Search

PROMO: Q4 2008 Promo - SPG You Choose

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2008, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
:-: This is a great promotion - - Thanks Starwood!!! :-:
Old Sep 16, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the promo, Starwood... but I would much more appreciate these options for 1st quarter '09
Old Sep 16, 2008, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by RichMSN
It doesn't bother me for one simple reason:

People who don't stay enough to get to PLT aren't staying a whole lot anyway. It benefits me, sure, because I will reach PLT in early October rather than early December. It will benefit those who are "close, but no cigar" with their stays this year. But I will stay 25-35 stays per year anyway. As someone moving his business from Marriott, I only wish this promotion was done earlier in the year.

Those that rely on this promotion solely to reach PLT are win/win in the minds (I'm sure) of SPG/Starwood. SPG/Starwood gets extra business, the new GLD/PLT members get the warm and fuzzies, but it's unlikely to dilute those levels in a meaningful way cause those people won't stay any more next year. And if they do, well, then SPG/Starwood wins again.
There we at least two "double stay" / "double night" promotions this year. That in addition to the posted "double stay" promotions for various company's that people took advantage of.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 4:11 pm

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
thanks SPG!

Great promo,
And thanks to Lurker for posting it to FT'ers!

Happy nights!
Old Sep 16, 2008, 4:37 pm
STM

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by NYSE
I don't understand why people are not frustrated with how much easier these promos make it to become Platinum. What is the point of having status when everyone and their mom is on the same level as you and they probably obtained it a lot easier (and far cheaper) than what it took for you to do the same thing.

Anyways, I will probably just go double points as nothing else really caught my attention.
It doesn't bother me too much. As a Gold who will make Platinum by "earning" it this year, having additional Platinums doesn't devalue my status. It's not like airlines, where 30 Northwest Airline Platinums on any given flight are fighting for 12-16 available first class seats. All SPG Platinums will get a welcome amenity gift, access to club floors/rooms, concierege lines, etc. The only thing they will "compete" over might be room upgrades---and what are the true chances of an "earned" Platinum having to face off against a "fake" Platinum for the final room upgrade in any given hotel around the world on any given night. Probably not great. And even if it does happen, you'll still get a room at the hotel which is likely much closer in comparison to the upgraded room than coach is to first class.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 6:49 pm

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
Originally Posted by sziv50
just need to do some analysis tonight based on my projected stays to see how I combine this with the current Marriott promo, but I'll definitely be spending most nights at a Starwood hotel.
Ya... So my thoughts, 2x Marriott this week, 4x next week 2x the last week (mon/tue). So that gives 8 of 25 Marriott nights before 1/15/09.

I'm wondering how to get 40 SPG nights in Q4... My problem is that there just aren't enough SPG's (or any) in many of the places I go (like the entire state of Nebraska) Looks like unless I do some mattress runs I'm not going to get the 40 nights. (Though I did talk to a GM of a 4pnts... I have a great rate for friday and sunday night stays that may make sense to do)

Though hats off to SPG. and THANK YOU for not making a targeted promo this time!
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:38 pm

Programs: ALL
Originally Posted by NYSE
I don't understand why people are not frustrated with how much easier these promos make it to become Platinum. What is the point of having status when everyone and their mom is on the same level as you and they probably obtained it a lot easier (and far cheaper) than what it took for you to do the same thing.

Anyways, I will probably just go double points as nothing else really caught my attention.
Indeed. The marketing/BD strategy is clearly to get as many "on board" as Plat as possible, in the expectation that most will try to maintain that status. In the short run, dillutive to those of us who earned Plat at an average rate of $280 /night and 40 nights BIB (Butt in Bed). This "Promo" is marketing/ Business Development after-all. SPG expects that the risk of losing current plats is more than offset by the lift they will get in keeping new plats.

Am I happier with the additional 50,000 points I will earn, despite the dillution in Plat availability and status? THIS is the question each plat has to answer for themselves over the coming years. The points feel good now, as do the wall street bail-outs, but as you pay for it, your quality of life has diminished.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:31 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by bobsgt
William- PM me with your shipping address so I can FedEx you the case of Maximum Strength Excedrin(tm) you are going to need by tomorrow!
Guess u need to do that for one more person. Heh.

[email protected]
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:43 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Guess u need to do that for one more person. Heh.

[email protected]
I would suggest Xanax for dealing with everybody here
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Tiki
Hi William, you and Thyetus have confused my query with another FT member.
Hi Tiki,

Sorry for that. With so many individual promotions happening at the same time, it does get confusing for me. I was on the thought that you wanted me to agree to your calculation.

Hi all,

Nevertheless, feel free to let William or myself know if there are still questions about this promotion.

William has mentioned it earlier. It would be better if I do not agree to or perform any specific calculations. My apologies.

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker II; Sep 16, 2008 at 11:58 pm Reason: OMgdness! Grammer mistakes
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:37 am

Programs: M&M FTL, HHonors Diamond, Langham Elite, SPG Corporate Preferred
Requalification period ?

A question that is somewhat connected to this promo:

I am currently Diamond through February or March 2010. When will I have to requalify ? In other words, if I requalify this year (by choosing the double stays option), how long will that extend my status ? What if I requalify during 2009 ?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 4:03 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by huegli
A question that is somewhat connected to this promo:

I am currently Diamond through February or March 2010. When will I have to requalify ? In other words, if I requalify this year (by choosing the double stays option), how long will that extend my status ? What if I requalify during 2009 ?
If you get more than qualifying 25stays/50 nights until 31/12 then you will have Platinum status until the end of Feb 2010.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 4:14 am

Programs: M&M FTL, HHonors Diamond, Langham Elite, SPG Corporate Preferred
DownUnderFlyer,

that´s exactly my point: I already have Platinum status until February 2010. So if I requalify before 31/12/2008 that would be for nothing ? Will only a requalification in 2009 extend my status ?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 4:29 am

Hi Huegli?

Diamond?

Originally Posted by huegli
I am currently Diamond through February or March 2010. When will I have to requalify ? In other words, if I requalify this year (by choosing the double stays option), how long will that extend my status ?

Till February 28, 2010.

What if I requalify during 2009 ?
Answered this before.

"The qualifying period for Platinum Preferred Guest membership ("Platinum Membership") is from January 1st through December 31st of each year. Platinum Membership status will commence when a Member meets the Platinum Minimum Requirement in any calendar year and will continue through the remainder of the qualifying year and the next succeeding calendar year. If, in the next succeeding calendar year, the Platinum Member again meets the Platinum Minimum Requirements, then, the Platinum Member will receive a 12-month renewal of their Platinum Membership."

So, for the year of 2009, as long as you manage to "re-qualify", there will be a renewal of 12 months.

[email protected]
Old Sep 17, 2008, 6:20 am

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
i think this is a pretty good promotion.
For those who see it as confusing, remember spg is offe the chioce most of us have said wewanted instead of marketing choosing our option for us.

If you do not need this to get platinum and will do 10 stays the choice of 10 stays fo 25,000 points is hard to beat. That will be my pick, and the return seems pretty good.

i guess the only "improvement" i would suggest considering for next time --and i do hope this is not just a one off-- would be to let us pick a second option that we could choose for some stays. I will have a fairly expensive 6 nights in Paris that i do not need for my 10 stays and it would be nice to be able to choose double points for that. But perhaps that would be too complicated for SPG and me to track.

Anyway, good promo and thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.