Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: Q4 2008 Promo - SPG You Choose

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2008, 6:53 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
I love the graphic at the bottom that shows the percentage of members that have chosen a certain "promo".

Looks like double stays is at 50% already.
I think that it will be interesting to see how this changes over time. With most of the promos (but not for double stays) being retroactive if you choose later, it may be best for some people to wait before they commit to a particular promo.

Current stats:
6% - Free Weekend Night per 4 stays
2% - Free Weekend Night per 8 nights

1% - US$25 Amazon.com Gift Card per 2 stays
0% - US$25 Amazon.com Gift Card per 4 nights

30% - Double Stays/Nights
26% - Double Starpoints

14% - 2K bonus Starpoints per 2 stays
3% - 9K bonus Starpoints per 6 stays
7% - 25K bonus Starpoints per 10 stays

2% - 2K bonus Starpoints per 4 nights
2% - 9K bonus Starpoints per 12 nights
8% - 25K bonus Starpoints per 20 nights
Old Sep 16, 2008, 6:54 am

Programs: SPG Gold, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I signed up for the free weekend nights (4 stays for 1 free weekend / 8 stays for 2).

Now the usual SPG forum question: How does this work in conjunction with the Asia Mastercard promo running at the same time? (3 stays for 2 nights) ?

Another question on the same topic:

Assuming I got a "free weekend night" with this promo, is it possible to redeem online?
If not, what is the procedure for booking with these certificates?
Old Sep 16, 2008, 6:58 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by DUflyer
This is what I would have liked (similar to the "stay in all our 5 brands, get 50k points" promo a few years back):

Starwood has nine different brands. The more brands you stay at during Q4, the more Starpoints you earn:
1 brand = 5k
2 brands = 10k
3 brands = 15k
4 brands = 25k
5 brands = 35k
6 brands = 50k
7 brands = 70k
8 brands = 100k

This would have been totally exciting and would be like a treasure hunt. In Australia we have only three brands, so it would involve lots of traveling overseas.
No offense, but I am pleased you are not doing the SPGs promos . Some of us cant travel overseas extensively so these brand promos are basically useless for those of us in Australia. We do not have a huge range to choose from here and it is also difficult to get cheap Mattress runs (particulary in SYD) under $200 a night.

I think SPG have done a fine job this time around ^.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 7:08 am

Decisions, decisions hey?
Old Sep 16, 2008, 7:41 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
A lot of excitement about nothing for me. Already have Platinum status for next year and the low level of points per night/stay does not encourage me to spend any extra money. Given the tanking economy, I will wait and do my stays in the first quarter of next year.
Amen to that ... just what I was fearing yesterday would happen.

It's a shame that SPG's promo can't even come close to Hyatt's FFN promo, even though they went second.

SPG, I can take 2 stays for 2,000 bonus points or 4 stays for one free weekend night at a Category 1-5 hotel. Hyatt I get 1 free night at any Hyatt hotel and 2,000 bonus points for 2 stays.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:05 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Me also....

Originally Posted by darch1
The promo is good but not great, fair for everyone, not targeted and with a lot of options. It's a pity that september was left out (Q3 promo ended aug. 31th), since I will stay 7 nights at the Westin LV next week. It's the first time that I will have to do a lot of thinking before choosing...
One question, I read many comments about 500 points online booking bonus. Now, I've booked all my stays online and never received such a bonus. Is this targetted or only for US citizens?
...I book 95% of my bookings online and have NEVER received a 500 pt. bonus. Can one of the Lurkers please elaborate? Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by HomerJ
...I book 95% of my bookings online and have NEVER received a 500 pt. bonus. Can one of the Lurkers please elaborate? Thanks!
You need to use the special link which is only up occasionally. The link has to be active to get the bonus. Follow this thread.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:26 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Hi Lurker,

I have a reservation check in on 9/29 and check out 10/3. I would have to check out on 10/1 and check back in the same day to generate the 10/1 to 10/3 stay. Otherwise the 9/29 to 10/3 stay wouldn't count for Q4 promotion as a stay?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Only the eligible nights in October are going to count if you choose the nights method. Eligible stays would have to begin on October 1st if you choose the stays method.

