sunday for five of my visits and leaving very early in the morning on three of them, so traffic won't be much of an issue. But for a couple of the other departures I'll be catching an 11 a.m. flight on a week day. If I were at the Four Points, how much time would I want to leave to make sure to get to the airport on time? (Or would I simply be crazy to stay there those times?)

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by Thunderroad; Feb 28, 2012 at 6:03 pm
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks to everyone for the welcome advice. Looks like I can get a good company discount rate at the PA. Any further thoughts on whether that is a feasible option for times (please see below) when I might be dealing with heavy traffic? Also, any further directions on what to tell the taxi driver re how to get there, since a post upthread makes it sound confusing.

The Four Points certainly is within my budget and I don't need anything fancy for a quick stay. But is it equally convenient to the airport as SGS and WGS? It certainly is close to them, but I realize that in Bangkok once you get on a side street you can be stuck there for longer than the entire highway ride to/from the airport.

It's true that I'll be arriving late or on Sunday for five of my visits and leaving very early in the morning on three of them, so traffic won't be much of an issue. But for a couple of the other departures I'll be catching an 11 a.m. flight on a week day. If I were at the Four Points, how much time would I want to leave to make sure to get to the airport on time? (Or would I simply be crazy to stay there those times?)

Thanks again for the help!
Late evening arrival Sunday early morning departure Monday AM really I would just stay at the Novotel in the airport at BKK which is a solid Thailand 4*.

If you are heading to a SPG property the easiest one to get OUT of BKK from will be the PA. If you want to tell a driver how to get to the hotel printout a map from their website (or ask them to email you one)- alternatively if you know the street well tell them Wireless road and then just stop them when you get to the LM complex (which is quite large).

The other properties are also fine. For an 11A flight on a weekday- if you are flying domestic economy, domestic or international business, or first I would leave at 8:30, otherwise at 8:00A. The difference is because flying economy non-domestic you don't have priority immigration or security- so factor in 30 minutes difference to clear this. If it is raining I would add another 20 minutes.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for the quick and useful advice, TS. With the exception of one 5 p.m. weekday arrival, the challenge will be the 11 a.m. weekday departures, so for the most part it looks like I'll go with the PA and get the map/directions as you suggest.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:25 pm

FYI ... Next year there will be an LM golf resort out at the airport.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=3031

they say opening Dec 2012, but we know how that works.

Check out the SPG BKK property map in my sig.

11AM departures are easy.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.