Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: Q4 2008 Promo - SPG You Choose

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Well, me likey. I'll be trying to make the 10 stays and get the 25k. I might not make it but *wood found a way to encourage me to try. ^
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA gold, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by bsdstone
I am attempting to rework the math that was posted earlier in this thread...someone PLEASE correct me as maff aint my strong suit! :-)

at a cheap $100 a night for 40 1-night stays = $4,000
(obviously very difficult to do!)

You'd get
100,000 bonus starpoints
20,000 platinum amenity (40*500)
20,000 online booking (40*500)
12,000 Revenue (3*4000)
8,000 Starwood CC (2*4000)

-------------
160,000 for $4,000 = 2.5 cents per point or 40 pts per $ spent

Good math...

* 20 stays will yield the same pts/$ spent (re-qualify for plat)

*250 amenity pts at 4pts and aloft

*8x pts at aloft

any other promos to combine it with? (preferrably in chicago!)

Last edited by newlin99; Sep 15, 2008 at 6:28 pm
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
A little bug to spoil my pleasure

Booked the 'You're now earning 25,000 bonus Starpoints with every ten stays.' but the title of the email confirmation came out as 'You're Earning 25,000 Starpoints Per Every 20 Nights Through December 31, 2008.'

The body of the email relates to the correct promotion. A case of wild 'cut and paste' perhaps?

Sent to support...
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:38 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Retroactive

William, is the promo retroactive? If I can register until November 15th, and wait to do so, will stays I had between October 1st and November 14th count towards the promo?

Edited to add: I'm just stupid. Thanks to margarita girl for posting that William already answered this in post 21.

Last edited by Pizzaman; Sep 15, 2008 at 8:04 pm
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Since I am only 1 stay from Platinum requalification I will not need the nights/stays doubled. I like the idea that I have until Nov 15 to make the decision, by then I will have completed most of my travel for Q4. For me this is much better than the previous limited choices as often they did not fit well into my travel plans.

But now I have to spend money, I was waiting to see what this promo was to make a lot of bookings. Most were going to be awards, but now I am afraid a lot will be paid. That is pure evil of you SPG

If I select Questions about SPG® You Choose? Chat with Customer Support
I get
Service Unavailable
Chat service is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Sep 15, 2008 at 8:04 pm
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
Originally Posted by azepine00
It's fun to follow "% of members choosing" bar at the bottom.
Where is this status bar? For some reason I can't seem to find it on my screen. That's my only complaint about this promo.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:57 pm

Participating Properties

William -

Where can I find the participating properties for the 4Q promo. It is important in my decision.

Thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 7:13 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, OnePass Gold
Originally Posted by ImprovGal
Where is this status bar? For some reason I can't seem to find it on my screen. That's my only complaint about this promo.
you have to click on the little question mark in the top right corner of each option
a little window will pop up and the status bar is there.
"double your *points" and "each stay counts double towards elite" are pretty much neck and neck at this point

Last edited by BVsmurfette; Sep 15, 2008 at 7:18 pm
Old Sep 15, 2008, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Pizzaman
William, is the promo retroactive? If I can register until November 15th, and wait to do so, will stays I had between October 1st and November 14th count towards the promo?
Yes. See post #21 from William in this thread. I think this is a great benefit.

Originally Posted by ImprovGal
Click on the question mark (top right) of each option and status bar will appear at the bottom.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Thumbs down *yawn*

I was very excited to hear this was finally revealed and like many of you am very disappointed in SPG. It seemed that with all of the hype this was going to be something really big and new and maybe come closer to competing with Hyatt's FFN.

I'm one stay away from renewing Platinum and this doesn't seem like it would be worth the money. I'm able to use a government ID so I can typically bang out stays at $80 or so a night (at least in CMH) at either of the SPGs or Hyatt's here. So, I can spend $160 with Hyatt and earn a free night redeamable at ANY Hyatt - if used properly can easily be worth $700 - $800/night.

If I did 40 such stays for $3200 I would get:

Hyatt: 20 free nights to use at any Hyatt (assuming availability was there)
SPG: 100,000 bonus points that at the best value for a level 6 or 7 property gets me about 3 nights free at the comparable $700-$800 night property.

I think I'll choose the stay 2 for 2000 points and wrap up my SPG stay and 1 extra for the year and save the rest for requalifying next year.

