Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Receive Starpoints or credit for declining housekeeping.

See the Starwood Green Choice Program Description & FAQ for details.

Green Choice options, awarded at check out for each night you decline housekeeping services (except day of departure) :
North America & Europe/Middle East
500 Starpoints, at participating Sheraton, Westin, Luxury Collection, Le Méridien, St. Regis and W locations.
250 Starpoints at participating Aloft, Element and Four Points by Sheraton locations.
Or $5 USD (amount may change based on location/region) voucher at participating food and beverage outlets within the hotel.
Latin America
Participating hotels provide a 250 Starpoint option or $5 Food & Beverage option only
Asia Pacific
Participating hotels provide a 250 Starpoint option only.

The maximum number of Green Choice nights allowed is determined by each hotel, but is normally 3 consecutive nights. For longer stays, after housekeeping on the 4th night, you can usually then have another 3 consecutive Green Choice nights.

Flyertalk wiki of participating and non-participating Green Choice properties :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1503438-post-properties-participate-make-green-choice-program.html#post21451970
Print Wikipost

'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by kevino
Sheraton Lima. Got 500 points per night! And there was no requirement that the room be cleaned after 3 days. They just called and asked every 3rd or 4th day and I said no cleaning was necessary.
I too recently had a US stay where they gave me MAGC for 4 straight nights. I asked if they had to clean on the 3rd night (of 5) since I've always been told this was the case. And they said no, we don't have to clean at all and you can earn MAGC for every night (except the last one). So 2,000 MAGC points for a 5 night stay

Only 2 data points so far - but seems a change from prior rules.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Anyone else considering ditching the green choice program if Marriott tend to keep 500 MR points/166 spg points?
​​​​I don't think hoping out fresh bedlinen, refill for bathroom amnesties, new water bottles everyday in my room to be worth 166 spg points. 500 spg points today is good. It's not fantastic and not bad.
I know lots of Spg hotels save plenty of money and time due to the Green choice program so wonder what will happen next. 166spg point is however pretty close to the 250 spg mark which is for the american market? Only stay in Europe and Asia. Asia doesn't offer green choice from what I've experienced.

Not looking too bright into the future today with Marriott considering earning points. Their promotions are useless with the rule to earn after third stay or night or something.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Anyone else considering ditching the green choice program if Marriott tend to keep 500 MR points/166 spg points?
​​​​I don't think hoping out fresh bedlinen, refill for bathroom amnesties, new water bottles everyday in my room to be worth 166 spg points. 500 spg points today is good. It's not fantastic and not bad.
I know lots of Spg hotels save plenty of money and time due to the Green choice program so wonder what will happen next. 166spg point is however pretty close to the 250 spg mark which is for the american market? Only stay in Europe and Asia. Asia doesn't offer green choice from what I've experienced.

Not looking too bright into the future today with Marriott considering earning points. Their promotions are useless with the rule to earn after third stay or night or something.
Expecting parity between the programs, i believe is futile. All too often they go for the "me too" solution (remember MR believes being able to have a reservation containing paid nights and point nights to be competitive with every other program's Cash & Points where each night has a cash & point component). To me the choice is do I want points for service I don't need or not. I would turn down the service long before I had the ability to get points, no at least I can get something out of it.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joakgarp

Regardless of points I rather they not clean my room everyday. It's unnecessary and it's not good for the environment. Getting the points is just an added bonus on top of lessening the pollution on earth. Even if they gave me no points, I wouldn't want them to clean my room every day. FYI, I do 30 day stays so I ask them to clean it once every two weeks.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:47 am
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
500 SPG points for MAGC is decent (not great, not terrible, but decent). I choose it every time. I haven't stayed at a Marriott property in almost a year (even though I'm MR Lifetime Plat) as I switched loyalty to SPG last fall. 500 MR points for MAGC is crap. I doubt that I'll choose that option unless they decide to enhance it on parity with SPG.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:15 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I too recently had a US stay where they gave me MAGC for 4 straight nights. I asked if they had to clean on the 3rd night (of 5) since I've always been told this was the case. And they said no, we don't have to clean at all and you can earn MAGC for every night (except the last one). So 2,000 MAGC points for a 5 night stay

Only 2 data points so far - but seems a change from prior rules.
Westin Whistler, room did not have to be cleaned after the 3rd night. 2k MAGC points for a 5-night stay as well.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:02 pm

Is it confirmed that 500 "starpoints" now just means 500 marriott points? Specifically I'm at Aloft
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:57 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
As a "new to Marriott" post merger what is the average time it takes for Make A Green Choice bonuses to post after a stay? I'm used to them posting with my stay in old SPG program. I have 3 stays from last month that still did not post. Also, do they post as separate items in "activity" tab in account?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by EdV
As a "new to Marriott" post merger what is the average time it takes for Make A Green Choice bonuses to post after a stay? I'm used to them posting with my stay in old SPG program. I have 3 stays from last month that still did not post. Also, do they post as separate items in "activity" tab in account?
I was led to believe that all "Extras" such as Platinum/Gold Welcome Amenity Points would post in the "Extra" line.

Here's an example from a recent two night stay where I had the 1,000 Platinum Welcome Points + 500 MAGC Points.
+3,758 Points
(1,290 Base + 968 Elite + 1,500 Extra)
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:17 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I was led to believe that all "Extras" such as Platinum/Gold Welcome Amenity Points would post in the "Extra" line.

Here's an example from a recent two night stay where I had the 1,000 Platinum Welcome Points + 500 MAGC Points.
+3,758 Points
(1,290 Base + 968 Elite + 1,500 Extra)
Okay, that makes sense to me. So it all posts at once, within say 47-72 hours of the checkout? Well my last 2 stays in question then don't seem to have them on there. Here's one of my stays that are in questions (TownePlace Suites so only expecting the 250 points / night) which I read as my rate, Platinum bonus and 500 Platinum Welcome Points but no sign of the 3 nights of MAGC (750 points). By your understanding I should see + 1,250 Extra right?

+6,140 Points
(3,760 Base + 1,880 Elite + 500 Extra)
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Is it confirmed that 500 "starpoints" now just means 500 marriott points? Specifically I'm at Aloft
I think it would be 250 Marriott points at Aloft -- where previously it was 250 Starpoints.

Courtyard is definitely 250, as a related datapoint.

Sad (though I took it on this stay as I'm only around for two nights and it was an easy way to keep housekeeping from interrupting me this morning).
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by dtremit
I think it would be 250 Marriott points at Aloft -- where previously it was 250 Starpoints.

Courtyard is definitely 250, as a related datapoint.

Sad (though I took it on this stay as I'm only around for two nights and it was an easy way to keep housekeeping from interrupting me this morning).
I just took the $5 credit for food. $5 is still $5, luckily
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
​​​​​​
I just had a stay in Europe, where €5 is even more of a deal!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
$5 F&B credit isn't an option at the Marriott properties where they've rolled out the benefit, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear as an option soon.

(Then again, the only think Marriott seems to like better than cutting tiny corners is having a bewildering and incomprehensible matrix of benefits.)
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
​​​​​​
I just had a stay in Europe, where €5 is even more of a deal!
Do they have pastries for sale in European Alofts? I'd like a fruit tart please. I just spent all my money on naked juice bottles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.