Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Which Bangkok property is closest to airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Bangkok property is closest to airport?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
And due to the heavy evening/night traffic at the Patpong Area, the Le Meridien would not be the best choice.
(esp. Surawong rd)
Old May 8, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Andie007
And due to the heavy evening/night traffic at the Patpong Area, the Le Meridien would not be the best choice.
(esp. Surawong rd)
Time of day does make a bit of a difference. If it is in the early morning then there is not enough of a difference between any of the properties to make any real difference.
Old May 8, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
The turn off the highway and back to Wireless Road to get to the Plaza eats up a lot of time during rush hour, so the Sheraton is probably the best bet by Taxi.
Old May 8, 2009, 7:42 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Wilbur
The turn off the highway and back to Wireless Road to get to the Plaza eats up a lot of time during rush hour, so the Sheraton is probably the best bet by Taxi.
During rush hour the traffic in front of the SGS can get ugly. The traffic on wireless in not much better but in this case the OP is coming in late.

I would say since PA is really the closest to the freeway entry then it should be the quickest especially given we are talking about late at night and early in the morning but I still contend for late at night and early morning trips the time difference is not that much. I would not select the ROS just because you will get the taxi scam that ticks me off.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:15 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by Shantanu
I am either very very impressed that you knew that.....or, very very concerned!
Probably concerned..... I am a pedantic fellow, but have stayed at SGS 35 times or so and know Suk Rd and the best access at different times of day really well. I've always found the U-turn at Asoke very annoying if you miss the lights as it's such a long wait.

Thanks for maybe being impressed, though.
Old May 9, 2009, 5:10 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
I already know the distances (and the routes to the airport). That's why I was questioning how you got yours. Seems like the hotels were still giving the distance to Don Muang.
I bow down to your superior knowledge, Sir.
Old May 9, 2009, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Call me crazy but last night I used the ROS for an airport overnight. It's the expressway pretty much the whole way, less than 25 minutes in each direction, and was by far the cheapest. I know it's a bit of a disregarded property but was actually quite lovely for what it was -- Upgraded to a top floor jr. suite, club access, and the option to take breakfast down by the river (which wasn't too crowded and a wonderful spread). Easy in and out, checkin in the room, it actually worked nicely.

In the other direction I did use the Novotel as even from there I was heading off to the airport before 5am...
Old May 9, 2009, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Late at night/early in the morning- if you want an SPG property I would say ROS as the entrance/exit from the motorway is very easy (although during the day the traffic is a nightmare).
Old May 9, 2009, 7:43 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
The best choice IMHO is the SGS/Westin. From the airport, the Sukhumvit off-ramp will be 5-10 minutes earlier than Silom. (I have, however, been stuck at this off-ramp during the weekday evenings on a rare occasion.)

The likely Freeway entrance for the Plaza Athenee is on Rama IV rd, which is several KMs on a stretch that can get very slow during certain peak times. Although just as easy as the lot above to get to from the airport, the jaunt from hotel to airport isn't the quickest.

The ROS, Sheraton (one of my favorite properties) can get terribly congested between the offramp at Silom and the hotel. It's a stretch of only a few blocks, but I've been stuck in it for 30-45 minutes often.

I would follow the previous advice and do the SGS/Westin... where the meter portion of the fare should be less than 200THB.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:24 am

If you tell your taxi driver (or the person at the PA putting you in the taxi) where you're going, then Rama IV isn't the way to go. The hotel people should know the correct way (which is on Wireless).

Agree, the best place is the SGS for easy access
Old May 12, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
SGS in my opinion is the best bet... Especially headed in late at night, out early in the morning.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

Ok, I'm bumping my own thread because I'll be in and out of Bangkok three times between now and June and would like to stay at a Starwood if at all possible. As before, I'm arriving late into Bangkok (about 11 p.m.) three nights; my flight the next day is at about 11 a.m.

On the other three days I arrive at 5 p.m. However, luckily, two of those 5 p.m. arrivals are on Sunday; the third is on a Tuesday. My flight out the next day is 6 a.m.

FWIW, I have a pretty low per diem of about $140, but would go beyond that for some comfort and especially being relatively convenient to the airport.

Same advice from folks as last time? Anything different by virtue of these times and the fact that it's now a couple of years later?

Thanks again for any help!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:14 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Generally I'd say that you will be safe at the PA, SGS, WGS, FP or Aloft. They'll all give you a pretty fair experience for the arrival/departure times you are talking about.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I did a couple of stays at the Aloft Sukumvit and thought it was a nice property. The price is right (and now its going to be a cat 1, even better!), free wifi and decent fitness facilities. The only issue with traffic is that the area can be a mess. If you don't have much luggage though you can take the train from the airport and walk the rest of the way... about 1 km or so...
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: United MP 1K, Cathay Pacific Silver, Shangri-La Hotels Gold, Accor Hotels Silver
My vote would be for WGS or SGS as well. I've never had problems getting out quickly at that time in the morning and rarely had problems coming in that late. Your biggest variable in time will be the delay in getting through immigration, and I usually check both immigration areas of the airport since the first one you come to is often the most crowded (thanks to your fellow travelers). You'll have little enough time at the hotel as it is with your schedule, so for me, saving the extra few minutes that you'd incur going going farther west (like the ROS or Meridien) is worth it, but then I like to cut things close and get every minute extra sleep I can when I'm flying out of Suvarnabhumi early morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.