Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Receive Starpoints or credit for declining housekeeping.

See the Starwood Green Choice Program Description & FAQ for details.

Green Choice options, awarded at check out for each night you decline housekeeping services (except day of departure) :
North America & Europe/Middle East
500 Starpoints, at participating Sheraton, Westin, Luxury Collection, Le Méridien, St. Regis and W locations.
250 Starpoints at participating Aloft, Element and Four Points by Sheraton locations.
Or $5 USD (amount may change based on location/region) voucher at participating food and beverage outlets within the hotel.
Latin America
Participating hotels provide a 250 Starpoint option or $5 Food & Beverage option only
Asia Pacific
Participating hotels provide a 250 Starpoint option only.

The maximum number of Green Choice nights allowed is determined by each hotel, but is normally 3 consecutive nights. For longer stays, after housekeeping on the 4th night, you can usually then have another 3 consecutive Green Choice nights.

Flyertalk wiki of participating and non-participating Green Choice properties :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1503438-post-properties-participate-make-green-choice-program.html#post21451970
Print Wikipost

'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:59 am
STM
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Plat

Haven't seen this posted here and I thought it was a unique program (though no doubt many FT regulars will tell me that I didn't do a proper search and that the program has existed for years). The Seattle Sheraton currently awards either a $5 gift card per day to the hotel restaurant or 500 Starpoints per day for declining daily Housekeeping. Since I really don't need six new towels each day and am not a complete slob, this isn't a bad deal.

Moderator edit :

A new wiki thread, detailing how the Green Choice programme works at induvidual properties, is here.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Sep 16, 2013 at 5:25 am
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:01 am

Programs: Priority Club, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Choice Privileges, WorldPerks, SkyMiles, RapidRewards
What a great idea! I ALWAYS put the "Do Not Disturb" sign out, because when I am in the room - I don't care for how long - I don't want them disturbing my stuff, nor even coming in at all. Getting $ or points for that is just a bonus!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
If anyone does have information on how to sign up, this is absolutely something I would take them up on!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:16 am
STM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atxtraveler
If anyone does have information on how to sign up, this is absolutely something I would take them up on!
Again, this is the first time I'd seen it during my current stay at the Seattle Sheraton. There is a hang-card in the room that you simply put on your door prior to 2:00 am and the next morning there is a $5 restaurant gift card slid under your door. You either use that gift card or go to the front desk and exchange it for 500 Starpoints. Very simple; no signup necessary. Not sure if other Sheratons or Starwood hotels are doing it.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
This would be awesome. I hope it is rolled out on a larger scale.. the hotel saves money on energy, staffing, half empty shampoo bottles.

Points obsessed guest gets 500 points.

Its a win- win. ^
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by pitbrian
This would be awesome. I hope it is rolled out on a larger scale.. the hotel saves money on energy, staffing, half empty shampoo bottles.

Points obsessed guest gets 500 points.

Its a win- win. ^
Totally agree, I would take advantage of this a lot. Let's hope it is rolled out worldwide.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I agree, but from Starwood's standpoint, do they really want people in their rooms for 5 days without cleaning them (which is what I would do for 2500 pts!). For the upkeep/longevity of rooms, a daily cleaning is definately very helpful, considering how many slobs there are out there that can do alot of damage in a work week.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:12 am

Sounds like a good idea - but I'd hope there was some sort of minimum (e.g. every other or every third day) to address the issues raised by CanuckFlyHigh.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:32 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Per usual, the Seattle Sheraton is ahead of others on good customer service! ^ This must be new. I stayed there two weeks ago and it wasn't offered at that time.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:03 am
STM
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by ldsant
Per usual, the Seattle Sheraton is ahead of others on good customer service! ^ This must be new. I stayed there two weeks ago and it wasn't offered at that time.
It is definitely new, as I had to check with Guest Services about a detail surrounding the program and the rep herself had to check on it before calling me back with an answer. I think it's a great program. The only day you can't receive the card/points is the day you check out, which makes sense, as they will have to clean the room that day (at least one hopes, right? ) So I suppose if you are there for only a one night stay, the program isn't in effect.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:25 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I would assume this is not available on the day of check out? If it is then it is a no brainer on a one night stay.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
CanuckFlyHigh makes a very good point about long-term maintenance of rooms, but that issue aside, I am glad to see this.

This is mostly because it finally makes the hotels put their money where their mouth is, so to speak, about the supposed environmental benefits that they claim to value. For years they have had those cards whereby one could opt-out of getting fresh towels or sheets (at some hotels, one now even has to opt-in).

The hotels have always said that this was for environmental reasons, but, since they were obtaining benefits but not having to pay anything for them, I found it easy to cynically assume that hotels were simply trying to save money. Now they are making some type of investment in the supposedly environmentally-friendly practices, which is appropriate if they are serious.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:26 pm

I would be all over it, too but CanuckFlyHigh does make a very valid point.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Great idea! I would opt in during most of my stays.

As I posted in the Palace/Copenhagen thread about the poorly designed bathroom, I clean up after myself. I prefer to use towels more than once. I bring my own toiletries. And I'm not a slob. Other than making a bed and minor touch-ups, there seldom is much to do in my room during a stay.

I'd love it!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
I get a bit self-conscious about someone seeing my clothes lying about, so I usually tidy before leaving a room. I've thought about trying to negotiate a discount on a room in exchange for no housekeeping, but I didn't want to look like a cheap slob and so I've never done it.

Hopefully this program grows to more hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.