Yes, everything but Stays/Nights Count Double is retroactive as long as you register during the active registration period. Stays/Nights Count Double does not take effect until you register.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:09 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by gaidamak
Another question on the same topic:

Assuming I got a "free weekend night" with this promo, is it possible to redeem online?
If not, what is the procedure for booking with these certificates?
In the past, you have to call SPG to book the reservation. There are no certificates to redeem, but your account will be noted with the number of free nights available.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Cash & Points credit?

I've tried to do a search and looked at the T&Cs on SPG.com, but can't find a definitive answer to this question:

When I do Cash & Points stays, do those count as either eligible nights or stays for any of these promotions?

I looked on SPG.com under "ineligible rates" and it doesn't seem to discuss one way or another whether Cash & Points stays count as an eligible stay/rate.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by evanswu
at a cheap $100 a night for 40 1-night stays = $4,000 for 100k points (obviously very difficult to do!)
For a business traveler to do 40 stays, they'd have to switch hotels every night, travel 4 nights per week, every week through the end of the year, except the weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Hats off to anyone who can accomplish this!!!
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:58 am

Programs: DAL Diamond, JB Mosaic, AGR Select+, SPG Plat 75, Hyatt Diamond, AXP Plat, AXP DAL Reserve, AXP SPG
Originally Posted by bkc6j
I've tried to do a search and looked at the T&Cs on SPG.com, but can't find a definitive answer to this question:

When I do Cash & Points stays, do those count as either eligible nights or stays for any of these promotions?

I looked on SPG.com under "ineligible rates" and it doesn't seem to discuss one way or another whether Cash & Points stays count as an eligible stay/rate.
Unfortunately, Cash & Point rates do not earn stay or night credit
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:04 am

Programs: yes
Since SPG made the bed, I'll lie in it!

The 25k for 10 stays was perfect for me, as I needed 10 more stays to make Plat. Since I just booked (after registering for the promo) 4 of those 10 stays at $79 with the aloft Rancho Cucamonga, and the quadruple aloft stay promo should stack (runs through Dec. 31)- this essentially makes each stay worth 3171 *points for $86.90 w elite bonus (39) x4 points (632) and the 4q (2500).

If this aloft follows past months, in about 3 weeks they should load $79 F/S rates for November, and I'll complete the stays with low cost, and secure Plat. (Last night currently bookable is 10/31 at $79). If not, the Sheraton ONT is usually $89 on F/S.

May have to go over to the community forum and start a "aloft Ongoing Friday DO" thread- I'm sure BigGuyinPasadena can be talked into it! Hmmm... 10/3 at Haandi Indian Cuisine on Haven, 10/18 at Lucille's Smokehouse BBQ on Main... This SPG promo could ruin my diet before I'm done! ( In PR for 10/10- will pick up a couple of stays there)

Thanks SPG for a promo that I will really ENJOY!
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by westlaker
Hi Lurker,

I have a reservation check in on 9/29 and check out 10/3. I would have to check out on 10/1 and check back in the same day to generate the 10/1 to 10/3 stay. Otherwise the 9/29 to 10/3 stay wouldn't count for Q4 promotion as a stay?

Thanks.
I'm curious about this too. I check in on 9/30 and out on 10/4, so want to be sure to get stay credit.

P.S. Thanks Starwood for this promotion! And I LOVE that we get to choose which promotion works best.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:20 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold, US Dividend Miles Silver
Talking

Just for william to pass along re: double stays and dilution and how those that earn the hard way...
...i'm sure that like a lot of other spg'ers I ALWAYS book stays that I otherwise wouldn't book when the double stay credit promo is going....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.