Though if you're staying for business purposes than this is a good promo as just icing on the cake. Guess it wasn't really targeted for Platinum lites and mattress runners
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Hyatt

Originally Posted by GeneCMH
I was very excited to hear this was finally revealed and like many of you am very disappointed in SPG. It seemed that with all of the hype this was going to be something really big and new and maybe come closer to competing with Hyatt's FFN.

I'm one stay away from renewing Platinum and this doesn't seem like it would be worth the money. I'm able to use a government ID so I can typically bang out stays at $80 or so a night (at least in CMH) at either of the SPGs or Hyatt's here. So, I can spend $160 with Hyatt and earn a free night redeamable at ANY Hyatt - if used properly can easily be worth $700 - $800/night.

If I did 40 such stays for $3200 I would get:

Hyatt: 20 free nights to use at any Hyatt (assuming availability was there)
SPG: 100,000 bonus points that at the best value for a level 6 or 7 property gets me about 3 nights free at the comparable $700-$800 night property.

I think I'll choose the stay 2 for 2000 points and wrap up my SPG stay and 1 extra for the year and save the rest for requalifying next year.

Though if you're staying for business purposes than this is a good promo as just icing on the cake. Guess it wasn't really targeted for Platinum lites and mattress runners
So let me get this straight. You earn a free night at any Hyatt for every 2 qualifying stays? If so, I think I'll just switch to Hyatt for the rest of the year.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Nice promo! Available to all SPG members, runs for the entire 4th quarter (Oct. 1- Dec. 31), lots of choices, what's not to like? ^

(Oh, right. There are always the perennial malcontents, of whom more than a few have already posted on this thread! )

Haven't made my decision yet, but I feel there's a few possibilities there that I could benefit from. Nice to have flexibility.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by chrisinacton
So let me get this straight. You earn a free night at any Hyatt for every 2 qualifying stays? If so, I think I'll just switch to Hyatt for the rest of the year.
Err.... be careful. With the FFN promo, you have until the end of Feb/09 to redeem those nights (I believe). Useful only if you can use them in that time period.

Starpoints, as you know, don't expire. (Yes, yes, as long as you have 1 transaction a year, blah, blah...)
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:35 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by ringers
William -

Where can I find the participating properties for the 4Q promo. It is important in my decision.

Thanks.
Hi ringers,

If you are enquiring on eligible stays, all SPG participating properties are eligible.

Please refer to T&C Note 5.1 for the list of non-participating properties.

One more note: "We endeavor to keep this list up to date, but you should contact your regional Customer Contact Center for the most current information."

However, redemption for free weekend nights is only available for SPG participating properties between Cat 1 to 5.

As William has brought up earlier, the following is yet to be confirmed.

"The only possible exception might be any of these properties that happen to fall in category 5:

PLEASE NOTE: Free Night Awards at the following locations require higher Starpoint redemption amounts either because the hotel does not have standard rooms or the standard rooms it offers have a mandatory Full Board requirement in peak seasons: Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa, St. Regis Resort Bora Bora, and Le Méridien Bora Bora, Bora Bora, French Polynesia; W Maldives, Maldives; Sunset Key Guest Cottages, A Westin Resort, Key West, Florida; The Resort at Singer Island, Singer Island, Florida; Mystique, Santorini, Greece; Pine Cliff Residences, Albuferia, Portugal; and Cala Di Volpe, Hotel Pitrizza, and Hotel Romazzino, Porto Cervo, Italy. The minimum number of Starpoints required for a free night at The Resort at Singer Island, a Category 5 property, ranges from 24,000 to 64,000 Starpoints; the minimum number of Starpoints required for a free night at the Pine Cliff Residences, which is a Category 6 hotel, is 40,000 to 100,000 Starpoints; and the minimum number of Starpoints required for a free night at the other listed properties, which are all Category 7 properties, ranges from 60,000 to 140,000 Starpoints depending on the hotel, its category, its room types, the time of year, and/or its mandatory requirements. Redemptions at these hotels must be booked through your local customer contact center."

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker II; Sep 15, 2008 at 8:37 pm Reason: More info
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:39 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Pizzaman
Edited to add: I'm just stupid. Thanks to margarita girl for posting that William already answered this in post 21.
Please do not say that. I think repeating ourselves help to prevent members from making mistakes when deciding their option.

Remember, once a member selects their reward offer choice and confirms it on the site, they cannot change it later under any circumstances. That is definite.

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.